User panel stuff on forum
  21 posts on 1 page  1
Maps & Textures
2010-09-15, 10:09
Member
126 posts

Registered:
Oct 2006
Wich is the best map editor for qw now days? Planing to start with some mapping for qw
2010-09-15, 11:36
Administrator
1854 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
GtkRadiant is quite good
2010-09-15, 14:22
Administrator
2051 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Q.U.A.R.K. and Worldcraft are other alternatives available...somewhere ;}
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2010-09-16, 01:29
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
There is no 'best'. Not in map editors, not in anything. All editors have their pro's and cons.
2010-09-16, 09:26
Member
126 posts

Registered:
Oct 2006
megalodon wrote:
There is no 'best'. Not in map editors, not in anything. All editors have their pro's and cons.

So which one are you using?
2010-09-16, 10:58
Member
397 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
Godis! 4on4 paradise.bsp coming up? I vote for it to enter this EQL!
2010-09-16, 16:30
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
GODIS! wrote:
megalodon wrote:
There is no 'best'. Not in map editors, not in anything. All editors have their pro's and cons.

So which one are you using?

BSP:
http://bspquakeeditor.com/

The downside of the new version is that you can't make prefabs, but you can make groups. You can use the old version to create the prefab and save it/import it. Or another editor.

I'm still experimenting myself. Yesterday I created this arch in BSP:
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7221/archj.jpg


GTKRadiant works in a similar fashion, so if you know BSP, you can also work in Radiant (or visa versa).

BSP has great & easy texture manipulation, which you can see here:
http://bspquakeeditor.com/bsptutor/bsplesson09.html


I've also been experimenting with Quark, which has very nice features...theoretically at least. It has a Duplicator function that I used to create spiral stairs-experiment, but it created leaks as you can see in my topic:
http://quark.sourceforge.net/forums/index.php?topic=540.0

Quark has nice leak/problem tests built-in the editor itself and it will run on modern OS (don't know if BSP runs on Vista or 7).


I still haven't found the 'perfect/best' editor. Perhaps I should also give Worldcraft 3.3 a chance. However, GTKradiant and Quark support the most games, which might be something to keep in mind if you wanna make maps for other games then just Quake, Half-Life, Hexen, etc.

Hope that helps a bit in making your decision. If you also plan to move onto Quake 3 someday, I'd probably advice to learn Radiant (The standard for Q3) or Quark.
2010-09-16, 18:31
Administrator
1854 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
That looks very nice megalodon
2010-09-16, 20:50
Member
253 posts

Registered:
Nov 2007
Qoole (Quake Object Oriented Level Editor) was the best for me just because it was far easier to use than worldcraft.
Heh,you can still read the old tutorial: http://files.volved.com/qsr/qoole250_cd/q1tutorials/html/
cheat 2 win!
2010-09-16, 20:59
Member
126 posts

Registered:
Oct 2006
megalodon wrote:
GODIS! wrote:
megalodon wrote:
There is no 'best'. Not in map editors, not in anything. All editors have their pro's and cons.

So which one are you using?

BSP:
http://bspquakeeditor.com/

The downside of the new version is that you can't make prefabs, but you can make groups. You can use the old version to create the prefab and save it/import it. Or another editor.

I'm still experimenting myself. Yesterday I created this arch in BSP:
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7221/archj.jpg

GTKRadiant works in a similar fashion, so if you know BSP, you can also work in Radiant (or visa versa).

BSP has great & easy texture manipulation, which you can see here:
http://bspquakeeditor.com/bsptutor/bsplesson09.html


I've also been experimenting with Quark, which has very nice features...theoretically at least. It has a Duplicator function that I used to create spiral stairs-experiment, but it created leaks as you can see in my topic:
http://quark.sourceforge.net/forums/index.php?topic=540.0

Quark has nice leak/problem tests built-in the editor itself and it will run on modern OS (don't know if BSP runs on Vista or 7).


I still haven't found the 'perfect/best' editor. Perhaps I should also give Worldcraft 3.3 a chance. However, GTKradiant and Quark support the most games, which might be something to keep in mind if you wanna make maps for other games then just Quake, Half-Life, Hexen, etc.

Hope that helps a bit in making your decision. If you also plan to move onto Quake 3 someday, I'd probably advice to learn Radiant (The standard for Q3) or Quark.

