User panel stuff on forum
  28 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2010-09-27, 17:00
132 posts

Mar 2006
Since CHTV is dead there is no place to download fresh demos, even old ones!
And here's the question - does anybody have an CHTV demos archive?
If so, please upload it on quakestatic/dropbox/torrents/fast_ftp/something_else.
Mine do no spaek engrish!
2010-09-27, 17:15
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
We can't just upload the CHTV archive on some ftp dump when DonKing is selling it for money to help chtv...

CHTV will be back
2010-09-27, 17:34
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
I haven't heard anything from DK on the matter. There's no ETA, no mention of progress that I know. At some point if DK doesn't want to host it, we the community will take over it.

DK always says that CHTV is his baby, etc, etc. But actions speak louder than words.
2010-09-27, 19:12
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning...
we need chtv
Join us on discord.quake.world
2010-09-27, 20:38
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
2010-09-29, 01:58
9 posts

Jan 2007
Phil, is there a way to contact him that's not his chtv email (I figure that will just bounce). I will gladly donate for a dvd of qw and/or cpma/zdaemon demos, if he still wants donations.
2010-09-29, 11:35
793 posts

Feb 2006
last time people donated the site went promptly down, just saying..
2010-09-29, 12:34
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Does anyone know what bandwidth and disk requirements there are for CH-TV? I guess that's the tricky part when it comes to a site like that as the coding is pretty basic?

I also guess it would be possible to lessen those requirements, at least on the disk part of things, if the site was a bit monitored on the quality of the uploaded stuff...
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2010-09-29, 13:22
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
The qw demos are about 17gb while the rest is about 60gb - So it's not really that much diskspace needed. Bandwidth usage probably isn't that high, maybe phil has some stats on that.

But I'm sure CHTV will be up shortly
2010-09-29, 17:22
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
<3
I feel bad that I haven't donated yet, and I get reminded every time I visit chtv. I just hate paypal... I'll donate in cash @ qhlan!
Join us on discord.quake.world
2010-09-29, 18:05
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
I actually do not have bandwidth usage. DK quoted me some but I don't remember what it was and I got the distinct impression that he wasn't quoting me monthly usage stats because it was a round figure, kind of like the maximum allowed usage is.

Anyway, I checked hostway.com which is just one hosting provider I know, and they advertise $7/mo for unlimited bandwidth amd 100 gb space. And that's just the first I saw, I'm sure there are better offers out there.

So it really boggles my mind why we have to go through these downtimes with dk's "free" hosting (thanks endpoint.nu, you helped a lot, but these kind of downtimes are sucky.)

From what I heard, endpoint.nu datacenter got flooded (literally..with water) and they had a successful emergency evacuation of all the racks, but now nobody knows when things will be back up, and something tells me chtv is not on the top of the priority list for endpoint.nu...
2010-09-29, 21:59
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Well, if DK got the files, then we can set up CHTV on the qw.nu server tomorrow if needed....

Also phil, those $7/month hosting plans all have some way of assuring that people can't use it for filehosting, just read their "Terms of use" - Because trust me, I've been looking for a cheap filedump in the past.

Like the one you linked to, they have a limit of 5000 files per account. If you reach 5000 files, you will be charged $9.95/month for every block of 5000 files. CHTV got what? Something like 25000 files? So we are already talking $50/month just for the files, then if you start going over their "secret bandwidth limit", you'll get booted. Yeah I know it says "unlimited", but that is only as long as you don't use too much, they got that covered in their "Terms of use" as well.

Oh, and also, most places they won't allow more than a percentage (50-85%) of the files to be media files, video, images or archives (as in .zip) - The one you mentioned got a terms like that. Don't even get me started on database and cpu usage, this is where they really kick in hard.

So really, all those cheap $1-$10/month plans you are talking about, isn't really for anything but people looking to host their Wordpress blog. All of the above goes for any free hosting provider, like this guy is talking about using - Trust me as soon as you start using any kind of real bandwidth, they'll shut you down.

QW needs the support from people like those running endpoint and those hosting qw.nu - We should never go back to having sites hosted all over the place on different webhosts, weren't you the one most furious about using gigihost in the past?
2010-09-30, 08:03
1100 posts

Jan 2006
You can get 250GB space and 100MBit/s until 3TB transferred for ~15€ at OVH. Check your local Kimsufi/Isgenug offer.
2010-09-30, 10:07
6 posts

Sep 2010
well, after reading the Terms of Service on a few free and low-cost plans i realized that Zalon is right, almost all of them have something like this:

"...offers large web space and bandwidth with hosting accounts. By this, we mean space for legitimate web site content and bandwidth for visitors to view it. All files on a domain must be part of the active website and linked to the site. Sites should not contain any backups, downloads, or other non-web based content."

