User panel stuff on forum
  191 posts on 7 pages  First page1234567Last page
General Discussion
2010-04-28, 06:38
130 posts

Jan 2006
I hope this thread can be used to discuss the secret enabling of antilag on many servers.

To discuss the actual antilag feature there is an another thread.

Some quotes from an old thread:

ParadokS wrote:
I DID NOT AUTHORIZE THIS DEBATE!!!!

I just learned about this feature tonight, mainly cause i was not active for 1-2 years, during which this "antilag" feature was introduced.

I had heard of this feature before so I wanted to try it some times i remember. But each time i wrote /antilag i got the reply "command: locked". So naturally I assumed this feature was not enabled.

Ooooohhh was I wrong.

Infact this feature is ENABLED by default... and cannot even be disabled. We are talking wargamez, pangela etc. all the servers used for leagues and tournaments.. what the FUCK?

Just tested on a US server + delaypacket... ping 250 vs 25ms... I won ofc and got 40.4% LG

But after reading this thread it seems that all issues are not quite worked out, and there are several sollutions/fixes to this feature. Then it is UTTERLY INCOMPREHENSIBLE how this feature could be implemented everywhere as default, without even option to disable?

Did admins just sneak this in and hoped noone will notice, so they could come 6 months later "HAH! noone noticed, so you see, everything was ok?"

I guess now I know the secret behind squeeze's improved game and how he can hold his own in div1 against 12-39ms players...

blAze wrote:
If this is true and has been done intentionally, then whoever is responsible for it needs to be removed from the position that allowed him to make this happen. I have been wondering about some pov games I played, but didn't come to think of this.

Willgurht wrote:
had to test some quick povs vs unnamed. The "feature" is enabled and works as designed.

Dont u think this is something different than the rocketdammage 100-120 vs 110? (I mean something to silently test on the big servers, without informing the users. Not saying it was the same person(s) enabling it)
2010-04-28, 06:52
130 posts

Jan 2006
Some facts:

qsshka coded a server side antilag feature to MVDSV and Renzo enabled it on some of his servers sometime in December.

You can see whether the server has the antilag feature enabled with the command: /serverinfo. Look for sv_antilag 2 (sv_antilag_frac 1 is shown on all servers, antilagged or not).

Little by little more people became aware of the feature being enabled. Renzo said that he would break the news soon, so no-one said anything.

Recently the Pangela servers also enabled the antilag feature.

Servers that currently have it enabled AFAIK: wargamez.dk, qw.intarweb.dk, pangela.se, quakeworld.fi, troopers.fi, qw.playground.ru
2010-04-28, 06:58
462 posts

Jan 2006
So basically all ownage and eql results are now invalid and have to be replayed?
2010-04-28, 07:12
569 posts

Feb 2006
you realize that secretly enabling it isn't a very good test for anything. Many players base their strategy and tactics around the known game mechanics. For example I play the game differently with 52ms compared to 13ms.

In a duel game, rushing dm6-RA from gl vs an opponent with LG might be a working tactic in a >50ms game. But hardly ever works in 13vs13ms games. The players knowing this, gets an unfair advantage.

It can be argued if this feature is good or not (I think it by design is bad, but that is what some nq/rq-players thought (still think) about qw).
2010-04-28, 07:19
80 posts

Jan 2006
Willgurht wrote:
you realize that secretly enabling it isn't a very good test for anything. Many players base their strategy and tactics around the known game mechanics. For example I play the game differently with 52ms compared to 13ms.

In a duel game, rushing dm6-RA from gl vs an opponent with LG might be a working tactic in a >50ms game. But hardly ever works in 13vs13ms games. The players knowing this, gets an unfair advantage.

It can be argued if this feature is good or not (I think it by design is bad, but that is what some nq/rq-players thought (still think) about qw).

