User panel stuff on forum
  9 posts on 1 page  1
Advanced Configuration
2010-10-13, 16:38
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
There is an annoying bug these days for 4on4 players and 2on2 players alike.
It happens when you are standing still on an item spawn location and the item spawns in you, the "took" function will not report "took last picked up item".
Apparently it has something to do with sound channels being moved around in ktx code, and ezquake listens to these specific soundchannels for this feature to work.

the work around, until a bugfix is made can be applied by changing cl_onload "console" to cl_onload "console; setinfo rsnd 0"

PS: actually you can leave out console if you want.

What it does is disabling reliable sounds. Doesn't sound like the best of ideas. It will make you lose sounds in case you have an unstable connection with packet loss.
However for the majority it shouldn't be an issue. So hope this will help.

Thanks to JohnNy_cz for this little gold nugget of information!
ready!
2010-10-13, 16:43
637 posts

Jan 2006
Thanks Para, can't believe that such an annoying bug is there. Always wondered why it wouldn't report my TOOK
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2010-10-13, 18:09
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Unfortunately the latest serverpack (MVDSV 0.29/KTX 1.36) has this variable enabled, the bug was discovered a month late so it was too late to re-release at that point because the change was only in configs.

If someone takes the example-configs from KTX repository, the variable is disabled on the configs. People who don't, check your mvdsv.cfg and find sv_reliable_sound and set it to 0.
Servers: Troopers
2010-10-14, 03:36
284 posts

Oct 2006
Heh, I thought there was something wrong with my took teamsay configuration, because many times it wouldn't report anything when I took important items that I was waiting for (I have disabled the took nothing message). "Glad" to know it wasn't my config.

How hard would it be to tie taking into something other than the sound?

I'm not sure if I have the interest in doing this, but there is a configuration way of going around this, which would not require to turn reliable sound off and would probably work just fine in most situations. Take into account that I've just woken up, so there might be some Ice Ice Baby involved here.

If you are at dm3 rl standing on the rlspawn, it spawns, you press took bind:
- Since there shouldn't be a situation where you are in fact taking 'nothing' at dm3 rl, we could easily just reroute the if clause for 'nothing' to say:
Took [took location] at [took location]

Since I'm not sure if the [took location] variable gets a value here, you could change it to simply [location]. This would of course require that you use the bind while still at the same location.

In my mind, this sounds better than losing reliable sounds.
2010-10-14, 08:15
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
niomic wrote:
Heh, I thought there was something wrong with my took teamsay configuration, because many times it wouldn't report anything when I took important items that I was waiting for (I have disabled the took nothing message). "Glad" to know it wasn't my config.

How hard would it be to tie taking into something other than the sound?

I'm not sure if I have the interest in doing this, but there is a configuration way of going around this, which would not require to turn reliable sound off and would probably work just fine in most situations. Take into account that I've just woken up, so there might be some Ice Ice Baby involved here.

If you are at dm3 rl standing on the rlspawn, it spawns, you press took bind:
- Since there shouldn't be a situation where you are in fact taking 'nothing' at dm3 rl, we could easily just reroute the if clause for 'nothing' to say:
Took [took location] at [took location]

Since I'm not sure if the [took location] variable gets a value here, you could change it to simply [location]. This would of course require that you use the bind while still at the same location.

In my mind, this sounds better than losing reliable sounds.

But if you do take a pack 5 secs before, it will report took pack and not "nothing", and therefor it wont work.
2010-10-14, 15:07
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Indeed.

Niomic, you should be able to do what you are asking for at config level, something along the lines of:

if $took = $tp_name_nothing then say_team took %l @ %l else say_team took $took @ %Y

Obviously this is pretty flawed as it relies on people using it in the correct way (only after taking the item they want to report and before they leave the location, never pressing the button when they haven't taken anything etc), there might be some maps where it looks a bit stupid too depending on what your locs are called (e.g. RA/MEGA on dm2, that location is named after more than one item in most locs). It also wouldn't really work for backpacks, you'd need a seperate bind for took pack which would kind of defeat the point.
2010-10-14, 15:31
284 posts

Oct 2006
HangTime wrote:
Indeed.

Niomic, you should be able to do what you are asking for at config level, something along the lines of:

if $took = $tp_name_nothing then say_team took %l @ %l else say_team took $took @ %Y

Obviously this is pretty flawed as it relies on people using it in the correct way (only after taking the item they want to report and before they leave the location, never pressing the button when they haven't taken anything etc), there might be some maps where it looks a bit stupid too depending on what your locs are called (e.g. RA/MEGA on dm2, that location is named after more than one item in most locs). It also wouldn't really work for backpacks, you'd need a seperate bind for took pack which would kind of defeat the point.

Heh, yeah thanks HT, what I meant with interested was pretty much cba level I've poured probably a man month easily into qw configs and teamsays, so it's quite familiar ground for me.

What is this pack issue you are talking about?

I actually could be arsed, but I can't replicate the problem on local server so I can't test it out :/
2010-10-14, 16:28
485 posts

Feb 2006
Pretty sure tookloc isn't updated either when this bug happens. There is no decent script workaround. I have tried.

How long has kt(x) had reliable sounds? I remember having this bug even before there was ezQuake.
2010-10-21, 08:09
1435 posts

Jan 2006
08/03/2009
http://qw-dev.net/projects/mvdsv/activity?from=2009-03-08
http://qw-dev.net/issues/288
  9 posts on 1 page  1