User panel stuff on forum
  29 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2011-03-04, 08:06
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
:::IRC:::

An IRC bot for #quakeworld channel that relay all official results from all tournaments and newsposts from various sites and new forum topics.

The bot jezeaja(?) created back in the day to search servers for players or group of players using !QW FP player should be implemented into serve-me bot. It had a homepage connected so you could make an account with search words and a password.. like !qw sr would search for a list of players assigned to the sr alias - this list i could modify on the homepage using a password I was provided with.

I know the bots HLDS and Krulowafal has these features somewhat implemented. Perhaps some of the kurwas running those bots could step up and help out

:::TOURNAMENTS:::
A tournament site where we can create our own tournaments with various systems (league, seedings, groups, single elim, double elim, ladder). This way it's easier to create online and LAN tournaments independent of EQL. Could provide more activity and diversity in the scene.

Duelmania Nations revived. This was a great project that involved a lot of localized community activity. With customized gfx for each nations site and native language used there. The follow up tournament for this had the winners or top players from each country battle it out in a top player tournament at the end. Was epic, what happened to this?

Where can we find duelmania "site" so we can do this again? There was also some gfx.zip where people could customize colors/fonts/banner and such pretty easy.

:::SERVERS:::
FFA servers in every country, with bots on them using various map packs.
FodFFA + frikbot was recommended, but I don't know how to set it up
But I can provide a lot of nice map packs. Since I am processing most of the maps for the maps.qwnu project I list all the nice/interesting maps I come across. The list is already pretty comprehensive.

:::COMMUNICATION:::
The latest ezquake comes with VOIP - NICE!
... oh except, you can't use it if you are on qwfwd.. bleh?
I guess we are still stuck with mumble/teamspeak/ventrilo. I hear mumble is opensource and the latest version can record sessions.
I would REALLY like some auto record function that would start to record a session when countdown of match began. Much like auto demo recording works.

I guess this would cut work down CONSIDERABLY making live commentary sessions available post games (immediately actually) after big games. So we don't have to wait weeks for them be processed, edited etc.
And could also be fun to revisit some games with voice without having to worry about syncing. Since it would work kind of like "subtitles".. If a file with same filename as demo was present, you would have option to play with voice or without

What is your wishlist?
ready!
2011-03-04, 09:49
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
I would like the stats to be connected to an account somehow. So that i am the only one collecting stats with my ID, be it "Hooraytio" or some other way to collect my stats no matter what nick im using. I guess this would need some login?

What would be really cool would be some weekly show on youtube with clips from past weeks league games, much like some kind of weekly sports journal, and 2-3 guys talking about the games, players, drama etc. But who has the time for this?

Things like this and the stuff ParadokS mentioned could attract a larger crowd (are there really more ppl out there who would wanna try quake or are we kidding ourselves?)
Chosen
2011-03-04, 11:03
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
I really want extended irc bot features like the ones you mentioned. I'd do it if I knew how. Couldn't be that hard!
Join us on discord.quake.world
2011-03-04, 11:05
News Writer
254 posts

Mar 2006
Hooraytio wrote:
I would like the stats to be connected to an account somehow. So that i am the only one collecting stats with my ID, be it "Hooraytio" or some other way to collect my stats no matter what nick im using. I guess this would need some login?

We've devised a mechanism we hope will achieve this, as part of the new ladder/stats project. Will need to be tested thoroughly but if it works and proves succesful then we can seperate it out and make it a Service. Fingers crossed.
I ain't got no time for this jibber jabber fool
2011-03-04, 19:20
7 posts

Mar 2011
Duelmania Nations revived. This was a great project that involved a lot of localized community activity. With customized gfx for each nations site and native language used there. The follow up tournament for this had the winners or top players from each country battle it out in a top player tournament at the end. Was epic, what happened to this?

