User panel stuff on forum
  9 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2010-10-27, 21:48
27 posts

Oct 2010
Hi Guys,

I am using both the windows and linux based ezquake client (version 201). In the windows version I cannot ping any servers, so I don`t see if any player is on the servers. If I select a server and hit enter, I got the list of players (if there is anyone on that server).
On the linux based client I don`t have this issue at all.

I have the same source.txt.

Any hints or tips are greatly welcome, as I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.
2010-10-27, 22:09
1435 posts

Jan 2006
might be firewall issue .. also try toggling sb_nosockraw
2010-10-27, 22:47
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
I've had this issue a lot too (selection of servers not showing up). I thought it may be some kind of issue as suggested above whereby your firewall thinks you are getting attacked because of all the ping requests coming back - but this doesn't really make sense because the traffic isn't getting blocked, you can still connect to the servers manually.

Only solutions seems to be to wait a while and then try again... really annoying though as you sometimes think there are no games going on at important servers like wargamez, but it is just that they aren't showing in SB.
2010-10-27, 23:12
1435 posts

Jan 2006
HangTime wrote:
but this doesn't really make sense because the traffic isn't getting blocked, you can still connect to the servers manually.

If you connect to a server, you are communicating with just one server.

On the other hand, when you refresh the SB, you'll start receiving replies from ~200 different IP addresses, some paranoid firewalls might think you are being DDoSed.

Also there's the issue that when you don't have administrator rights, pinging might not work with sb_nosockraw 0, resulting in the servers appearing dead.
2010-11-03, 21:20
27 posts

Oct 2010
Thanks for the replies. Based on your comments I did some research:

Disabling my firewall doesn`t help.
Set sb_nosockraw to 1 doesn`t help. (Also not working with firewall disabled.)
Running ezquake as administrator helps. (Even with sb_nosockraw 0 and firewall on.)

What can I do now? Don`t really want to runas administrator, but if there are no other options, maybe I can live with this. (Using XP).
2010-11-03, 21:53
1435 posts

Jan 2006
t0ma: I forgot to mention that sb_nosockraw 1 needs to be set in your config.cfg which gets autoloaded on client startup. So put sb_nosockraw 1 in there, load ezquake and check if sb_nosockraw really shows that it's set to 1. then refresh the server browser.
2010-11-04, 00:41
27 posts

Oct 2010
JohnNy_cz, thanks for the fast reply. This was the solution. Now it works properly
2010-11-04, 13:00
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Cool. Also, thanks to your report I discovered a bug in ezQuake. It was supposed to auto-detect this problem and use sb_nosockraw 1 in such case, but this detection was broken in Win XP. It's fixed now.
2010-11-04, 21:33
27 posts

Oct 2010
Glad that I helped.
  9 posts on 1 page  1