Yeah especially as some players might have been aware of this and others haven't. Don't wanna pick out single players but Bulat playing completely offensive on 66 ms with 50% lg on pangela? I don't think he's been fully aware of this feature being enabled but he's most likely noticed how good his lg was even on this high ping that he's based his game around it totally. Not saying he doesnt have good lg anyway, his game vs Rikoll was played on a server where I don't think antilag was enabled so... but still, pretty silly from the admins to just enable it without any notice.
2010-04-28, 07:24
462 posts

Jan 2006
valla wrote:
Yeah especially as some players might have been aware of this and others haven't. Don't wanna pick out single players but Bulat playing completely offensive on 66 ms with 50% lg on pangela? I don't think he's been fully aware of this feature being enabled but he's most likely noticed how good his lg was even on this high ping that he's based his game around it totally. Not saying he doesnt have good lg anyway, his game vs Rikoll was played on a server where I don't think antilag was enabled so... but still, pretty silly from the admins to just enable it without any notice.

Well I'm hoping this is mainly a responsility of one individual whoever it is and most of the server admins have been unaware of what some person they have trusted has been up to. This can hopefully be fixed by banning the person responsible from ever having to do anything with these servers again.
2010-04-28, 07:25
462 posts

Jan 2006
So right now foppa and eq are the only usable nordic servers?
2010-04-28, 07:36
39 posts

Jan 2006
First of all it MUST be able to be disabled without rcon!

And admins of the leagues should decide to allow or not this feature and not qqshka or renzo.

I have said this to qqshka as the first thing after upgrade of qw.playground.ru.

And another thing: nobody knows how it works! only qqshka.
There is no official description for this feature.

Good game!
2010-04-28, 07:47
130 posts

Jan 2006
witka wrote:
And another thing: nobody knows how it works! only qqshka.
There is no official description for this feature.

I'm glad to answer any question you might have on the other thread.
2010-04-28, 07:49
130 posts

Jan 2006
Just a personal note: I agree completely that this was a horrible way to introduce this feature, because of all the points that have already been raised in this thread.

I just hope that people will still be able to objectively judge the feature itself and not let this madness get into way.
2010-04-28, 07:50
462 posts

Jan 2006
Clearly there is something wrong with the feature if it has to be slipped in secretly like this. I was almost certain some players were using aimbot in povdmm4s, but this would explain it.
2010-04-28, 07:51
16 posts

Mar 2007
Im sorry but this was really secret??? Cmon everybody who plays regulary knows about this.

I like this feature, antilag rulez!
2010-04-28, 08:03
459 posts

Mar 2008
This has been annoying me alot as well, specially when playing on russian servers. Man, I can get insane LG with this feature, probably even better than on 12ms. When I try to turn it off (/antilag in console), it just says the feature is locked. But, when playing on pangela, it says during the count down that antilag is off? Unless you enable it of course. But is it still so, that its on even if it says its off during the count down due to server side change? And that the indicator on whetever it is on or not is just for the old feature, cl_antilag 1 (client side)? This is confusing... And why, even though the developers got all the rights to implement whatever feature they want in their own work, would they want to secretly do this? It's just rude and arrogant like fuck.

I am however really positive about this feature all in all. It should, in the end, if all the issues with this feature get fixed, be a really nice feature to bind the community together throughout the world (no I'm not a hippie). Guess this discussion is what the other thread is for though.

Well to whoever that is responsible for this: you're an arrogant dick.

What I'd like to see: server side default OFF, and posibility to turn it ON if you want. Should be a required amount of votes to turn it on as well. (2/2 in duels, 3/4 in 2on2, and 5/8 in 4on4. much like how rpickup / elect works).
2010-04-28, 08:24
130 posts

Jan 2006
Rikoll wrote:
This has been annoying me alot as well, specially when playing on russian servers. Man, I can get insane LG with this feature, probably even better than on 12ms. When I try to turn it off (/antilag in console), it just says the feature is locked. But, when playing on pangela, it says during the count down that antilag is off? Unless you enable it of course. But is it still so, that its on even if it says its off during the count down due to server side change? And that the indicator on whetever it is on or not is just for the old feature, cl_antilag 1 (client side)? This is confusing...

