User panel stuff on forum
  234 posts on 8 pages  First page12345678Last page
General Discussion
2010-06-14, 07:10
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
Well, after some games you will learn who you play even with. Besides, there are a lot of fakers in 1on1 and 2on2 so how will the system know who is who without some sort of login like in quakelive etc?
Chosen
2010-06-14, 10:27
News Writer
254 posts

Mar 2006
pleuraXeraphim wrote:
Also I think getting a pak file that we can distribute with nQuake legally is very important....

Over the weekend was at a friends (who has never really played qw) and noticed he had bought QW/Quake 1 through Steam. So we decided to see what it must look like for new players.

Straight off the GL versions wouldnt load on his pc. (If I remember back, you had to remove the openGl dll file or something like that and then it would work). But anyway next he tried the QW Version. It loaded but was all pixelated and was set at a crap resolution. You could barely make out the menu. He was completely stumped as to how he was supposed to get access to a server list and to join a game. Obviously this being the original QW client there was no server list like exists EzQuake. Finally we tried the 4th launch link and he managed to get the Single Player Game going.

It was apalling that you might have paid 10 Euro and this was what you faced. You would be very quickly turned off.

If we could get nQuake up on Steam with a legal Pak file it would attract in players straight off. I know there was many discussions on the pak file before ? What is the status off this ?

Also as mentioned above, surely there are some people willing to get together and work on some of the suggestions in this thread? I know there are people doing stuff in the background but any others i getting together.

Anyone :-)

Btw: The Youtube collection is great phil. Really nice work.
I ain't got no time for this jibber jabber fool
2010-06-14, 10:43
1435 posts

Jan 2006
I suggest we throw the idea of free pak finaly into the garbage, compile "custom" dm* and e*m* maps which will have some suffix, like 'f' (free), remove dm* e*m* from all servers and start playing the free maps only. It is less work, works immediately without modifying clients or servers and doesn't need anyone to distribute any files to clients, they will download the map from server when it's needed.

Let's play dm4f instead of dm4 and get rid of this never ending topic once and for all, k?
2010-06-14, 11:19
303 posts

Jun 2007
+1 to idea with gpl maps. Only thing we'll lose - original map textures. But solid colors are not big deal because:

-most people (including me) use configs that make their QW butt-ugly for more visibility. gl_maxsize users can always use qrp stuff to have exactly the same look, and those who use gl_textureless or drawflat won't even notice any difference.
-there are 24-bit faithful textures for all maps. Even if someone prefers legoquake look, it's still perfectly possible with 24-bit textures.

Players who use software wouldn't be happy with that change, but... it's year 2010. There is no reason to run software client as you can get the same effect in OpenGl with texture filtering settings. And OpenGL clients have tons of usefull stuff.

Maybe some will consider it a heresy, but using recompiled maps also give unique possibility to fix some flaws. It's not like id were gods of mapmaking and modelling back then, Quake was first major step in to true 3D gaming and they had no examples to learn from.
2010-06-14, 11:19
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
I suggest we throw the idea of free pak finaly into the garbage, compile "custom" dm* and e*m* maps which will have some suffix, like 'f' (free), remove dm* e*m* from all servers and start playing the free maps only. It is less work, works immediately without modifying clients or servers and doesn't need anyone to distribute any files to clients, they will download the map from server when it's needed.

Let's play dm4f instead of dm4 and get rid of this never ending topic once and for all, k?

AMEN! Let's do it! \\\o///

Then we can celebrate QW's very own freedom day
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2010-06-14, 11:53
1435 posts

Jan 2006
I actually wonder why the goal is (was) to have GPL maps. With ezQuake we already distribute lots of material that isn't GPL at all (e.g. graphics). And it does not break GPL anyhow. Romero didn't release the maps under GPL (edit: not true). Id allows to use their textures for custom maps.

Edit: He did release it under GPL.
2010-06-14, 12:01
303 posts

Jun 2007
JohnNy_cz wrote:
I actually wonder why the goal is (was) to have GPL maps. With ezQuake we already distribute lots of material that isn't GPL at all (e.g. graphics). And it does not break GPL anyhow. Romero didn't release the maps under GPL. Id allows to use their textures for custom maps.

