User panel stuff on forum
  234 posts on 8 pages  First page12345678Last page
General Discussion
2010-04-21, 15:22
462 posts

Jan 2006
Tezz wrote:
I hate to be cynical, but that attitude hasn't achieved anything in terms of community growth at all.

What game from 96 has achieved massive community growth in 2010? Exactly. People who are into gaming for new things will always move on no matter what. It's not that we are doing something wrong, it's that the task itself is almost impossible and against the very nature of computer gaming, which has always been about the newest, hottest games. It's a small miracle that we have a scene at all. You can never attract the masses who thirst for best graphics and new stuff with a 10+ year old game. Only thing what would happen is that the teenagers still wouldn't give a shit and you ruined the game for those few oldtimers who still cared.
2010-04-21, 16:39
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
couldnt agree more.
Chosen
2010-04-21, 17:57
15 posts

Mar 2010
The QW community hasn't rejected custom maps. CMT had loads of clans enter. The trickery 4v4 league went well, and I wish we had done more seasons.
EQL (and Smackdown and NQR in the past) isn't the venue to experiment with new map pools though.
If people want to play new maps they need to step up and organise some new tournaments.
2010-04-21, 19:29
793 posts

Feb 2006
Topic wrote:
How can we keep QW alive and increase numbers?

blAze wrote:
...the task itself is almost impossible and against the very nature of computer gaming

Hooraytio wrote:
couldnt agree more.

why post in this thread then?
i'm getting really tired of replies saying 'let it rest, qw is dying anyway' everytime someone points out that new maps might bring in new players.
2010-04-21, 20:05
462 posts

Jan 2006
dEus wrote:
why post in this thread then?

Truth hurts?

Quote:
i'm getting really tired of replies saying 'let it rest, qw is dying anyway' everytime someone points out that new maps might bring in new players.

Kenya fanatics are just using this argument to push their own agenda. No one has been able to show any link whatsoever between new maps and new players. To a new player, all maps are new.

EQL11 has been much more interesting than EQL10 and the map pool certainly plays a big part in it.

In my opinion QW should be introduced to the new players for what it is. This way, the people who get interested, if there are any, might actually stick with it for more than a week. Trying to attract the masses who are always moving on to the next new thing is a doomed effort. QW just isn't mainstream.
2010-04-21, 20:32
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
new maps wont spark more life into qw nor will it attract new players, the other stuff i said have a better chance and that doesnt even require any changes.
Chosen
2010-04-21, 20:32
793 posts

Feb 2006
Quote:

Quote:
No one has been able to show any link whatsoever between new maps and new players. To a new player, all maps are new.

that's true - except for the fact that the new player faces basically invincible players that have become one with the map over the last decade on the one type of map while new maps give a relatively level playing ground for both players.
it's pretty basic really and i have yet to find someone who disagrees with this. no scientifically proven link needed here really.

anyways, the map debate has been done and there is nothing new to add for me in the matter. i was just pointing out that there is no need to debate why it's impossible to keep quakeworld alive and attract new players in a thread that is dedicated to finding things that do exactly that.
2010-04-21, 20:54
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
just showing the awesome sides of qw with good movies and good tournaments will help alot
Chosen
2010-04-21, 21:10
357 posts

Nov 2008
telly_ wrote:
The American QW scene was killed this way. Three guys fakenicking on a server, each accusing the other of being Def.

If that's true, then you guys are not very smart because is the worst excuse i ever heard in order to stop playing a game.
Kick them? Ignore them? Own them? Join them? /cl_ignoreopponents 1; /name ImYourDaddy
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2010-04-21, 22:23
462 posts

Jan 2006
dEus wrote:
that's true - except for the fact that the new player faces basically invincible players that have become one with the map over the last decade on the one type of map while new maps give a relatively level playing ground for both players.

i was just pointing out that there is no need to debate why it's impossible to keep quakeworld alive and attract new players in a thread that is dedicated to finding things that do exactly that.

I'd say that the effect of a new map is somewhat neglible. In other words, a new player will get just as owned in a map that neither of them have ever seen.

I think it's equally valid to point out things that will NOT help achieving the goal of the topic, so that we can concentrate on methods that might actually work. Trying to change QW into something that it's not, is not such a method.
2010-04-21, 23:32
1329 posts

Apr 2006
blAze wrote:
Kenya fanatics are just using this argument to push their own agenda.

Much like you pushing yours by being the loudest one on every thread that mentions the possibility of new maps?
Servers: Troopers
2010-04-22, 05:39
462 posts

Jan 2006
Renzo wrote:
Much like you pushing yours by being the loudest one on every thread that mentions the possibility of new maps?

Being vocal is not a false argument. It's no secret that I don't want the game that I like ruined. This season of EQL has offered much more high quality games because we are playing maps that everyone knows well.
2010-04-22, 06:59
459 posts

Mar 2008
Think ill make an alias for that, time, when I'm up vs fakenickers. Oh, and the best thing is of course to own them and make them /quit. Even better if you get some whine out of them before that as well.

On the topic though, I also consider fakenicking a slight problem, but more because it annoys me that people want to hide their identity in such a small community rather than a reason for me to quit. Just makes me even more eager to improve to kick a fakers ass next time around. Can't really tell what other players feel, but if a whole QW community fell apart because of fakenicking, it might not be that much of a point to try and save it anyway. Try to make the best out of it, or don't ready if you don't feel like playing one.