Thanks for your reply! I used to use Worldcraft many years ago, and i did use valve hammer editor when i did Half-life maps... Wich is kinda the same as worldcraft rigt? Anyways, i will try out wich one suits me the best! Thanks again.
2010-09-16, 23:39
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
GODIS! wrote:
megalodon wrote:
GODIS! wrote:
So which one are you using?

BSP:
http://bspquakeeditor.com/

The downside of the new version is that you can't make prefabs, but you can make groups. You can use the old version to create the prefab and save it/import it. Or another editor.

I'm still experimenting myself. Yesterday I created this arch in BSP:
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7221/archj.jpg

GTKRadiant works in a similar fashion, so if you know BSP, you can also work in Radiant (or visa versa).

BSP has great & easy texture manipulation, which you can see here:
http://bspquakeeditor.com/bsptutor/bsplesson09.html


I've also been experimenting with Quark, which has very nice features...theoretically at least. It has a Duplicator function that I used to create spiral stairs-experiment, but it created leaks as you can see in my topic:
http://quark.sourceforge.net/forums/index.php?topic=540.0

Quark has nice leak/problem tests built-in the editor itself and it will run on modern OS (don't know if BSP runs on Vista or 7).


I still haven't found the 'perfect/best' editor. Perhaps I should also give Worldcraft 3.3 a chance. However, GTKradiant and Quark support the most games, which might be something to keep in mind if you wanna make maps for other games then just Quake, Half-Life, Hexen, etc.

Hope that helps a bit in making your decision. If you also plan to move onto Quake 3 someday, I'd probably advice to learn Radiant (The standard for Q3) or Quark.

Thanks for your reply! I used to use Worldcraft many years ago, and i did use valve hammer editor when i did Half-life maps... Wich is kinda the same as worldcraft rigt? Anyways, i will try out wich one suits me the best! Thanks again.

Well in that case, this might be of interest for you:
http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-help/servers-coding/1242-quakeadapter-worldcraft-3-3-a.html

Haven't tried it myself, but it seems people like it. And yes, Hammer seems to be an evolved version of Worldcraft, but I don't think Hammer can be setup for Quake1 mapping.
2010-09-17, 03:01
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
Zalon wrote:
That looks very nice megalodon

Thanks Zalon. My 'test tomb' seems to look pretty nice too with this architecture style...

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9829/qrack000.jpg



Too bad it all takes so long to make it just look right... I gues it will go faster once I have more experience.
2010-09-17, 07:54
Member
397 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
Trying to create some new maps for xs4all megalodon? Maybe hide a secret penta somewhere so you can dominate them
2010-09-17, 09:42
Member
126 posts

Registered:
Oct 2006
megalodon wrote:
Zalon wrote:
That looks very nice megalodon

Thanks Zalon. My 'test tomb' seems to look pretty nice too with this architecture style...

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9829/qrack000.jpg


Too bad it all takes so long to make it just look right... I gues it will go faster once I have more experience.

That looks awesome Gj!
2010-09-17, 20:16
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
Hagge wrote:
Trying to create some new maps for xs4all megalodon? Maybe hide a secret penta somewhere so you can dominate them

Heh, yeah that would be tempting

Anyway, I'm just in the stage of figuring out how to create some decent architecture and making prefabs. Dunno if I'll stick to it and really turn it into a full map.
2010-09-17, 20:16
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
GODIS! wrote:
megalodon wrote:
Zalon wrote:
That looks very nice megalodon

Thanks Zalon. My 'test tomb' seems to look pretty nice too with this architecture style...

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9829/qrack000.jpg


Too bad it all takes so long to make it just look right... I gues it will go faster once I have more experience.

That looks awesome Gj!

Thanks Have you made your pick yet?
2010-09-18, 17:32
Member
126 posts

Registered:
Oct 2006
No i haven't been busy looking for a job :/, but i will when i get some more time
2011-05-24, 18:05
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
BTW: I was wrong, you CAN make prefabs with the new BSP: File - Brushes - Save/Load Brushes.

No need for the old version anymore.
2011-05-24, 18:57
Member
29 posts

Registered:
Apr 2007
this is old one: worldcraft (best for me x)
[ http://dc.quakeworld.pl Demolition Crew: Member ][ http://quakeworld.pl Dev & Admin ][ http://forum.quakeworld.pl Moderator ]
2011-05-24, 20:12
Member
139 posts

Registered:
Feb 2011
worldcraft 3.3 or gtkradiant, very similar
2011-05-25, 19:50
Member
398 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Zalon wrote:
GtkRadiant is quite good

I use this too!
  21 posts on 1 page  1