User panel stuff on forum
  13 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2010-09-16, 02:08
28 posts

May 2007
Hi there,

I just got myself a SSD and obviously i wanted to try it out. So i installed a new windows 7 on it - the system and everything runs smooth, however i ran in to troubles with quakeworld. Im running a dual boot with my old install of windows 7 on the other disc.

When i run QW on the 'old' disc i can get a steady 308 FPS without trouble, but when i run qw on the new disc all it can creep up to is 200 FPS and it jumps anywhere between 130 and 200. The QW directory on the new disc is an exact copy of the old directory - literally a copy-paste.

My computer setup is this (tell me if you need any additional info)
GFX: ATI Radeon 1950X
CPU: AMD Athlon X2
Disc 1: Seagate 500 GB
Disc 2: Intel X25-M 80 GB

[EDIT]
I also just noticed that with my new win7 install the ping shoots all over the place when I move around. The old install has a nice stable 12-15 ms while with this install, when i stand still facing a wall the ping is around 17 ms and the moment i start moving the ping shoots up to anywhere between 50 and 70 ms.
[/EDIT]

If anyone could give any advice to solve this I'd be happy.

Kind Regards
2010-09-16, 08:38
28 posts

May 2007
Hi,

This is weird. After reading a lot of related topics around various forums, i was suggested to choose "Run as Administrator" (although my windows account obviously already is an adminsitrator) and this solved the issue.

Now I am just wondering why the heck it would make any difference.
2010-09-16, 10:57
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
I think in Win7 all programs run without administrator rights, thats why you'll see a popup box asking for rights when it's needed by a program
2010-09-16, 12:42
28 posts

May 2007
Zalon wrote:
I think in Win7 all programs run without administrator rights, thats why you'll see a popup box asking for rights when it's needed by a program

Yes I think that true, however that doesn't really explain why running it without administrator righs would cause ping-spikes and fps-loss :-)
2010-09-16, 12:47
459 posts

Mar 2008
I've also lost ~200 stable fps in my switch to Win7. Also on a SSD disk, but I doubt that has much to do with it? Also experienced weird ping spikes and fps loss. Gonna try this administrator thing. Thanks for the tip, anyway.
2010-09-16, 13:12
28 posts

May 2007
Rikoll wrote:
I've also lost ~200 stable fps in my switch to Win7. Also on a SSD disk, but I doubt that has much to do with it? Also experienced weird ping spikes and fps loss. Gonna try this administrator thing. Thanks for the tip, anyway.

That's why i was puzzled too. The win7 install I did was near identical to the one on my other disc, I even tried the same video drivers but nothing helped, untill I tried that 'Run as Administrator' thing. When I run Win7 on my other disc everything is all sweet without the 'Run as Admin'.

So I'm wondering why/if an SSD disc causes this. I found a few pages here about it, which is useful for setting up the run as administrator as 'default' for programs:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11841-run-administrator.html
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/299-user-account-control-uac-change-notification-settings.html

Btw. please report back if this solves your problem as I'm curious about it.
2010-09-16, 13:30
459 posts

Mar 2008
Yeah, I'll follow it up. Might take a while though, since the lags seemed very random and at very different severity. But I'll keep you up to date, for sure! Thanks again.
2010-09-16, 15:15
518 posts

Jan 2006
I also use win7 with Intel 80SSD and did not have this issue, try playing around with sys_highpriority and sys_yieldcpu.

Also its not required to run Ezquake with administrator rights. it doesnt even ask me. Boots up right away without problems.

Rikoll: what ssd did you get?
2010-09-16, 15:36
28 posts

May 2007
murdoc wrote:
I also use win7 with Intel 80SSD and did not have this issue, try playing around with sys_highpriority and sys_yieldcpu.

Also its not required to run Ezquake with administrator rights. it doesnt even ask me. Boots up right away without problems.

Which values do you use for the above?

My ezQuake didn't ask for administrator rights either, it was only by coincidence while I was googling for a solution, that I came across other people who had experienced similar issues with other games. So that's why I gave it a shot.

I just used my config file from the other windows install and as it worked perfectly with the other install i assumed it was probably not config-related. But I'll give it a trye.
2010-09-16, 15:39
518 posts

Jan 2006
It depends per system per config so it doesnt really mather what my settings are you have to find your own best setting

If you used different drivers for chipset/vga etc it can already make a difference on sys_highpriority setting so you just have to try it out.
2010-09-16, 15:47
28 posts

May 2007
murdoc wrote:
It depends per system per config so it doesnt really mather what my settings are you have to find your own best setting

If you used different drivers for chipset/vga etc it can already make a difference on sys_highpriority setting so you just have to try it out.

I dont think the drivers changed, as both systems (same computer, just dual booted) report that the drivers are up to date.

Ok thanks :-) I'll try tweak it a bit.
2010-09-20, 10:14
459 posts

Mar 2008
murdoc wrote:

1,00 STK 601325 Corsair SSD Force Series 2,5" 120GB SATA2, 285MB/275MB/s read/write, incl 2,5" to 3,5" bracket

Haven't actually tried running QW on my old disk, could try when I get home to see if it makes any difference. Still can't understand why it would make a difference if so, and specially not in a negative performance related way.

My QW runs better now than when I wrote here earlier, but the feel is still inconsistent. If this is due to admin rights for ezq or some realtek integrated audio registry fix I also did, is hard to tell. Usually right after I start up QW, things are OK. Stable 462 fps at least (had to lower it from 616 -> 462 when switching from XP), but after some alt+tabs or the such the fps value seem to vary around 0-8 fps lower than my cl_maxfps setting (yes, even if I set it to 308 or even lower, it stays at some value right under that). Then I restart EzQuake, and things are stable again.

Anyone knows if some versions of NVIDIA drivers are better then the most recent atm? Not even saying it is GFX card / drivers related at all, I simply don't know why I get ~200 less stable FPS on W7 than on XP. Also tried the three different performance / balance / quality presets on the NVIDIA control panel, but haven't checked if it is related to any specific of those variables.

First thing I'll try is pasting my EzQ folder into my old drive and see if that helps. If not, I can still live with the performance W7 delivers, but it would be nice to get it back at XP level nontheless. Any tips are welcome :-)

Running with sys_highpriory 1 and sys_yieldcpu 0 (more CPU allocated ...) tried different settings, without much noticeable difference. It slso seems that turning OFF Threaded Opti. in Win7 does the same as auto/on in Win XP; the game gets really laggy.

*** edit ***

I didn't buy the SSD disk for QW performance. For other purposes, this disk is probably the best performance upgrade I've done in recent years when it comes to startup and run time experience in the OS itself.
2010-09-20, 10:34
28 posts

May 2007
I did some more Investigation and I found out atleast what was causing the major point of the issue: ATI Tray Tools.

Somehow it just sucked the performance of QW/My machine. When I killed it everything seems to run fine. Maybe it the new version of ATT that's causing the problem, because the old one didn't. However I didn't buy an SSD for QW performance either, It's just that QW is one of those games I play regularly :-)

Anyway if you have FPS issues, try killing ATT if it's installed.
  13 posts on 1 page  1