PLEASE DO THIS, I will compete for the glory of NA
2011-03-04, 20:59
212 posts

Apr 2006
My wish is singular actually. And probably one that will never come true. I only "returned", if you want to call it that, about 1 week ago, checking out the scene, reading about the games and all the changes that I had missed over the years. When I loaded up Ezquake and fixed my settings, it's just wow, a completely different game than the day I left. The game just feels and plays so adanced, it's amazing - all is good here. What I'd really love to see is an increase of players of about 58668565465% percent overnight. Tomorrow there should be 25 random news sites, qw drama everywhere, local scenes, clan sites (good and lousy ones), players that are actually stupid morons I can hate, cheaters and aimbots on the ffa servers, "server is full"-messages on 70% of servers you try to join and long waiting lists of QW only lans.

Who can code this?
2011-03-04, 21:56
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
andy wrote:
Who can code this?

Didn't id software kinda do that with QuakeLive? Looking at the comments on ESR it at least looks like that :/

I don't think that a player increase of "58668565465% percent overnight" would do our community much good. Seeing the amount of active clans in EQL double, with half new players and half old players returning would be a much better thing to wish for.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't need the stupid morons, the cheaters and the 24/7 full servers. I'd rather be a part of a community where you know who most people are, where you have friendly rivalry with fellow clans, and where most know and is in someway involved in the history of the scene.

I think playing n00bs and unknowns might be fun for a few weeks, but I wouldn't want to trade it for what we have today.
2011-03-04, 22:06
11 posts

Feb 2010
i wish a proper netcode with independent physics of ping and other innovations like antilag which are widely used in modern games such as quakelive, valve's games etc
2011-03-04, 22:39
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
I would like /scores (which requests the time remaining from the server) to resync the ezquake gameclock - it's really annoying when you reconnect during a game and have to wait for the next minute to tick by before it syncs (especially if it's a pent minute meaning you are late)
2011-03-04, 22:47
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Zalon wrote:
I'd rather be a part of a community where you know who most people are, where you have friendly rivalry with fellow clans, and where most know and is in someway involved in the history of the scene.

I think playing n00bs and unknowns might be fun for a few weeks, but I wouldn't want to trade it for what we have today.

One thing I miss is the days of finding 'new' clans to play... say 10+ years ago you would see, meet and challenge these new clans around Europe that you had never really heard of. Even in leagues (Villains/Smackdown) you would get paired with some strange team and would look around to try and find demos of them etc. Nowadays while it is a nice 'community feel' where everyone knows everyone, it is a bit boring at times.
2011-03-04, 23:05
212 posts

Apr 2006
It's not that I like those morons and cheaters so much, but they are part of a "strong" community in which not everyone knows everyone because it's so small. Don't get me wrong Zalon, it's nice that the players left are grown ups one can talk to properly, a certain behaviour and style can be expected and basically everyone treats everyone else with respect. Moreover, qw in its current form probably wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the remaining core players. But just as Hangtime mentioned, it was also interesting to find "new" teams, or at least those you've never heard of before. There actually were teams that you never ever played, maybe because they were from another country or because they were just "out of your league".
2011-03-04, 23:24
405 posts

Jan 2006
ParadokS wrote:
:::COMMUNICATION:::
The latest ezquake comes with VOIP - NICE!
... oh except, you can't use it if you are on qwfwd.. bleh?

you can, with updated mvdsv and ezquake.
<3
2011-03-05, 02:30
64 posts

Jan 2009
What stupid wishes you all have, there's only one wish in my mind.
Remove dm2 from the map pool
2011-03-05, 09:14
485 posts

Feb 2006
rkd wrote:
Remove dm2 from the duel map pool

FYP
2011-03-05, 12:24
245 posts

Jan 2006
Kalma wrote:
rkd wrote:
Remove dm2 from the duel map pool

FYP

dm2 is the best map! :-P
2011-03-07, 13:27
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
HangTime wrote:
One thing I miss is the days of finding 'new' clans to play... say 10+ years ago you would see, meet and challenge these new clans around Europe that you had never really heard of. Even in leagues (Villains/Smackdown) you would get paired with some strange team and would look around to try and find demos of them etc. Nowadays while it is a nice 'community feel' where everyone knows everyone, it is a bit boring at times.

EQL13 Division Table wrote:
Aut Vincere Aut Mori
Concept BlitzKrieg
Dinosaurus & Noobs
Fairy Tail
Itäkylän Harraste Quake
Lava Beds
Oddballs
Pew Pew Blaster
Slackers II
WarPigs
You Must Be Judged!

