User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2010-04-29, 21:34
36 posts

Mar 2006
I recently picked up a copy of win7 for a decent price so I thought I'd try it out but it doesn't really get on with QW so well, so I wondered if anyone else had had the following issues and found a way around them:

1) The major one: When connected to a server, if I stop moving, after a while I'll start timing out. This rarely happens in game as youre constantly on the move, so it mostly happens in prewar. I'll stop to type something and its like someone pulled out the network cable, 100%PL on netgraph. Most of the time it'll come back after about 10-15 seconds, sometimes it never does and I'll have to reconnect. I'm thinking it must be some kind of idle cut out. It doesn't seem to happen immediately after I join a server, but after I've played a while.

Edit: It does it if I'm spectating and the player I'm watching is idling too.

It happens in Ezquake 2.0 and 2.0.1. It happens using both my internal NIC (Marvell Yukon) and a separate PCI one (Realtek). I think I've got all the power saving options turned off but maybe there's something I missed?

2) The minor one: Sometimes Ezquake won't load up if Firefox is running. And what I mean is, it'll start up, then instantly switch back to windows, leaving it running in the background. And then sometimes when it does load up, I alt tab, and it wont let me alt tab back unless I shut down Firefox. It's not really a major problem, just kinda annoying.

I'm starting to dislike W7 more and more so if I can't fix these, I'll probably drop back to XP or dual boot.

System: E6600, Asus P5W DH, 8800GT
2010-04-29, 21:46
370 posts

Mar 2008
manny wrote:
I recently picked up a copy of win7 for a decent price so I thought I'd try it out but it doesn't really get on with QW so well, so I wondered if anyone else had had the following issues and found a way around them:

1) The major one: When connected to a server, if I stop moving, after a while I'll start timing out. This rarely happens in game as youre constantly on the move, so it mostly happens in prewar. I'll stop to type something and its like someone pulled out the network cable, 100%PL on netgraph. Most of the time it'll come back after about 10-15 seconds, sometimes it never does and I'll have to reconnect. I'm thinking it must be some kind of idle cut out. It doesn't seem to happen immediately after I join a server, but after I've played a while.

It happens in Ezquake 2.0 and 2.0.1. It happens using both my internal NIC (Marvell Yukon) and a separate PCI one (Realtek). I think I've got all the power saving options turned off but maybe there's something I missed?

2) The minor one: Sometimes Ezquake won't load up if Firefox is running. And what I mean is, it'll start up, then instantly switch back to windows, leaving it running in the background. And then sometimes when it does load up, I alt tab, and it wont let me alt tab back unless I shut down Firefox. It's not really a major problem, just kinda annoying.

I'm starting to dislike W7 more and more so if I can't fix these, I'll probably drop back to XP or dual boot.

System: E6600, Asus P5W DH, 8800GT

I've used Win7 64bit since the RC came out last year, and I got it free at work where I do PC repairs.

I haven't noticed many problems with QW and Win 7. The problems you listed I currently do not have.

There is an input bug with Win 7 64bit though, I posted it on the ezQuake bugs list. Basically switching inputs makes QW crash to desktop.

That's about the only problem I have, but it doesn't really matter because once you set your input there is no need to change it to something else.

Also, with an ATi card you will get a lot more FPS drop. I currently own a 5770 and it's not that great with Opengl.
2010-04-29, 21:56
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
manny wrote:

I run win7 32 and have a similar issue. Alt-tabbing is randomly fucked up, like every other time I'm in Ezq (2.0 build 2768) and want to tab to windows, it tabs out for a second, but then back into qw. Then a quit is needed. It also happens the other way around, from win to qw. Then quitting FF3.6.3 and it works. This tab issue also applies when playing Starcraft II beta. Annoying, but I can live with it...
Join us on discord.quake.world
2010-04-29, 22:05
36 posts

Mar 2006
Do you have an nvidia card? I think it may be a driver thing, as I notice every time I load up qw, it turns off my custom gamma settings in nvidia control panel. I'm using FF 3.6.3 too, but win7 x64. Drivers v. 196.21.
2010-04-30, 01:09
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
nVidia GeForce 9600 GT (1680x1050x32bit 120Hz) Driver version 197.13. I had some older drivers before but the problem was the same.
Join us on discord.quake.world
2010-04-30, 20:13
23 posts

Aug 2009
I have Windows 7 x64 and the same problem when alt-tab from qw... but i found something: i can just press ctrl-alt-del and then select "start task manager" and then there's no need to quit qw. it's more complicated than a simple alt-tab, but... better than restarting qw i guess :|
  6 posts on 1 page  1