I wasn't aware. If it's that simple... why it weren't done right after release of maps sources?
2010-06-14, 13:12
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:

Let's make the clients use a free map even if the server is using an original one.... Lets not break the game for people who actually owns it.

No player with original paks will write /dm4f
2010-06-14, 13:41
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Zalon wrote:
Let's make the clients use a free map even if the server is using an original one....

For three years no one was able / motivated to do it. What makes you think it's still a way worth approaching?

Zalon wrote:
Lets not break the game for people who actually owns it.

Break? Why such strong word.

Zalon wrote:
No player with original paks will write /dm4f

Well exclude me then. I don't need to insist on playing map that is identical to possible free version. Why on earth would anyone insist on playing dm4 instead of dm4f?

Well anyway, Romero DID release the stuff under GPL, my previous post was wrong (I edited it now). So the whole discussion is pointless, sorry.
2010-06-14, 13:46
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
So what does it mean? That the original maps can be distrubuted with nquake?

I guess most of you dl pirated stuff anyway so whats the big deal with a few quakemaps? (rage all you like but its not a big deal)
Chosen
2010-06-14, 14:11
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Hooraytio wrote:
So what does it mean? That the original maps can be distrubuted with nquake?

I guess most of you dl pirated stuff anyway so whats the big deal with a few quakemaps? (rage all you like but its not a big deal)

The original maps with new textures (solid?) and new names that would replace the new ones would be distributed with nQuake yes. This means it would be even more click'n'play than it is today.

I don't think the issue with what it's like today is that you download pirated stuff because just like you say; "everyone" does it. For me the biggest gain would be the increased accessibility.
2010-06-14, 14:16
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Hooraytio wrote:
So what does it mean?

The map sources are gpl, if we want to compile- and be able to distribute them, we need gpl textures (this is not a problem for tb5)....

JohnNy_cz wrote:
For three years no one was able / motivated to do it. What makes you think it's still a way worth approaching?

The only project I know of is the one Tonik was working on, and IMHO his idea was a bit too large a project to do, IIRC he wanted to redo all maps, and get em to compile with the same CRC or at least make it so that the .lit files would work.

If we instead just focused on the maps we need, dm2, dm3, dm4 and dm6 - then it would be a far easier task to complete.

I propose that we include a dmX_gpl.bsp for each of the 4 maps in nQuake, and then make the clients able to fake the CRC using those gpl maps, and then we leave all the servers as is.
2010-06-18, 08:36
125 posts

Jan 2008
As someone said, Quakeworld is too hard for people to get into. This will eventually lead to its death.
As someone else said, Quakeworlds selling point has to be 4on4.

Bottom line, qw needs more players. Because more players = more equally skilled players.
Which means, that even if the game is hard to get into, there will still be a lot of players at the same level as yourself.
This is not the case as of today.

Theres two kinds of audiences which should be charmed into playing qw.
1. New kids on the block
2. Other FPS-gamers, q3,ql,cs,halo,cod, any other game.

Personally I think theres alot of gamers in other FPS-scenes that would love qw.
Most people in other quake games for example agrees that graphics is nothing to care (you tweak to the fastest anyways) about and that gameplay is the most important factor.
And getting more other quakers to try out qw for a season i think is as "simple" as:
1. Have a good exposure on ESreality and such.
2. I know this for some reason has proven to be harder in the qw scene than anything (please someone tell me why): --> SCHEDULED MATCHES <-- with coverage
As of now, only the players who are allready addicted to the scene (refreshing quakeworld.tv every minute) is able to follow it.
3. Rookie-division (this is a sub product to 1 & 2 getting increased interest of 4on4 qw)

Gah Im to tired to write anything more right now.
Peace out.
2010-06-19, 05:36
252 posts

Dec 2006
why dont you just break the law, by allowing download of dm maps in qw servers? its not like anyone will enforce the law even if they noticed which is also quite unliiely
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2010-06-19, 07:28
485 posts

