User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Off Topic  ‹  TV for gaming
  9 posts on 1 page  1
Off Topic
2011-07-30, 09:23
459 posts

Mar 2008
Hey there.

I intend to buy a new telly. I'm gonna connect a PC, xbox and Wii to it, and is therefore looking for a telly that is as good as possible when it comes to play games on it. I don't intend to play QW on it, but would like it be decent to spec QW games / watch demos on.

Since this would be my first LCD / Plasma / LED, I'm looking for some pointers in what to look for, especially which of LCD / Plasma / LED that would be best. Either in specific tips on models that you got good experience with, or things to look when buying a telly for gaming purposes. Btw, I'm not all that fussed about 3D, so I don't intend to put any extra money on the table for that tech.

Price range: 8000 - 16000 NOK (around 1000 - 2000 euro).
2011-07-30, 09:40
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
A good place to look for tips is on the Swedish forum minhembio.com. My feeling when i bought my TV like two years ago is that there are usually not more than a handful of models that are considered best value for money at any given time, so even if the forum is in Swedish you can probably make out what you should be considering.

http://www.minhembio.com/forum/index.php?s=61259036a88afbcc29141cebec4ee179&showforum=40

I also believe that if you haven't had a bigger TV before, then you'll be pretty much blown away no matter what you go for unless it's an incredibly bad buy.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2011-07-31, 01:03
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
www.flatpanels.dk is a nice site for checking out what tv to get.

esp this link: http://www.flatpanels.dk/fokusartikel.php?subaction=showfull&id=1169844738
scroll down to see some nice suggestions.
ready!
2011-07-31, 09:30
459 posts

Mar 2008
Cheers!

As it looks now, I'm going for the Panasonic TX-P50GT30Y (plasma). I don't expect anything magical from it, but as it seems it gets good reviews and works good for games, and seems like in general a good buy.
2011-07-31, 09:44
1329 posts

Apr 2006
If you intend to do gaming with it, just make sure it has little inputlag. Samsung LED TVs are great overall, but they are total waste for gaming because of the insane inputlag (60-140ms) even with "gaming mode" enabled and all the picture processing disabled. I haven't been paying attention to plasmas in a long time, since they use too much electricity, therefore I don't know if they have high or low input lag (or "processing lag", but this is something that should be googleable pretty easily.
Servers: Troopers
2011-07-31, 12:13
67 posts

Apr 2006
Panasonic G30, V30 har really nice.. dont know about inputlag.. but the V30/VT30 is no doubt the best tv out there today...

2011-08-01, 09:42
459 posts

Mar 2008
Decided to go for the VT30 instead, due to better blackness level and 24p/96hz playback (no missing frames on watching stuff recorded @ 24fps, like bluerays).

The monitor has an input lag of 24ms according to some tests, which seems to be very good compared to other screen from what I've read. In general, plasma screens seems to have much less input lag than LCD's. From what I've understood, it's mainly the difference in the tech the different screens uses when shifting a pixel from one color to another. From what I've read, the energy usage has been greatly reduced the latest years on plasmas as well, and they're now very close to LCD's energy consumption.

I also got warned about burn-ins on Panasonic plasmas, but I decided to ignore that for now since the advantages when it comes to screen size, image quality & input lag on plasmas compared to price seems too large atm (even though you don't get such a sharp image compared to LCD due to rounded pixels). I'll instead try to be careful with it, specially around channels with static logos on it. Only time will tell if I'm wrong on this conclusion :-)

I don't really care about 3D, but it seems like most 2011 screens that got 3D included performs better than 2010 models without 3D on 2D even, so I just concider it a curiousity bonus that I will check out.

It's not 100% yet, but most probably I'll end on the Panasonic TX-P50VT30.

Thanks for the help!
2011-08-01, 09:51
15 posts

Jul 2007
Try out Wipeout HD or Motorstorm with 3D!
2011-08-01, 22:41
67 posts

Apr 2006
I also got warned about burn-ins on Panasonic plasmas, <<--- thats bullshit

panasonic plasmas can stand 4 days (96hours) without a permanent burn..

and i use my computer and play alot of xbox on my LG 50PK760 no perm burn yet in one year. but dont play with fire.. dont leave it over night with a static picture
  9 posts on 1 page  1