User panel stuff on forum
  21 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2010-02-10, 17:37
Member
133 posts

Registered:
Sep 2007
Since i'm considering to play in Ownage for 2 rounds I'm forced to install ezquake 2.0. Last time I tried this ezquake simply crashed so I tried again today and it still crashes.
I boot ezquake... my screen turns grey for a moment and then I return to windows which is telling my ezquake just crashed... Also my gamma is a bit messed up.

I use winXP. 2 gig. Intel Coer 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4Ghz. and a Radeon X1950Pro 512mb I think.

Any ideas?
2010-02-10, 17:42
Member
386 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
This happens to me whenever I install a clean ezquake. I suspect it is because your machine doesn't support the default video settings.

Just start ezquake with resolution and refresh rate command line switches, save something that works to your config, then remove the switches.

-width
-height
-freq

That should fix it.
2010-02-10, 19:58
Member
133 posts

Registered:
Sep 2007
It worked! Thanks Stev.
2010-03-06, 13:06
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
Well, I went back to 1.9.1 since that worked fine for me (and I don't do competitions so...).

I had multiple crashes with 2.0 stable release as well, even though I took the effort to save my cfg in unchanged mode so that everything should be the same in the new version. But...something I've noticed instantly were these new skins for quad & pent. I want to have everything THE SAME so why isn't it the same? In 2.0 the quad & pent skins look like moving clouds while I prefer fully blue skin for Q and red for P. I'm sure u can change these things again, but I don't WANT to have to dig into my cfg again if I took the effort of saving everything pixel perfect. I'm not interested in graphic changes.

My crashes happened when loading bot cfg's, like bot_ffa, which worked fine in 1.9.1.
2010-03-06, 13:27
Member
1435 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
megalodon wrote:
In 2.0 the quad & pent skins look like moving clouds

???
2010-03-06, 14:17
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
JohnNy_cz wrote:
megalodon wrote:
In 2.0 the quad & pent skins look like moving clouds

???

It's not a normal brightskin anymore, there's moving spots in the skin.
2010-03-06, 16:05
Member
386 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
megalodon wrote:
It's not a normal brightskin anymore, there's moving spots in the skin.

My guess is that gl_powerupshells is on. Either that or gl_flashblend.
2010-03-06, 17:08
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
Stev wrote:
megalodon wrote:
It's not a normal brightskin anymore, there's moving spots in the skin.

My guess is that gl_powerupshells is on. Either that or gl_flashblend.

Probably not, because I use faithful settings preset which turns of those things as far as I know. But I don't know for sure cause I don't have 2.0 anymore. My point is that there's always some kind of change that I don't want, even when I save properly (unchanged).
2010-03-06, 17:42
Member
1435 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
megalodon wrote:
I want to have everything THE SAME so why isn't it the same

ezQuake will always aim for new users, so new features that are worth it will always be turned on by default. For some features we put them off by default in the first version and in next one default on, so those who upgrade version by version and always save whole configuration get some non-default but legacy behavior.

Then there's also /legacyquake command that turns off lots of graphical features.

However of course if you want to have everything pixel by pixel same as before, you do best if you stay with one version forever.
2010-03-06, 20:18
Moderator
1329 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
ezQuake will always aim for new users, so new features that are worth it will always be turned on by default.

Great tactic. Yet still failing to make simple things simple (like uh, let's see, making certain routing feature annoying to configure), instead pissing off the old users with "features worth turning on by default", like the console rain and powerup shells for starters.
Servers: Troopers
2010-03-06, 21:48
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
JohnNy_cz wrote:
megalodon wrote:
I want to have everything THE SAME so why isn't it the same

ezQuake will always aim for new users, so new features that are worth it will always be turned on by default. For some features we put them off by default in the first version and in next one default on, so those who upgrade version by version and always save whole configuration get some non-default but legacy behavior.

Then there's also /legacyquake command that turns off lots of graphical features.

However of course if you want to have everything pixel by pixel same as before, you do best if you stay with one version forever.

My point is that you screw up things that worked fine and now suddenly don't work fine anymore. Same thing with GFX presets: in 1.9alpha I could load the Eyecandy preset, and my skin settings would remain intact. With 1.9.1 and 2.0 stable however, my enemy brightskins are suddenly GONE after loading that same preset and THERE IS NO WAY TO GET THEM BACK. I mean wtf is up with that? The High Eyecandy and the Faithful preset work fine - they keep the skins the same.

Here's screenshots:

My normal settings (faithful) with green brightskins:
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7254/ezquake005.jpg


After loading Eyecandy Preset:
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1043/ezquake022.jpg




Another problem, this time with being a free floating spectator: in 1.9a, I could spec by hanging above a crowded room and the view would stay frozen (when not touching the mouse) as it should be. In the stable versions however, players die, my view rotates 90 degrees at the moment of death (I'm not kidding). And if a lot of ppl die, that means my view rotates a lot while speccing. It seems it's angle sensitive.

Screenshot when player dies:
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7789/ezquake007.jpg



Here's the weird cloudy skin when using gl_powerupshells 1 (thanks stev):
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3179/ezquake008.jpg






I respect you for coding ezquake, but fucking up things that just worked before is too much like Raven in Quake4.
2010-03-06, 22:24
Member
1435 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
That's probably gl_nocolors 1. When there was no real support for 24bit skins, this was the only setting to get 24bit textures displayed on players. That setting causes lots of confusion and should probably be removed from the presets.

The other thing sounds like some weird bug, please report it properly.