That's like 30% new teams in the "leagues", but i guess that doesn't count? :/

That actually makes for another wish from the good old days, that people would either stick with/join established clans or atleast come up with names that doesn't sound like they were made up by a kid from kindergarten.
2011-03-07, 13:37
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
I really wish that players wouldnt start new clans each season.
1 or 2 new teams each season is perhaps inevitable but having 10 new teams just makes it harder when it comes to forming good divisions.
It also totally takes away the ability to promote/demote clans between season, but this part never really worked anyway.
Chosen
2011-03-07, 14:17
212 posts

Apr 2006
Zalon wrote:
That's like 30% new teams in the "leagues", but i guess that doesn't count? :/

That actually makes for another wish from the good old days, that people would either stick with/join established clans or atleast come up with names that doesn't sound like they were made up by a kid from kindergarten.

I'm not sure if they count for that matter, because as you already implied, it's mainly the same teams as usual, with mixed lineups and under new names. You can't blame anyone, most teams have something like 4-8 members nowadays, when 1 or 2 are inactive for a few weeks the whole clan dies - and the active remaining players will go elsewhere. As I said, no problem with that, but one shouldn't understand new teamnames created by old players as really new blood here When I followed the "is Diki allowed to join a Div2 clan"-discussion, somewhere I read something like "well, he has to join a div1 team then", that's what I meant. A clan/team seems to no longer represent (at least in some cases) a group of people you really want to be a part of, but just a bunch of nicknames you happen to play with for a while. Again, not judging here or something, it's probably the only solution how players can continously play.
2011-03-07, 14:55
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
andy wrote:
I'm not sure if they count for that matter, because as you already implied, it's mainly the same teams as usual, with mixed lineups and under new names.

In regards to what HT said, I think it does... He was wishing for teams he didn't know. I know that he didn't mean new teams with old players, but it's still new teams with a mix of players who might not have played together as a team before. It should still give him the trouble of figuring out how they will play/perform.

andy wrote:
You can't blame anyone, most teams have something like 4-8 members nowadays, when 1 or 2 are inactive for a few weeks the whole clan dies - and the active remaining players will go elsewhere.

It's the "go elsewhere" part I think is damaging, but I guess that today most players doesn't feel more of a connection to their team other than the 5 minutes they used to come up with the name.

andy wrote:
As I said, no problem with that, but one shouldn't understand new teamnames created by old players as really new blood here

No and I don't, I would just rather see the teams being somewhat consistent, and then a few names changing instead.

andy wrote:
A clan/team seems to no longer represent (at least in some cases) a group of people you really want to be a part of, but just a bunch of nicknames you happen to play with for a while. Again, not judging here or something, it's probably the only solution how players can continously play.

You are right about the first part, but I'll have to disagree about it being the only solution players have. I often see 3-4 players from a team being consistent in a new team they have just formed. I guess it's because that the only energy you have to put into building a clan today, is coming up with a prefix and clicking submit on the signup form for EQL.
2011-03-07, 15:01
485 posts

Feb 2006
Of course anyone can join any team pre-season. Diki tried to join after divisions were set.
2011-03-07, 15:08
212 posts

Apr 2006
Zalon wrote:
You are right about the first part, but I'll have to disagree about it being the only solution players have. I often see 3-4 players from a team being consistent in a new team they have just formed. I guess it's because that the only energy you have to put into building a clan today, is coming up with a prefix and clicking submit on the signup form for EQL.

At least we agree on preferring the same kind of continuity Just loved the idea of clans many years ago, when you had the same teams playing for a longer time and one could actually follow them over the years and how they did. Joining or creating a NEW team wasn't that unlikely, but a real clan change was always a big topic, with information on the website etc. Nowadays - as you correctly stated about the 5 mins to agree on a clanname - clans no longer have a webpage (I cant remember many teams that in 2000 to be honest) and basically everything seems exchangeable incl. its members. Similarities to today's marriages may be detectable
2011-03-07, 15:08
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
I dont know if I would have the energy to play if it wasnt for Chosen. Cant really see myself playing elsewhere now. Sure we have always been active on the transfer market but atleast we have kept somewhat of a core

