User panel stuff on forum
  11 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2010-03-20, 18:55
13 posts

Apr 2006
Evening!

I've just installed nQuake and it's downloaded EZQuake 2.0 stable (2768). I'm using Windows 7 with TCP auto tuning disabled and an MTU of 1450.

One thing I've noticed connecting to pretty much any server is that I get a constant 10-20 percent packetloss for no apparent reason. I've tried cl_maxfps 77 and 0 both to no improvement (that's with independent physics OFF), and I've tried cl_physfps 77 with independent physics ON. Nothing fixes it.

However, one thing that does sort-of fix it is cl_c2spps 1 and above, which increases my latency but appears to drop my packetloss down to 0. I've set it to around 77 and it seems...ok, but QuakeWorld is jerky as hell. My connection (Virgin Media cable 20mbit) is fine throughput wise, but pings to various sites have jitter up to around 80ms. I'm moaning at my ISP to see if they can resolve this, but I doubt they will.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to improve matters? I'm still experimenting with another PC (Windows XP based) to see if occurs there, after which I'll reply here with the results. I figured I'd ask while I'm testing though, as it can't hurt.

Thanks.
2010-03-20, 20:38
117 posts

Jan 2006
I'd be very suprised if it was Windows 7 causing that. Knowing others with Virgin cable I'm 99% sure it's your isp's fault. Sure it's great for downloading.. but games? Some have pretty good pings on it mind (I've seen 70-80% pl for others though). Sadly the only way to go for stable pings is ADSL
2010-03-20, 23:32
23 posts

Aug 2009
I don't think it's Windows 7... I had the same problem for years, and the only resolution was to change the isp Now Im using Windows 7 x 64, and qw works fine without any tweaks or settings, neither qw or os... I have pl 0 and ping 40-70, but thats just normal assuming that I live in romania and most servers are far away.

When i had pl, somebody told me that it's possible for my sysadm to solve this, making a priority rule for qw packets. Sorry I can't be more precise, networking is not my forte. However my sysadm never bothered with that and i doubt your isp will bother either, unfortunately.
2010-03-22, 01:03
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
It's almost certainly down to the ISP, I had 40-80% pl with VM at times.
I use Windows 7 and haven't really tweaked anything in OS/QW (beyond my existing config of course), it just works out the box.

If you want a good connection for QW the best ISP is probably Be as you can disable interleaving, I think Driz pings around 7ms first hop with that and hence can just about get 26ms in Denmark on a good day.
2010-03-22, 10:28
693 posts

Jan 2006
What are Be like on their basic package? I could switch and save a few quid a month over Sky Broadband, and if it could get me a lower ping in QW, even better! Sky BB isn't bad, but I have a scratchy 40ms to XS4ALL and just about 51ms to Denmark.

edit: Fuck that, I'd have to switch my phone from Sky to BT. I am not giving BT my business if I can help it!
2010-03-22, 10:40
News Writer
283 posts

Jan 2007
I was with VM for a couple of years and the PL was awful... however, emrys (vodka) recently came back & has solved a similar PL problem by changing his router / hub thing - worth a try.

Best UK ISP is Bethere, but best when taking cost into account is O2 - they use the same network as Be but don't allow you to disable interleaving, so it's ~13ms higher than Be pings (26ms to uk/fr/nl, 38ms to .dk). If you have an O2 phone you can get a cheaper deal, and you might be able to get some cashback deals too (we got £100 cashback, £10 a month but the first two months were free, so effectively £0 for 1 year). Yeah you do have to switch to a BT line though...
2010-03-22, 17:05
117 posts

Jan 2006
Yup Be* really are nice, personally my pings with them have gone a bit odd recently but it's still great. They are the only ISP which gave me 12ms in qw for one.
2010-03-22, 20:56
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Getting O2 kinda defeats the object (optimal qw connection though as you can't disable interleaving, personally I'd pay £50/month for Be but it's not available at my exchange (I signed up when we first moved here and it took them about a month to figure that out, gg)
2010-03-23, 10:23
129 posts

Mar 2007
I occasionally would ping wargamez at 26-27ms using ping.exe but needed to be a few ms lower for 26 in game But could get 26 in game to dybbuk! This was in 2007 though when I was in a 1 bed flat and could plug straight into the router; no one tells you homeplug has 4ms of latency

Gaz: you could try giving your phone to the post office. It might just be BT resold but at least there'd be some sort of moral victory.
2010-03-23, 15:21
117 posts

Jan 2006
Yeah you need 24ms or less for 25 in-game, even I could get 25 in-game to dybbuk sometimes last year.. not any more though!
2010-03-27, 19:30
13 posts

Apr 2006
I just forked out for a Be Value ADSL connection - I'm aware interleaving can't be turned off for this, but as long as it's a stable connection I'm more than happy. A happy surprise is that after cashback, it cost me £50 for the year!

Thanks for the replies.
  11 posts on 1 page  1