Feb 2006
It's just easier to sell "one install with everything you need" without any hush-hush.
2010-06-19, 20:41
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Still, qw doesn't require new flashy hardware so noone's interested in sponsoring it! :<
2010-06-19, 20:47
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Peppe wrote:
Still, qw doesn't require new flashy hardware so noone's interested in sponsoring it! :<

CS doesn't either.
2010-06-20, 11:13
303 posts

Jun 2007
I don't think 4on4 is the best way to attract newbies. QW 4on4 require much more skill and teamplay: unbalanced weapons, RA as key item etc. It's simply hard to get in to. And gathering 8 players to play mix doesn't help either. I suggest Duel, 2on2 as way to show what QW is about to other FPS games veterans and FFA for those who are entirely new.

AND

Bring back CTF. Without hook, so people will learn how to bunny, hook is good for netQuake and Q2 (slower movement games basically). CTF never gets old and attract many players.
2010-06-20, 11:39
485 posts

Feb 2006
Peppe wrote:

High refresh rate LCDs are new hardware. And mouse requirements are same as any FPS.
2010-06-20, 12:31
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Kalma wrote:
Peppe wrote:

High refresh rate LCDs are new hardware. And mouse requirements are same as any FPS.

What would be really interesting is if it was possible to attract non-computer-hardware sponsors for once.
2010-06-20, 16:15
1754 posts

Jan 2006
High refreshrate LCDs eh, wouldn't you chose to advertise that with something that uses the cry-engine or smth? :>
ake, like Nike and coca-cola? ;P
2010-06-20, 17:48
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Ain't most new games locked at 60fps? and 30fps on consoles....?
2010-06-20, 17:53
303 posts

Jun 2007
QW should be sponsored by beer company. Playing QW, alongside drinking beer, is activity every real man should enjoy! \o/

And we can replace rocket model with bottle. And grenade with a can.

Jokes aside, i think mice manufacturers are good target. Maybe try netbooks? QW runs perfectly on low end notebooks and netbooks, so we can try to advertise it as fast, competitive, lightweight game for people who are on the go. But i'm afraid everybody will try to use touchpad for aiming.
2010-06-20, 18:07
370 posts

Mar 2008
New players don't want to play because we totally dominate them. I had gotten my brother to play and he was murdered so easily, he eventually said F THIS.
2010-06-20, 21:14
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Peppe wrote:
High refreshrate LCDs eh, wouldn't you chose to advertise that with something that uses the cry-engine or smth? :>
ake, like Nike and coca-cola? ;P

Why not? I realize it might be an extreme example but it's not like the World Cup players in any way benefit from drinking coke or whatever. (maybe snorting it though, but i don't think coca cola supplies that kind of coke :p)

I believe the only reason is because it's not been tried, like so many other ideas we throw around.
2010-06-23, 17:19
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Ye but still, coca cola is just so fkn huge, to not advertise in football-stadiums would be stupid
advertising in e-sports is so very very different :>
2010-06-24, 05:56
252 posts

Dec 2006
speaking of coca cola, in blind tasting everyone prefers pepsi, but when tasters are told one observes the conscious/cognitive part of the brain light up on an MRI and most people pursuade themselves that they like cocacola better. Advertising and other conditioning is very powerful.

Same results for taste tests of beer vs beer with a few drops of balsamic vineger. (prefer balsamic vineger laced until told)
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2010-06-24, 06:27
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Peppe wrote:
Ye but still, coca cola is just so fkn huge, to not advertise in football-stadiums would be stupid
advertising in e-sports is so very very different :>

Football and coca cola is probably one of the most extreme examples though. Orientation or some other obscure sport is probably a more fitting example of a real life sport size- and attention-wize that still somehow manages to get the sponsors (probably due to their highly dedicated people with connections).
2010-06-24, 16:15
231 posts

Jan 2006
"It's not just the gameplay I love, it's the scene"

This sentense makes me wanna start playing again. To bad I'm on win 7 64bit and a router too far away from the computer

/jOn
2010-06-24, 16:38
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
start _another_ clan jOn?
Chosen
  234 posts on 8 pages  First page12345678Last page