Yes, the /antilag command and antilag off in the countdown are for the old client side antilag feature. To check for the serverside feature use /serverinfo like explained above.
2010-04-28, 09:13
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Haha, gotta love that antilag, always good for some drama! I actually thought it was common knowledge by now, that it was enabled. Afaik it's even default in the ktx configs.

I also remember mentioning it in a thread here on the forum, where some Americans were discussing lag.
Zalon wrote:
fenris wrote:
Your rockets / LG won't go where you want it to go in that ping. At least thats my opinion.

That depends on what server they use, most have the fte antilag on atm.

But all in all, I don't like that it was enabled without being announced, that is also why we didn't enable it on foppa, but I also think that the server admin has any right to run his server with the default settings he sees fit. However, the ktx developers should make everything voteable.
2010-04-28, 09:17
462 posts

Jan 2006
Just think how unfair it is that in ownage games one person has known that he will hit like 0ms and the other didn't even bother to get lg because he thought it's a fair 52ms game. ggs. :E I think the whole league should be replayed.
2010-04-28, 09:20
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Most 52vs52 matches were not played on a server with antilag enabled, but I guess we (the tourney admins) should have made a decision on if you were allowed to play on servers with antilag enabled.
2010-04-28, 09:23
462 posts

Jan 2006
Well it's the same with any ms, just to a lesser degree.
2010-04-28, 09:30
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
blAze wrote:
Well it's the same with any ms, just to a lesser degree.

But this wouldn't happen on a 13ms vs 36ms game.
blAze wrote:
the other didn't even bother to get lg because he thought it's a fair 52ms game
2010-04-28, 09:37
10 posts

Feb 2006
He-he-he... Foreigners noticed antilag feature at last! +)
Russian community started this discussion couple weeks ago... maybe two months ago... and havnt arrived to a common opinion =)
So start THE WHOLE EUROPE POLL and find out! =)
I can paste results of qw.ru poll -)
-=QuakeWorld.ru=-
2010-04-28, 09:39
462 posts

Jan 2006
Well in such an unfairly pinged game the hpw would already know he doesn't stand a chance in lg fight. Even though as things turn out actually he would have had the advantage if he knew about it.
2010-04-28, 09:41
462 posts

Jan 2006
This is probably the lamest move ever pulled in the history of Quake. Congratulations. :E I certainly can't give any credit to anyone from recent trounaments and games knowing that this cheat has been enabled all along.
2010-04-28, 09:41
485 posts

Feb 2006
Zalon wrote:
I actually thought it was common knowledge by now, that it was enabled.

So you thought that this was somehow quietly accepted this after all the ruckus earlier? Come on...
2010-04-28, 09:42
10 posts

Feb 2006
Kewl feature - turn it on everywhere! - 10

Too early - need more testing - 10

Get ur bloody hands off gameplay! - 4

WTF is this 0_o - 13 (my vote s here)

I dont care im passive... - 2
-=QuakeWorld.ru=-
2010-04-28, 09:42
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Did avenger know antilag was on? Did Bulat know antilag was on? (It was 64ms vs 64ms game with antilag on)
2010-04-28, 09:43
10 posts

Feb 2006
not much voices in our poll... but too many comments then =)
-=QuakeWorld.ru=-
2010-04-28, 09:45
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Kalma wrote:
Zalon wrote:
I actually thought it was common knowledge by now, that it was enabled.

So you thought that this was somehow quietly accepted this after all the ruckus earlier? Come on...

Accepted? Haha no, but that it was enabled on Renzo's servers, yes.
2010-04-28, 09:49
462 posts

Jan 2006
Zalon wrote:

If you knew, why did you decide to keep it to yourself? That's almost as lame as doing it.
2010-04-28, 09:51
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
blAze wrote:
Zalon wrote:

If you knew, why did you decide to keep it to yourself? That's almost as lame as doing it.

Because I thought people knew, why would I mention it in a post on the forum if i didn't think that? See reply #15
2010-04-28, 09:53
462 posts

Jan 2006
How could people suddenly know that someone has enabled this? It doesn't make any sense. The servers even say antilag off and command locked.
  191 posts on 7 pages  First page1234567Last page