Did a lot of jumping around before joining csn because almost every clan i was in up and died between seasons...
It is nice to have the same team to come back to each season.
Chosen
2011-03-07, 15:57
693 posts

Jan 2006
andy wrote:
Zalon wrote:

At least we agree on preferring the same kind of continuity Just loved the idea of clans many years ago, when you had the same teams playing for a longer time and one could actually follow them over the years and how they did. Joining or creating a NEW team wasn't that unlikely, but a real clan change was always a big topic, with information on the website etc. Nowadays - as you correctly stated about the 5 mins to agree on a clanname - clans no longer have a webpage (I cant remember many teams that in 2000 to be honest) and basically everything seems exchangeable incl. its members. Similarities to today's marriages may be detectable

In TSW 1999/2000 we had TWO websites - one to list our members and results and another where we basically just put trashtalk about each other and our opponents \o/

I agree that nowadays people seem to jump clans too much without much thought to loyalty. I have played in two clans where I really felt part of a tight-knit group (TSW and Osams), and to be honest I can't imagine having it any other way. os|stefan put it best - we were on a ferry between Stockholm and Helsinki, all drunk as skunks, and he slurred out "Osams is not just a clan - it's a fucking family". Word stefan, word.
2011-03-07, 17:28
36 posts

Mar 2006
Osams4life mang.

I feel a bit sorry for the people that do swap around so much, that they can't 'put down roots' as it were. There's not much stability like that. Osams will be the last team I'll play for.

One thing that came to mind for my wishlist, is to have something like the integrated Steam features in qw. It's just really handy to have instant access to see which of your friends are in game, to be easily able to join on them, to send messages to them whilst theyre in game and vice versa. It's probably not so needed now with the centralised QTV site and with how lightweight qw is, it's easy to jump on a server and talk to them. All this works in game too with the overlay. Even has an integrated webbrowser so you can surf in-game.

http://i.imgur.com/NbKMF.png

It even records previous names people have used

http://i.imgur.com/vJnfF.png

Edit: Haha just noticed that guys playing on a foppa.dk server, nice coincidence
2011-05-03, 17:36
20 posts

Mar 2010
Deffinately need more ffa servers playing lots of great custom maps with bots waiting in them. It will kickstart so many other games of ffa off other than xs4all. Just pushes the noobs in right direction.

It seems a longshot but has no one ever approached gamespot or some other big gaming site to do an article on quakeworld, especially given its age. And a download link on their site of legal nquake would be fantastic . Its the only real way of bringing new people to the game - with ofcourse noob friendly servers.

Id happily pay some cash for the 'advertising pot' if anyone else would consider it. Just came back to qw (again) and its sad to see not many servers bustling
2011-05-06, 10:22
139 posts

Feb 2011
I would like to see more custom 4on4 maps being played at mix games. People play mix games everyday and 98% of the times dm3 is being played. Give the custom maps a chance people!!
2011-05-06, 11:22
212 posts

Apr 2006
Subscribed. However, I found that dm2 is also in the mix regularly now. I don't think in a real random mix you will ever find 8 players willing to play a "new" map - the majority always favours dm3 (or dm2). Since there are no responsibilities at all in a mix, people rather play not at all if they believe the game is not going to be enjoyable. If you're the only one who would like to play a "strange" map, and there are 3 others who don't, you can't block the server waiting for other players who are also interested in this

I would recommend establishing some sort of agreement amongst the community that says (for example) Wednesday nights on foppa3 are reserved for mixed games on episode maps, Thursdays for custom maps (of course, only if demand for it exists).
2011-05-06, 11:45
139 posts

Feb 2011
yeah , its just that i don't understand why dm3 dm2 and e1m2 is the only maps being played, in mix, in pracc, in eql, in nqr (some cmt maps in nqr)
its been 15 years now ;D

example, Zakas, Naughty Brickworks , plupp and bsp's map bay12 would be nice to try at mix
2011-05-06, 13:52
693 posts

Jan 2006
The NQR 4on4 ladder has loads of custom maps available to try, but no one is playing them. Admittedly, there have only been 11 games in ~3 weeks, but every map except for 6 have been on TB3. Those other 6 have been split equally between CMT1b and CMT3.
  29 posts on 1 page  1