User panel stuff on forum
  8 posts on 1 page  1
Maps & Textures
2010-06-16, 01:18
3 posts

Jun 2010
Hi, I'm using BSP 0.96b and I have a func_door which rises when a button is pushed. I put a ring of invisibility on top of the lift and I'm wondering how you can get it to rise with the lift? When I push the button the ring just stays at the bottom and only the lift rises.

BTW: I've looked at e3m2 (the silver key moves down with the func_door) and I haven't been able to work it out; the key isn't linked to anything, yet it moves with the door.

Thanks.
2010-06-16, 06:59
485 posts

Feb 2006
Maybe the key just falls down.
2010-06-16, 07:42
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
Yeah, that key is never lifted up again during the course of the map, it just stays down
Chosen
2010-06-16, 07:48
3 posts

Jun 2010
The trigger targets only the door and nothing else, so why would it just fall down when the player runs through the trigger - it'd have to be connected with the door somehow. =\

edit: I did some testing and the key doesn't float so it moves with whatever it's placed on; so yeah, it just drops. Guess I'll have to think of some other idea for the ring. Thanks for the replies.
2010-06-16, 12:11
284 posts

Oct 2006
I have no experience of bsp triggers, but could you have the same trigger move the ring as well or is that kind of movement even possible? Something tells me it isn't because I would imagine we'd have seem some really trippy powerup concoctions during the years
2010-06-17, 11:22
14 posts

May 2006
There's no trick to it. If properly placed on top of the door/lift, the key would normally rise with it just like any other entity. Check whether the item (its bounding box) is actually above the lift and not a few units 'within' (under the surface of the lift platform).
2010-06-17, 11:41
3 posts

Jun 2010
@niomic: I don't think it is possible with powerups. It seems like keys are the same as players, they move with objects rather than float around in the air. If you place them in the air, they fall to the ground.

@neg!ke: You can't move the ring freely (in BSP 0.96b) as you can with respawns and keys, they snap to the grid like brushes. The lift passes right through the ring when going going up and returning.
2010-06-17, 17:18
14 posts

May 2006
Hard to tell without actually looking at the area in question. Does the map by any chance exceed the clipnodes limit of 32k (stats at the end of the qbsp process)? Are you running a custom mod when testing the map?

Why wouldn't BSP allow moving the ring freely - it's a regular item just like the weapons and ammo.
  8 posts on 1 page  1