"..We reserve the right to suspend or terminate any hosting services if a website/hosting service consumes excessive server resources or effects other websites / hosting services on a shared or clustered hosting server."

It sounded 2good to be true anyways

So we either look for sponsors that own a web hosting company or scout the web for one that allows for non-web related file hosting, preferably cheap D:
ignorance is bliss.
2010-09-30, 10:28
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
As I also said in my post, the qw.nu server can host any quakeworld project
2010-09-30, 13:41
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
hex wrote:
"...offers large web space and bandwidth with hosting accounts. By this, we mean space for legitimate web site content and bandwidth for visitors to view it. All files on a domain must be part of the active website and linked to the site. Sites should not contain any backups, downloads, or other non-web based content."

"..We reserve the right to suspend or terminate any hosting services if a website/hosting service consumes excessive server resources or effects other websites / hosting services on a shared or clustered hosting server."

Can you give a link for that? I've been trying to find some kind of tos for the hostway offer too, but unsuccessfully. Can't find the fine print anywhere.

On second thought, I agree with Zalon. There's got to be some kind of catch somewhere with these webhotels. But to be sure, hostway is a lot more reputable than gigawebhost.dk.noob
2010-09-30, 17:38
685 posts

Jul 2007
Well, in the mean time, if people have impressive demos, just upload it to filesharing websites, like megaupload etc.
2010-09-30, 19:10
88 posts

Oct 2006
I have a backup of the QW demo sections, although it may be a a few years old now. I should also have the database that goes with them (players names, event etc). But if anyone actually got the DVDs recently (I thought I saw someone who did somewhere?), that would of course be much more actual. But then does it have the database too?
Just ping me on IRC if I happen to be around there.
2010-09-30, 20:24
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
megalodon wrote:
Well, in the mean time, if people have impressive demos, just upload it to filesharing websites, like megaupload etc.

No, use ESReality - Then someone might actually watch them.
2010-09-30, 21:32
6 posts

Sep 2010
!phil: Terms of use for hostway can be found here http://www.hostway.com/dedicated/legal/terms-of-use.html if you read the paragraph right after the "Server Resources" title it clearly says to watch out for system usage, and a few paragraphs after that it also says that excessive storage of multimedia files is not permited. The text i quoted in my previous post comes from http://www.byethost.com/terms-of-service the host i've been using for a while. And if you look at other hosting facilities ToS's it should mention something like it... basically if you want total freedom with disk space, file sharing and bandwidth, etc.. you best buy a dedicated server :\
ignorance is bliss.
2010-10-01, 17:26
685 posts

Jul 2007
Zalon wrote:
megalodon wrote:

I totally forgot about that. That is actually a VERY good idea. Why not just use Esreality permanently??? And indeed, the bonus is that these QL kids might also check out a QW demo now and then.
2010-10-01, 18:44
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
megalodon wrote:
Zalon wrote:
megalodon wrote:

I totally forgot about that. That is actually a VERY good idea. Why not just use Esreality permanently??? And indeed, the bonus is that these QL kids might also check out a QW demo now and then.

Because we don't want to spread the shit demos. The official tournament demos are usually uploaded by tournament admins or other dedicated people and I guess they have grown tired of uploading demos to esr in specific.
2010-10-01, 19:28
685 posts

Jul 2007
Ake Vader wrote:
they have grown tired of uploading demos to esr in specific.

Why?
2010-10-01, 20:05
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
megalodon wrote:
Ake Vader wrote:

Why?

Because it takes time? Time that could be spent on something else.

More people need to volunteer. even the smallest contributions inspire other people to contribute aswell.
2010-10-01, 22:51
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
I usually upload finals and hot matches (in terms of known players) to ESR...

Players like ParadokS, LocKtar, Milton, Reppie are pretty well known names by the ESR users
2010-10-02, 01:56
685 posts

Jul 2007
Ake Vader wrote:
megalodon wrote:
Ake Vader wrote:

Why?

Because it takes time? Time that could be spent on something else.

More people need to volunteer. even the smallest contributions inspire other people to contribute aswell.

But uploading @ Challenge-TV takes time also, right? The way you wrote your sentence makes it seem that they've grown tired of uploading to ESR and not to CTV...
2010-10-02, 01:57
685 posts

Jul 2007
Zalon wrote:
I usually upload finals and hot matches (in terms of known players) to ESR...

Players like ParadokS, LocKtar, Milton, Reppie are pretty well known names by the ESR users

And for doing so, you'll go to Quake Heaven, Zalon
2011-03-10, 22:16
1435 posts

Jan 2006
!phil wrote:
There's got to be some kind of catch somewhere with these webhotels.

What about Amazon S3 and it's hosting of static files? The pricing is ridiculously low for such amounts of data as QW demos would require. Then of course the web interface itself would have to be hosted somewhere else. Just the download links would direct to s3.amazon.com.
  28 posts on 1 page  1