User panel stuff on forum
  18 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2011-01-14, 18:59
188 posts

Feb 2008
I've started to play some QW on quake.xs4all.nl:27500 with ezquake 1.9 and 2.something and fodquake. Both clients are fluid and awesome, especially ezq 2 (linux boxen here, Ubuntu 10.4 i386) . Auto downloading is great and fast.
However, all 3 hang on "checking models" when ztndm4 comes up from the map rotation. There is another map (don't know the name) that I have (loading image comes up) that makes all of them crash on load.
Note that darkplaces has none of the above issues but it's not ideal for QW mp.
Any ideas?
2011-01-14, 21:03
230 posts

Jan 2006
Maybe I'm on the wrong track here but could it have something to do with the different versions of ztndm4 that has been released?
The client usually states the reason when there is a different version of the map on the server than you have installed but maybe that is different on Linux!?!
You could probably check this by either deleting/renaming the map and let the client download it again from xs4all.
2011-01-14, 21:09
188 posts

Feb 2008
Good idea, i will try it.

Ups, no, ztndm4 is the exact same like the one in my Darkplaces installation, and darkplaces works.
will try it anyway
2011-01-14, 22:57
60 posts

Nov 2010
It's problem with the MTU. Find out your current value and rise it to the maximum for your connection type.
2011-01-15, 17:10
685 posts

Jul 2007
leopold wrote:

Ups, no, ztndm4 is the exact same like the one in my Darkplaces installation, and darkplaces works.
will try it anyway

You mean you can connect to xs4all with Darkplaces or just that Darkplaces will load offline?

If u try to connect to a server that has another version of the same map, then you can't connect. U must first delete that map and it will auto download on next connect.
2011-01-15, 18:53
188 posts

Feb 2008
Hmm. Question remains: why does DarkPlaces work then? (did not try to fiddle with the MTU, works fine for >5 years of all kind of weird internet traffic.
I need a relative low one for other stuff (VPN) to work and I don't want to tweak it just for QW, assuming that the MTU is the real reason.
2011-01-16, 21:07
188 posts

Feb 2008
megalodon wrote:
leopold wrote:

will try it anyway

You mean you can connect to xs4all with Darkplaces or just that Darkplaces will load offline?

If u try to connect to a server that has another version of the same map, then you can't connect. U must first delete that map and it will auto download on next connect.

Yep. When ezquake (or fodquake) fails, i F10 and start DarkPlaces with +connect ... and it works everytime.
2011-02-04, 00:22
685 posts

Jul 2007
Have u manually deleted the map or not. Cause that should be step 1.
2011-02-04, 00:41
405 posts

Jan 2006
leopold wrote:
Yep. When ezquake (or fodquake) fails, i F10 and start DarkPlaces with +connect ... and it works everytime.

Sounds like special street magic.
<3
2011-02-04, 00:54
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
i had same problem actually.. some maps wouldn't load, think it was a2, perhaps also the ztn.

but when i deleted the maps and it auto downloaded them from server they loaded fine. But dno.. it was weird.. maybe xs4all has different versions than other more "normal" ktx servers. I believe i even checked the filesizes and they were identical, but dno... something funky happend though
ready!
2011-02-08, 16:51
188 posts

Feb 2008
megalodon wrote:
Have u manually deleted the map or not. Cause that should be step 1.

It's binary identical to the one in my Darkplaces install and that one (using darkplaces on the same server) works. So no, i did not delete it.
And it happens on other maps too.
When the ez/fodquake crashing map comes up, I see:
qonference '98 tournament map
written in the console, may help to identify it's name because I forgot to note it down (again, darkplaces works no problemo works here too).
2011-02-08, 17:30
685 posts

Jul 2007
The reason why I said to delete the map that gives an error, is because it usually means a different version of the map was already on your drive which is in-compatible with the version on the server, which has nothing to do with the client. Especially when you mention all 3 hang on "checking models" when ztndm4 comes up from the map rotation. If there's a different version of the map in your your Darkplaces map dir, then it would also cause a problem, trust me.

However, now you added that multiple maps also give problems...

One mistake that people often make is to have just 1 quake installation and use both a (net)quake client (Darkplaces, Qrack, Fitzquake, etc) and a QW client (Ezquake). This certainly will always give problems with settings, although it still doesn't explain the map problem.

The only thing worth trying from my perspective is to create a separate folder for Quakeworld, including the pak0.pak, pak1.pak and use the proper folder structure. Maps for QW do NOT belong in QuakeWorld/id/maps but in QuakeWorld/qw/maps. But keep that map folder EMPTY for now and just let the client download maps itself. The Ezquake .exe goes in the main QuakeWorld folder.

I always keep Quake separated from QuakeWorld this way. I personally have 3 Quake folders for normal Quake, Ezquake and Fodquake and all of them use different settings/variables and thus need different autoexec.cfg's, so they can't use the same quake folder.

KEEP THINGS SEPARATED or you'll always have problems.
2011-02-09, 16:10
188 posts

Feb 2008
To clear up, darkplaces has it's own Installation aka $HOME/DarkPlaces while ezquake and friends are installed in $HOME/Quake/. But separating netquake and qw stuff may be worth trying, thanks for the tip.
2011-02-10, 00:48
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Definitely delete your copies of the maps that are causing you trouble. Could be something as simple as the version you have being vis'd, and the version on the server not.
2011-03-08, 10:55
188 posts

Feb 2008
Ok, generated a new QuakeWorld dir, put id1 and ezquake in, made a qw dir and started FFAing on said server. After downloading ztndm4, quiting and reconnecting everything seems to be fine.
This should indicate that it was not a MTU issue although in between several routing and other network parameters may have changed.
If it was the copy of the map causing the trouble, ez and fudquake should have noticed that.

Still a little unsatisfied because the root cause remains unknown/has to be guessed.

Thanks to anyone that helped nevertheless
2011-03-09, 16:58
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
can we have qtv on the ffa servers?
2011-03-27, 06:57
2 posts

Jun 2008
leopold wrote:
Still a little unsatisfied because the root cause remains unknown/has to be guessed.

damaged pak0/pak1 files can do lot of "mysterious" errors, imho its that case.
i played once mvd demo from aerowalk and it kept stopping at exact place/time...
had to download pak0/pak1 again, replaced them and it worked
2011-03-27, 09:51
364 posts

Oct 2006
I'm pretty sure it's MTU related indeed. What I recommend is upgrade the server to a recent mvdsv supporting the "mtu" userinfo key and let people who have problems check if they go away after "setinfo mtu 1400".
  18 posts on 1 page  1