I also agree with blaze on many points here, but I would also love to see a 4on4 tournament with only kenya or episode maps (not e1m2 obviously then). I dont want it enough to bother trying to organize anything myself, but I'd certainly sign up for it and try to get as good as possible on those maps in that list. I also think this seasons EQL is the best from a competitive point of view (edit: as long as I've been around), and I think that is because it is TB3 only. EQL should obviously imo stay this way looking at the activity this season, both to keep on to the oldies and making it a nice watch for the spectators, but another kind of tournament without any TB3 maps at all would also be very, very welcome, and could possibly also help attracting new players. At least we don't know that until we try :-)
2010-04-22, 07:29
386 posts

Apr 2006
Recently, the Spring leagues have been more active than Autumn/Winter ones, regardless of map pool. It's just far more noticeable with the relatively small pool of players we have had over the last couple of years. In addition to that, last EQL had more (and consequently smaller) divisions, artificially decreasing the activity even further. In fact, looking back, the leagues with 5 maps have consistently had more divisions all the way back as far as EQL 6, which had 6 divisions and also suffered severe activity problems, despite having a pool of 3 maps.

Correlation is not causation.

P.S. This is a little early for the EQL 12 kenyawhine, isn't it?
2010-04-22, 07:32
459 posts

Mar 2008
It is not kenya whine, it was mainly a post on how to keep qw alive / increase its numbers. I fail to see how your post however have anything with the topic to do at all :-)
2010-04-22, 07:35
462 posts

Jan 2006
It's more than correlation. Clans like SD that are struggling with activity can still give good performances against super-active teams like F and SR in TB3. Hands up anyone who'd rather watch SD-SR in cmt1b than dm2. Exactly.
2010-04-22, 07:40
386 posts

Apr 2006
1) I was rebutting a series of on-topic comments, which were themselves attempted rebuttals of other on-topic comments. I didn't split the thread into another line of discussion, I merely disagreed with some points that were made, which is well within the scope of this incredibly broad topic.

2) The "kenyawhine comment was meant to be humorous, hence my inclusion of a whimsical smiley image.

3) Okay, now I'm off topic because I responded to your off-topic post. YOU HAVE DOOMED US BOTH!
2010-04-22, 08:12
151 posts

Jan 2006
Come on qhlan? so people who come there that doesn´t play quake get blasted by the greatness of qw?
2010-04-22, 15:31
15 posts

Mar 2010
I don't care that much if people fakenick or not when I play them. I mean what is a realnick anyway. I hate "telly" but I just got stuck with it in 1996 and can't escape.
But playing under your "real" name more often is a small easy thing that everyone can do to improve the community.

Another thing I miss is players having clan tags in their name. I can't remember who started the fashion not to, but almost no one does now and I think it's a shame
2010-04-22, 15:36
370 posts

Mar 2008
I never used an alias in games really. My real name is Darin, so I usually make my nick say d4rin.
2010-04-23, 07:40
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
#139 some clans rather use team as their tag and keep the name clean (doesnt help to determine the clan of a player when it isnt a clan game tho, i know)
Chosen
2010-04-24, 03:19
28 posts

Nov 2009
Zalon wrote:
Played around with it a few days ago... It's a nice prototype of what will be possible in the future, but the QuakeLive way of using a plugin is still the way to go.

Indeed. I haven't played with it myself but I've read that it has some bugs and the performance isn't so good. I think I'll start to learn C and HTML5, by the time it gets playable I'll know enough to port QW. (no promises though )

Zalon wrote:
However the plugin and running a game in a browser is a non-issue, it's the backend to handle the match making, statistics etc that is the big issue.
Something that even QuakeLive havn't handled properly yet.

Really? Why exactly?
2010-04-25, 09:32
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
luizera wrote:
Really? Why exactly?

First of, Spike already made such a plugin, and it's not really that hard to make a plugin that embeds a program into a browser window.

Not compared to making live statistics, matchmaking and all the things that is in QuakeLive's backend, also it would require everyone to play QW that way for it to work, and I doubt you will be able to make people do that.
2010-04-25, 10:39
271 posts

Feb 2006
tbh, it doesn't really matter if the engine is embedded in the browser itself, or if the browser starts it because of file associations with a downloaded file (which ezquake can do already anyway). the engine is really not the hard part... well, unless you want it to run on a mac.
like zalon says, its the infrastructure that matters.
you have to:
1: track players in order to calculate their skill
this requires registration, kills off fake-nicking. etc. passwords, inconvieniences.
2: work out a player's ping to a given server in order to find the prefered server for a match.
this makes it take longer to actually get into a game.
3: get statistics from the server you picked.
you must trust the server to some extent. you may need to extend the server to get sufficient information.
4: maintain a database
mysql I guess. its a lot of work
5: deal with non-rated 'randomly' named players that just happened to join the chosen server mid-game.
this probably means avoiding the use of popular servers. ones which are likely popular because they have lower pings to most places. or perhaps 'booking' the server
6: provide ways to query the database in intuitive ways upon a website, perhaps during the match too.
good luck with that, I hope you're good with php+html.
moo
2010-04-29, 18:10
685 posts

Jul 2007
Create a youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/megalodonNL
2010-04-29, 18:34
370 posts

Mar 2008
I think John Carmack said in an interview they ID is working on Quake 2 with HTML. But I am not sure if they are going to bother with it, depends on how popular QuakeLive is I suppose.
2010-04-29, 19:08
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
good work #145 !
Chosen
2010-04-29, 21:10
685 posts

Jul 2007
Darin wrote:
I think John Carmack said in an interview they ID is working on Quake 2 with HTML. But I am not sure if they are going to bother with it, depends on how popular QuakeLive is I suppose.

WTF.... Rage, Doom4, AND Quake 2 ???
2010-04-29, 21:25
370 posts

Mar 2008
Quake 2 in HTML is a total waste of time.
2010-05-03, 08:37
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
That Quake2 "HTML5 webgl thingy" is pretty cool, but totally useless
  234 posts on 8 pages  First page12345678Last page