User panel stuff on forum
  13 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2010-03-30, 10:07
693 posts

Jan 2006
I have had an idea for a new tournament, inspired by the Davis Cup tennis. Previously I ran the QWWC, which featured a series of 1on1, 2on2 and 4on4 matches between national teams. This idea is pretty similar.

I will try to sum up in bullet points for those who have short attention spans:

*Clan/team-based rather than national teams
*Maximum of 3 players per team
*Best of 3 matches
*Round 1: team 1 selects a player and a map from TB5, team 2 selects a player to face him
*Round 2: team 2 selects a DIFFERENT player and a map from TB5, team 2 selects a DIFFERENT player to face him
*Round 3: if needed, the decider is done via 2on2

Discussion points:

*League structure: ladder? double-elimination? divisions?
*2on2 maps: one idea I had was to make the 2on2 map rotate each week, so that it is not chosen by teams eliminating or choosing, but rather by the admins. Could be a cool way to try out some new maps?
*1on1 maps: another idea is to have a choice of 3 maps for the 1on1 games each week/round. So week 1 could be TB3, week 2 could be Aero+ZTN3+another, week 3 could be 3 other kenya and so on.

Thoughts on the above and other ideas welcome.
2010-03-30, 10:57
78 posts

Aug 2006
Sounds really interesting, it kinda resembles some of the starcraft-leagues.
2010-03-30, 11:43
569 posts

Feb 2006
Some years ago i would have found this idea very nice. Now however this means that you would idle when your friend plays. I really dont have time for more idle-time in qw.
2010-03-30, 12:45
485 posts

Feb 2006
Don't see the point of Davis Cup. Except for the doubles and some minor tactical aspect of picking match-ups, it's not a team event. So that's my opinion on this idea too. Sorry.
2010-03-30, 12:52
459 posts

Mar 2008
If you feel for it, go ahead! Seems like a decent enough concept, and I'm sure you'll get enough sign-ups to keep both players and yourself busy :-)
2010-03-30, 15:08
15 posts

Mar 2010
me and oppy ran a knockout tournament like this for one of the trickery weekend things, with a 2v2 and two 1v1s. They could play the 1v1 games concurrently, so you didn't have to have any one idling. But in practice most people wanted to watch their teammates. It went really well from what I remember.
2010-03-30, 15:12
28 posts

Nov 2009
Willgurht wrote:
Some years ago i would have found this idea very nice. Now however this means that you would idle when your friend plays. I really dont have time for more idle-time in qw.

What about both matches happening at the same time?

EDIT:
Haven't seen telly_'s reply
2010-03-30, 15:50
693 posts

Jan 2006
How did the map pool work, telly?

edit: My current thinking is for a first season, it would be Smackdown-style/Champions League type setup. I'd want to see groups of 4-6 teams, with a 4 week first round period, followed by 1/4 finals, 1/2 finals and final. For maps, maybe the simplest thing for a first season would be a big map pool for the 1on1s, from which a team could choose any map (including the same map as the opposition), and for 2on2s just use the standard "one elimination each" method from TB5?
2010-03-30, 16:41
15 posts

Mar 2010
It was all custom maps, I picked them ahead of the tournament. The only choice the players had was who played which map in the duels. I think we used different maps for almost every round, and I tried to mix them up, and use the better known ones for the 2v2s.
2010-04-01, 07:53
53 posts

Feb 2006
I would like phil! to release the code of the LGC ladder system, or if the NQR ladder code could be released, so it could be developed and used again.
2010-04-01, 08:13
61 posts

Sep 2009
What about making it 3 matches fixed and make it teams of 2. You start with the mandatory 2on2 on TB3 (both drop 1 map and the decider is played) and then it's either 1-0 or 0-1. Afterwards, two duels are played concurrently and you have a surprising outcome.

EDIT: also read the reply above, this would be fun in a NQR ladder style instead of knockout.
2010-04-01, 09:19
693 posts

Jan 2006
I like your suggestion blixem, it's good to shift the focus slightly more on to the 2on2 (I think). I thought about a ladder, but I would like to see some kind of knockout tournament happening at the end. If you said "you have 4 weeks to play as many games as you want" in a ladder, would you get more games or fewer games than if you did SD-style groups?

The NQR ladder code should still be around. I think mli has it.
2010-04-01, 09:25
53 posts

Feb 2006
gaz wrote:
I like your suggestion blixem, it's good to shift the focus slightly more on to the 2on2 (I think). I thought about a ladder, but I would like to see some kind of knockout tournament happening at the end. If you said "you have 4 weeks to play as many games as you want" in a ladder, would you get more games or fewer games than if you did SD-style groups?

The NQR ladder code should still be around. I think mli has it.

If I could guess, the ladder system would generate more matches sinces everybody would like to land in the top 16 or in the zone for the knockout tournament. A kind of qualification.
  13 posts on 1 page  1