User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Help  ‹  Ping Issues
  9 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2010-08-26, 09:49
10 posts

Aug 2010
Hi All,

I am having a few issues with my ping, when I dos ping a server, it generally comes 20-30ms lower than it is in Quakeworld. Having decided to come back to the game after 10 years of not playing, I can't remember any console commands, or ways that could possibly help.

If somebody could give me a bunch on console commands that I could play around with which maybe affecting this, then that would be great.

I am using the latest version of ezquake.

Thanks
2010-08-26, 09:58
459 posts

Mar 2008
First off, welcome back!

I think ms to qw servers often will be abit higher than what you get to them through DOS. You should also state which OS you're using, and possibly also where you live. It is often possible to use proxies to get lower ping to certain servers.
2010-08-26, 10:09
10 posts

Aug 2010
Thanks for the reply, I am from the UK.

I am currently running win7, but I have a dual boot set up, and it was the same with XP.

And the ping issues seemed to be when I went anywhere further than Holland, I tried a few servers from Norway and Sweden and the ping was terrible. I also don't have this issue in Quake 3.
2010-08-26, 10:26
13 posts

Apr 2006
Given the same routing path for the pings, QuakeWorld and Quake 3, what you say doesn't make a great deal of sense. Are you sure that the command prompt pings to the QuakeWorld and Quake 3 servers are identical and stable? Are the QuakeWorld and Quake 3 pings both stable? What sort of difference are you seeing between the two?

You could mess with the client to server packets per second commands, but they will mess with your client-side experience in the form of choppy gameplay. A quick Google for "ezquake commands" yields this: http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/docs/ .

What ISP are you on, by the way? I had dreadful pings to most locations in nearly all my games due to Virgin Media being atrocious. I switched to Be There ADSL and it's probably the best gaming connection I've had yet.
2010-08-26, 10:45
10 posts

Aug 2010
I only really went on quake 3 to see if it was an issue with my ISP.

I am using Virgin Media, but I have never had this issue when playing quake3 to servers outside of the UK.

I only used command prompt to ping quakeworld servers, and the results from cmd and quakeworld were 20-30ms difference when testing it on wargamez.dk and some .se servers. When I tested the xs4all servers, there was about 10ms difference.

And my connection seems very stable, with 0% PL

I shall give the manual a read and see if I can find anything of use.

Thanks
2010-08-26, 10:54
1435 posts

Jan 2006
rate
cl_physfps
cl_c2spps
2010-08-26, 12:07
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
rate
cl_physfps
cl_c2spps

Put
rate 99999
cl_physfps 77
cl_maxfps 0 (or a fixed high value) in combination with:
cl_earlypackets 1

then type "show net" to see your actual ingame ping, or r_netstats 1 (if I remember correctly)
2010-08-26, 12:17
10 posts

Aug 2010
Cheers people.

I shall give these a try when I get home.
2010-08-27, 08:57
10 posts

Aug 2010
Managed to sort it.

With help from a few settings it reduced it a little.
But it still wasn't great.

So I had a new d-link router lying about, so I thought I would just give that a go.

I am now pinging close to what dos reports. It seems qw didn't like my old netgear router.
  9 posts on 1 page  1