User panel stuff on forum
  41 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
General Discussion
2011-07-29, 23:06
370 posts

Mar 2008
The new FTE has antilag built in, Just edit your server.cfg and ass sv_antilag too. I used the new fte server and fodffa 1.7, But my fodffa was modified for a few people so there's some neat server stuff on it.
2011-07-30, 06:06
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
well death32c is exactly like that johnny.. big with LOADS of weapons/armors and anything you need to get into the action quick. Only downside is that it requires like at least 12 ppl to be playable.

I still think my proposal is best.. roundrobin with auto redirect to next port so quake.xs4all.nl could still be main server.
And alternatively try some ffa servers with bots and good map packs. I have a "nice maps list" from going through about 4000 maps and it's biiiig =)
ready!
2011-07-30, 08:03
226 posts

Mar 2007
One of the most popular FFA servers was finnish "Large" server running Death32 24/7.
Is there any news about multiplayer bots? FreakBot?
As Johnny said in FFA you need RL/LG to be part of the action.

I think it's really sad that we've 2 pretty useless weapons, ng and sng, especially on FFA. Maybe there could be different weapons in FFA? I bet there're plenty selfmade weapon models we could use, ie. plasmagun.
2011-07-30, 08:38
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
well it was popular but as the scene grew smaller there was just not enough ppl to populate such a big map.. and noone wants to run around on death32c with 3 other ppl.
ready!
2011-07-30, 11:28
370 posts

May 2006
I'm with ParadokS on the round-robin, but someone needs to mod that and it can be put to action.

XS4ALL used to have big maps only (eXmX and bigger custom maps) but since the scene likes the small maps now more the bigger maps are neglected and hated. I'm up for putting the player limit down to twelve (that's still pretty high on small maps like pkeg1/dm4) but I'll only do that when the auto-redirect is in place.

Also I've heard a lot of complaints throughout the years about how the mapcycle sucks, but I've rarely gotten any really constructive criticism about WHICH maps are actually that terrible (and when I check the server those 'terrible' small maps are actually packed with people). What I do get every now and then again are maps which are tipped for the maplist and sometimes they are spot on.

Another thing about the mapcycle, it contains 24 maps now I think that's about a good amount, not sure how other people think about that.

And as said again, we are talking about being newbie friendly so the most hated maps in the mappool (dm3 and e1m2) are needed for those players to learn the basics of the map. I will NOT add modified tournament maps in the cycle (dm6++ / dm3 new) as that will only confuse the newer people, if that's of any interest anyway.

I'll be back later with some more stuff I'd like to say and add to this discussion .
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2011-07-30, 12:56
485 posts

Feb 2006
One thing that puts people off on the big unfamiliar maps is that they never find the powerups. Because QW has no marking where stuff will spawn, it can be really hard to find out. Yes, you could load the map offline, but I doubt anyone bothers, it's easier to just vote next map.

So, if the ffa mod could mark the spots for major items somehow, it might make these maps a little more popular.
2011-07-30, 19:27
188 posts

Feb 2008
About episode maps and other big ones (like death32c ): At least in the last 2-3 weeks when I played they where played through like all others, its more certain folks that try to get to the next one until the rest gives in (yesterday or so one individual named Charlie spammed the console for 3-4 min. literally with /nextmap, quiete annoying, still the other players just went on).

But I remember occasions where some maps where /nextmapped in rapid fashion, not really enjoyable for the less vocal players.

There is at least 1-2 new maps now? Nice, 1 I never saw before, cool.
2011-07-30, 23:04
News Writer
309 posts

Sep 2006
Kalma wrote:
One thing that puts people off on the big unfamiliar maps is that they never find the powerups. Because QW has no marking where stuff will spawn, it can be really hard to find out. Yes, you could load the map offline, but I doubt anyone bothers, it's easier to just vote next map.

So, if the ffa mod could mark the spots for major items somehow, it might make these maps a little more popular.

Actually, new Muffin's maps (ctl5 and ctl6) have it when it comes to weapons. The spots are marked which is a great idea
2011-08-01, 11:31
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Kapitan Kloze wrote:
Kalma wrote:

Actually, new Muffin's maps (ctl5 and ctl6) have it when it comes to weapons. The spots are marked which is a great idea

imo the powerups should be marked also
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2011-08-01, 12:13
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
ahh, the old what-should-we-do-to-get-more-rookies-into-qw discussion!

1) FFA (what is being discussed)
Paradoks round robin idea is good. maxplayers is a good point. yesterday i played on xs4all, and indeed the pace is too high. but imo the maxplayers can't be reduced until we have paradoks idea executed. I suggest that smaller maps should be removed from the map pool now, until paradoks idea can be done. Then, with 2 ffa ports, maxplayers can be finetunned in both ports. smaller maps should always be on the secondary port

2) Theme nights
Sometimes routine is a good thing. and theme nights is a way to vary qw experience. my point is, there's so much to play in qw, but in 99% of the times we play the same mod. My suggestion is to every night "we" can play something different and have opponents to do it. im thinking of midair*, dmm4*, instagib*, Clan arena, one for each weekday. (*) the necessary number of ports would be setup in a series of pre elected servers, which players can join and play. This would be advertised automatically in irc and on the forum.

now, two suggestions for improving this idea:
* automatic statistics (on qw.nu stats site)
* on Rocket Arena ppl would get in line to play, the loser walks out and gets replaced. i honestly cant remember if this has already been done for other mods, like midair. but this is a great, simple way of everybody getting a chance to play in 1on1 battles like midair, dmm4.

Is this (2) hard to do? i don't think so. someone decide, i suggest voting, and lets DO something, as a team!

my2cents
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2011-08-01, 14:15
87 posts

Apr 2011
I would certainly attend instagib, midair and dmm4 nights. ^^

A dmm4 tournament or ladder of some sort would be great fun.

As for the Arena system: There's a similar custom when playing dmm4: winner stays, but not integrated into the mod
  41 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page