User panel stuff on forum
  42 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
General Discussion
2011-06-29, 19:05
50 posts

Oct 2009
I know those, only with "weapon" command in ezQuake. Actually I think I read somewhere that it won't work with impulse command, or will it?
2011-06-29, 19:07
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Patrol1985: the top bar on this site also contains link to ezQuake's website, where there's a big "Manual" link in the menu. Have you been missing anything in the manual or you just haven't found it? (I don't blame you if you haven't, I'm just curious to know) Also link to the manual is present in your quake/ezquake/manual dir.

Also, what console commands you needed to type in to be able to play? Why were menus not enough for the configuration?

I agree rookie FFA is not propagated enough.
2011-06-29, 19:09
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
In my opinion the default configuration of nQuake should be so good that there should be virtually no modding required, even on config level, to make the game enjoyable for a player from another game. Is this not the case, Patrol 1985, or was it weapon script in specific that you were looking for? (which would actually confuse a new player more than it would help if it was made default)
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2011-06-29, 19:27
685 posts

Jul 2007
Patrol1985 wrote:
I know those, only with "weapon" command in ezQuake. Actually I think I read somewhere that it won't work with impulse command, or will it?

It WILL. I've switched between Ezquake and Fodquake and prefer 'impulse' because it works in ALL qw clients. Using something else makes no sense to me, especially when still experimenting with different clients.
2011-06-29, 19:36
50 posts

Oct 2009
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Patrol1985: the top bar on this site also contains link to ezQuake's website, where there's a big "Manual" link in the menu. Have you been missing anything in the manual or you just haven't found it? (I don't blame you if you haven't, I'm just curious to know) Also link to the manual is present in your quake/ezquake/manual dir.

I found it, but via google, not the top bar. The top bar contains useful info, but it could be a little bit bigger - I didn't notice it at first when browsing through the site. The manual was really helpful, but it contains each and every command so I had to do some searching. The guide I linked to earlier was what really helped me as it goes through configuration step by step listing all the popular CVAR values.

JohnNy_cz wrote:
Also, what console commands you needed to type in to be able to play? Why were menus not enough for the configuration?

Perhaps I missed it, but I couldn't find such things as cl_r2g in the menus. I also wanted to turn off rocket smoke, change the explosion type. I even had problems with changing the crosshair. I used my intuition and typed "crosshair" in the console, played with the values and saw that nothing changed. After some searching and reading I found out that I had to remove the custom crosshair (crosshairimage if I recall correctly) to use default crosshairs.

I also had some problems with demo/screenshot/config saving. It turned out I had to give QW admin rights in the system (I use windows 7), otherwise it wouldn't save anything. Guys at #qwrookie told me that.

EDIT: Curiosity told me to look more carefully through the menus now. The options are there! I just didn't notice the brown scroll bar to the right. I thought that all the options were contained on a single screen - my mistake.

Ake Vader wrote:
In my opinion the default configuration of nQuake should be so good that there should be virtually no modding required, even on config level, to make the game enjoyable for a player from another game. Is this not the case, Patrol 1985, or was it weapon script in specific that you were looking for? (which would actually confuse a new player more than it would help if it was made default)

I agree about the weapon scripts being confusing for new players, but certainly there are some options that are not default, but are used by near everyone. Is there anyone who doesn't use bright skins?
2011-06-29, 19:58
1435 posts

Jan 2006
The thing with weapon scripts is that I find it impossible to come up with a reasonable GUI that'd help you to set all the possible combinations (all the key1 - 8 7 5 2, key2 - 3 5 2 1, etc...), I think that every attempt on making this configurable via menu must end with some overly complicated and confusing GUI. Also I never really used those prioritized selections - I always select the weapon I want. I will never remember what's the second weapon on given key in case I'm out of ammo for the priority weapon.

Anyway, next version of ezQuake will at least support select+fire action on single key without need for aliases.
2011-06-29, 20:22
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Patrol1985 wrote:
I found it, but via google, not the top bar. The top bar contains useful info, but it could be a little bit bigger - I didn't notice it at first when browsing through the site.

Agreed - I'd like to see it made more prominent. Actually with widescreen aspects now mainstream I think the page could be optimsed better in general to make sure of the horizontal space, something like a 1280x800 resolution would be ideal. Whether there is the resource/desire to make any changes to the site design I'm not sure, however.

I also didn't realise until a year or two back that some of the menus in ezquake could be scrolled down, but to be fair I don't use the default nquake setup so it may be less visible with my settings.

Anyway thanks for your feedback on QW in general, it is quite rare to find somebody who is a relative novice to the game write with such constructive eloquence and detail about our game
2011-06-29, 21:05
793 posts

Feb 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
... set all the possible combinations (all the key1 - 8 7 5 2, key2 - 3 5 2 1, etc...), I think that every attempt on making this configurable via menu must end with some overly complicated and confusing GUI. ...

actually, just to comment on that specific point, what ezquake needs above all is two preselections for the weapon setup. maybe 'beginner' and 'advanced'. hide all customization options under 'advanced options'. this goes for a lot of the (awesome but confusing) menu options in ezquake at the moment.
2011-06-29, 21:31
News Writer
309 posts

Sep 2006
Patrol - hit me anytime on #qw.pl, #dc-pl or #slackers
I'll help you with everything on the spot!

P.S. Zajebiśce że ktoś nowy z PL. Witaj !! )
2011-06-29, 21:36
685 posts

Jul 2007
JohnNy_cz wrote:
I will never remember what's the second weapon on given key in case I'm out of ammo for the priority weapon.

Who needs to remember anything? Basicly it's the same as remembering what key you bound to 1 specific weaopn, like in other fps games, with the difference that when it runs out of ammo, another, pre-defined, weapon will fire.
2011-06-29, 21:59
50 posts

Oct 2009
HangTime wrote:
Anyway thanks for your feedback on QW in general, it is quite rare to find somebody who is a relative novice to the game write with such constructive eloquence and detail about our game

Thank you for kind words! Like I said, I was VERY positively surprised by the community, so I decided to share my thoughts, maybe you can use them for something. You guys are doing an awesome job promoting QW and I like the maturity of the QW scene. A very nice change from what I've witnessed in some newer games.

Kapitan Kloze wrote:
Patrol - hit me anytime on #qw.pl, #dc-pl or #slackers
I'll help you with everything on the spot!

P.S. Zajebiśce że ktoś nowy z PL. Witaj !! )

Thanks for your willingness to help! I will add the channels to my favourites
2011-07-11, 00:14
370 posts

Mar 2008
The same thing happens on my server, Noobies come in and I welcome them to have some fun. And they die...die...and die some more. Nobody is cheating, And I've never seen someone cheat in QW in all my years of FFA.

You can't get better buy playing someone a lower skill level than you.
  42 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page