User panel stuff on forum
  18 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2010-07-25, 18:03
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
I've been wondering... as an old cpm defragger in q3, I also enjoy hopping around on the quakeworld maps.

I've been practicing alot and now I can easily do hoppa2 and those maps without any difficulties, and I try to port my movement over to all maps for highest velocity possible on every map.

Either way, so far I've only been using "feeling" when hopping. Everyone knows the basics of speedjumping, but it's hard to get good at. I've gotten pretty good obviously, but still all I use is the feeling of when you're jumping. The "quake"-feeling.

What I was wondering, has it ever been evaluated what the exact degrees to get maximum speedboost is to aim for, and so on? The ultimate way to max your speed. In Quake 3, e.g strafejumping in vq3, I believe it was -30 degrees and +30 degrees to aim for when going straight forward for the maximum boost, and when halfbeating switch between -30 and -15 degrees. Things like that are interesting for me to be able to max my speed, so does anyone have any information about it?

Yours,
Andeh
2010-07-25, 18:18
705 posts

Feb 2006
There's a formula for it on the wiki
2010-07-25, 19:05
95 posts

Jun 2006
i cant do hoppa2, can you post a demo? impressive, ive been close to finishing it but then said fuck it, and didnt bother to try again for a long time.
2010-07-26, 00:32
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
ruskie wrote:
There's a formula for it on the wiki

Where? please link me ruskieTOOOOY

@bent: will do
2010-07-26, 00:43
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
@Bent:

Didn't know how to upload to CHTV and don't know how to record to .mvds so I just uploaded the .qwd to speedyshare, haha;

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/23524255/try1.qwd
2010-07-26, 08:04
95 posts

Jun 2006
nice, well done!
2010-07-27, 07:15
252 posts

Dec 2006
the wiki is accessible at the link bar at the top of 'all' quakeworld community pages, and the page is called bunny hop
TNote that the critical speed of rotation that yields the most acceleration is, subtly, inversely proportional to your speed, in other words, the faster you move the slower the critical rate of rotation. So the degree you will rotate in a given arc of motion is a (inversely related) function of your speed. The shorter the duration that you make your arcs while maintaining optimum synchronisation of keystrokes with mouse motions and optimum speed of your mouse motions (rotation in view terms), the less wasted motion because your arcs while approximate a straight line.
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2010-07-27, 20:20
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Yeah I've read through it but couldn't really use much of it for improving... truth is bunnyhopping and strafejumping etc are very different things

Thanks Runamok.foe!
2010-07-27, 21:55
125 posts

Jan 2008
Interesting indeed.
On the subject of having a formula for maximizing speed, has anyone ever created a bot that utilizes this to get insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnne speeds or is this too hard?

EDIT: Or is there a limit on how fast one can go that is just too low for that to be interesting?
2010-07-28, 22:07
133 posts

Dec 2008
[SD]Angel has created bots for TF which just do bunnies from one side to another side of the map and you are shooting them with sniper rifle or with any other weapon.

I can share them if you have interest to try them.

Some time ago I started writing an article that explains math behind quake movement.
It is partially done but it is not translated to english and I am not good with creating nice looking texts.
(Here it is: http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/QW_physics_air_ru,
reference to next page is at the end of the page. Sorry,it looks ugly.)

Idea of bunnies is simple: by pressing keys you select your wish direction. To maximize accleration you must keep wishdir perpendicular to your horizontal velocity.
2010-07-30, 01:01
202 posts

Dec 2006
dont forget that the optimum angle when holding both forward AND strafe is dictated by the ratio of cl_forwardspeed and cl_sidespeed
2010-07-30, 05:11
252 posts

Dec 2006
I don't advocate a non 1:1 ratio for cl_forwardspeed(& cl_backspeed) : cl_sidespeed ratio, it will mess up not only your accel jumping, but your fight dancing (you will spoil years worth of massed practice optimising velocity and arcs most conducive to frustrating your attacker's prediction, for e.g. watch reload demos on povdmm4, (ill post some later) with show_velocity _2_ (removes vertical indicator) and show_velocity_down -2.5 (this is from memory, i will check later), and cl_rollangle 4, cl_rollspeed 200, cl_rollalpha 9999999999, fov 110, v_viewheight 0, are reload's settings), and accel running, because it changes the viewing angle relative to movement direction you will have to rediscover the optimum timing for keystrokes and mouse motions and initial jumps.

With 1:1 ratio you have access to 8 movement directions evenly distributed in a revolution. P.S I dare guess reload has a dedicated finger for +back and +forward which most people don't.
[i]'i shoulda won all
2010-07-31, 10:15
705 posts

Feb 2006
sss remember that the content on the qw-wikipedia is english only and i will delete when i feel the need for it(in a few months probably if it's not translated).
2010-07-31, 14:43
202 posts

Dec 2006
if reload uses certain settings then clearly they must be objectively superior in every way
also your guess is clearly an uneducated one, since you have never seen him play on lan with the same old WASD as the rest of us
2010-07-31, 19:48
364 posts

Oct 2006
riosatiy wrote:
On the subject of having a formula for maximizing speed, has anyone ever created a bot that utilizes this to get insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnne speeds or is this too hard?

Of course I did, and I played online with it for a while. And I made two interesting observations:

1. Although it generally made going through trickjump maps like ztricks easier, there were some routes I couldn't finish anyway.
2. I could jump over the hole above dm6's central room in one jump with relative ease. When I showed that to the tricker JSS, he was amazed... then made a couple of tried himself and made it to the other side with a standard client!

What I make of this is that while a bot can indeed make your movement more efficient, talented players can get pretty damn close to what's theoretically possible just by utilizing their senses and lots of practice.
2010-08-03, 01:47
252 posts

Dec 2006
povohat wrote:
if reload uses certain settings then clearly they must be objectively superior in every way

I didn't say anything about superiority; certain, objective, uncompromising or otherwise. But you've coerced me to opine that my settings are the best: cl_rollangle -6.4 ((feet first) and a skin that has a target at the axis of rotation (but only aligns perfectly with lightning gun etc. animations), cl_rollspeed 320, v_viewheight 0, fov 110, chessboard textures with high anisotropic filtering, semi transparent gun, two lines quarter the screen for crosshair, and the aforementioned show_velocity settings, etc.

Quote:
also your guess is clearly an uneducated one, since you have never seen him play on lan with the same old WASD as the rest of us

Which century, more or less than a decade ago?
[i]'i shoulda won all
2010-08-19, 16:14
133 posts

Dec 2008
ruskie, all
I translated those wiki pages to english;

Again I`m sorry I am not good with creating nice looking texts and sorry for poor english.
Everybody are welcomed to make it more readable and better looking.
part1: http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/QW_physics_user_commands
part2: http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/QW_physics_air
part3: http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/QW_physics_ground
2010-08-19, 16:19
705 posts

Feb 2006
thank you! big <3
  18 posts on 1 page  1