Finally gl_powerupshells is disabled by aforementioned legacyquake command.
2010-03-06, 22:45
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
JohnNy_cz wrote:
That's probably gl_nocolors 1. When there was no real support for 24bit skins, this was the only setting to get 24bit textures displayed on players. That setting causes lots of confusion and should probably be removed from the presets.

omfg!!! So that's it !!! If you'd know how I've been checking the skinsettings and stuff in my cfg and gl settings etc..... I'd never guessed that it was gl_nocolors. Ok so that problem is solved, for ME, that is. But I'm sure other users out there have the same issue when loading the Eyecandy preset. Still doesn't make sense to me why the gl_nocolors 1 isn't used in the HIGH eyecandy preset if you say that this was the only way to get 24bit textures displayed on players. So yes, that setting should be at "0".


JohnNy_cz wrote:
Finally gl_powerupshells is disabled by aforementioned legacyquake command.

Yeah, but SOME new features I DO like, you see. Like the hud_ownfrags and some other stuff as well. And this Eyecandy Preset is also nice. I didn't use it because it fucked up my skins.
2010-03-07, 11:52
Administrator
1025 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
You can't exactly complain about new features requesting their default off, then saying you don't wanna turn them all off, cause you do like some of them...
2010-03-07, 12:39
Member
485 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
Consider using ezQuake manual/google: http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/docs/?player-skins
2010-03-07, 13:54
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
People like you still don't get the point. I don't request new features to be off by default. If other users like to solve problems introduced by new Ezquake versions, fine. But when there's a MANUAL (which I do read, so I don't have to consider shit), and inside that very manual it explains the unchanged cfg save option SO THAT EVERYTHING STAYS PIXEL PERFECT, is it really so strange that I actually expect it to be pixel perfect? Is it really so weird that, when using the EXACT SAME SETTINGS as in a previous release (gl_powerupshells 1), that this very same setting suddenly causes a problem in a new Ezquake version? Are you guys actually reading my posts or just skimming through it?

The same holds true for all the other problems I've mentioned. It just worked as it should in previous versions and newer versions screw things up. This is fact, not fiction, ladies. So if new features screw things up, then indeed I'm not interested in them, as I've explained. If it DOES work fine, then I might use them, because some are nice indeed.

What I don't like about this topic, is that certain people, including the developer himself, do not admit that indeed things are screwed up in newer versions that worked normally before. That's weak and provokes me to type these extra comments. Just say: "oops, sorry... I guess I forgot to include gl_nocolors 0 for the Eyecandy Preset just as I've done with the High Eyecandy Preset". Etc. But instead, I'm supposed to use the Legacy option. Riiiiiiiight.

Anyway, I'm back to 1.9.1 because these crashes (and fps problems/stuttering) don't seem to end and I just don't like to always have to solve problems in newer versions. And cmd line stuff shouldn't be necessary according to the Ezquake MANUAL (again, read again: MANUAL......I've read the MANUAL.....got it? Again: MANUAL), so it's just another example of how suddenly you got to do things to solve a new problem introduced with a new version (see first posts in this topic). I mean is that nuts or what? It's promoted that cmd line stuff is NOT necessary, but, ofcourse, in a NEW version of Ezquake, suddenly people will have to come here at this forum and suddenly read that now the do need cmd line stuff. What's wrong with this picture?

So don't tell me to read the manual or that I can't complain about new features, because that's not the point (that you morons keep missing). I've made my point loud and clear and I'm still waiting for you people to fucking get it. So here it is again:

Newer Ezquake versions screw things up that worked fine in older versions. Nobody can deny that.


Last but not least:

The argument for new features is usually that it should attract new players, right? So that it adds to the popularity of the game? But if new problems come with those new features, do you really think it's contributing to the popularity of the game? That's something to think about. Because new players usually DO NOT go through lot's of effort to solve problems.
2010-03-07, 14:01
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
I'd also like the rules of tournaments to be adjusted: there must be an older version of ezquake allowed for people who don't like to solve problems that come with newer EzQuake versions.
2010-03-07, 14:12
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
Oh yeah, the ownage rules:

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

03. Clients

The only clients allowed in Ownage are Mqwcl 0.96, the latest official release version of FuhQuake (0.31) and the latest official release version of ezQuake (2.0 Stable). The only allowed proxy are Qizmo 2.91 and latest Qwfwd as it can help with routing. Standard QWCL clients are no longer valid for competition play.

Cmdline-Parameters
Mqwcl is required to have -noscripts in the cmdline parameters.
FuhQuake is required to have -ruleset smackdown and and -norjscripts in the cmdline parameters.
ezQuake parameters have no longer to be set in cmdline. Just having the appropriate variables set and saved is enough nowadays.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Well..... I guess that's not accurate
2010-03-07, 15:30
Member
386 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
You're just being willfully ignorant now. The highlighted text is perfectly accurate, which you'd know if you actually read what I said instead of looking for excuses not to fix your one problem that has nothing to do with command line variables.
2010-03-07, 19:10
Member
1435 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
megalodon wrote:
inside that very manual it explains the unchanged cfg save option SO THAT EVERYTHING STAYS PIXEL PERFECT, is it really so strange that I actually expect it to be pixel perfect?

I agree, this section of manual was wrongly formulated. I've now rewritten it.
Also yesterday I removed gl_nocolors from the presets configs.
Thanks for the feedback.
Not quite sure what you mean with the cmdline options.
2010-03-09, 21:57
Member
685 posts

Registered:
Jul 2007
Stev wrote:
You're just being willfully ignorant now. The highlighted text is perfectly accurate, which you'd know if you actually read what I said instead of looking for excuses not to fix your one problem that has nothing to do with command line variables.

Well, I had more then one problem if you read my posts.

But, perhaps indeed it's just that his system (topic starter) couldn't handle the default video settings. On the other hand, I had crashes too, and perhaps cmd line options could have prevented my crashes as well, although they didn't happen immediately after booting Ezq.
  21 posts on 1 page  1