User panel stuff on forum
  18 posts on 1 page  1
Capture the Flag
2010-01-27, 11:28
405 posts

Jan 2006
anyone know few small ctf maps? not some stupid huge maps with looooooooong passages
<3
2010-01-27, 15:55
4 posts

Jun 2006
head is a small one it's just one room works well for 1v1 or 2v2

pound is a nice map not too large easy to get around

twctf1 is also on the small side once you learn it it's a fast map

there was also a ctf gold map pack one of those was on the small side ctfgold7 I think

you could also try
gym.bsp
capit.bsp
madtower.bsp (some love it some hate it)

twctf9.bsp is popular on the ThunderWalker server the original version has a bug that will sometimes crash the server
I can send you the fixed version if you want to check it out
2010-01-27, 16:10
133 posts

Sep 2007
qqshka wrote:
anyone know few small ctf maps? not some stupid huge maps with looooooooong passages

The most played 2 vs 2 ctf map is e2m2. Awesome 2n2 ctf map.
2010-01-27, 16:20
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
imo, qw ctf is the best, mainly because of the grappling hook. its fast - and it is used to fasten movement A LOT
in the begining, the hook made ctf special, a diferent mod, totally 3d, and FUN. it was great, i was a great fan!

unfortunately, i see now, imo, the hook is partially responsible for ctf's apparent death. because:
* its hard to master
* when mastered, its WAY TOO FAST!
* it requires low ping in the learning process. i'de say, its hard to learn to master the hook if you play with >50ms
* The skill difference in ctf between an ok player and a master player is HUGE, much more than in DM, not because of weapons aim, but because of hook control.

I could never imagine myself saying what i am about to say 5 or 10 years ago. but i think if we (qw community) got rid of the hook, ctf would be better at this point. Lets face it, at least in europe, ctf is DEAD. if there was no hook, it would be more similiar to regular dm, reducing the entropy, causing more players to play it. I played a bit quakelive, mostly ctf (because, ill say again: I LOVE CTF) and i must say, even without hook, its FUN. I couldnt stop thinking, if there was no hook in qw ctf, maybe more players would play it.

I believe this is true.

But, returning to the topic,
the concept of "small" is different in ctf than it is on DM. and this is because.... you got it, the grappling hook.
Because the hook allows you to move SO MUCH FASTER, even with the different physics, typical in ctf (more netquake like - bunny is harder to mantain, etc)

Anyway, i used to play e1m5, e2m2, dm2 (the ctf one), huh, i cant really remember more... its been so long...

dont forget to visit http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/CTF

some nostalgia ctf screenshots:
http://dopefish.no.sapo.pt/lan/25feb00/index.html
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2010-01-27, 20:27
405 posts

Jan 2006
Ah, I forget to mention, I don't like hook either, I don't like players moving like "Brownian motion". In ktx for example you can turn hook off so that why I ask about small 2x2 maps

So, I think it whould be good to have few small ctf maps ( 2x2 suitable ) and allow ctf to be turned on on ktx servers around europe, atm most serers disallow "/ctf" command, dunno why, probably because our default server package disallow it too. hehe.

May be its not all about 2x2 ctf, probably 4x4 should be interesting too, but without damn hook ofc.

May be we can get some maps from TF suitable for CTF?

Ah, and I hear, that you can play CTF on dm maps, but since they are not simmetrical you play two rounds, first for red, then for blue, and then accumulate score.
<3
2010-01-27, 21:52
485 posts

Feb 2006
Yes. Hook off and team damage on!
2010-01-27, 23:35
133 posts

Dec 2008
>May be we can get some maps from TF suitable for CTF?

Hardly it is possible to use tf maps in ctf.
Simply there will be no flags.
May be it is fixable with .ent files.

You should better play TF. It is faster than CTF (with or without hook ;-) )

I do not like q3 but it has many nice ctf maps
2010-01-28, 04:01
215 posts

Mar 2006
in MTF we played 2v2 matches called "quads": 2x10 minute rounds of capture the flag, O vs. D, teams switch after first round.
we played on small maps (with flags) to keep the action quick:

xpress3, xpress2, mininoheros, mini32s, midair (not the midair mod version), rs_zz1, egypt, insanity2, genders2, 2mach1, blitzkrieg2, torque3, 2farms, box3, cyb1, 1on1fortc, cube, 4tech1, h4rdcore, ftactic1, ftactic2, optics5, desperat, curve . etc.
It Takes A Tough Man To Make A Tender Rocketjump
2010-01-28, 08:12
133 posts

Sep 2007
ctf isn't coming back with or without hook.
I love qwctf for it's intense speed and the hook. I will never play qwctf without hook, don't see the point.
I might as well play QLctf then, which I actually do sometimes
2010-01-28, 18:42
405 posts

Jan 2006
Kwibus wrote:
I love qwctf for it's intense speed and the hook. I will never play qwctf without hook, don't see the point.

fortunatelly its not you who decides such things
<3
2010-01-28, 18:47
405 posts

Jan 2006
se-sss wrote:
>May be we can get some maps from TF suitable for CTF?

Hardly it is possible to use tf maps in ctf.
Simply there will be no flags.
May be it is fixable with .ent files.

You should better play TF. It is faster than CTF (with or without hook ;-) )

I do not like q3 but it has many nice ctf maps

It is possibile with .ent files and again like CTF suck because of hook TF suck because of complexity however there other side of the coin and one may love it for that...

And yes, q3 have nice ctf maps... not like we can use it. At least not with mvdsv and ezquake...
<3
2010-01-28, 18:50
405 posts

Jan 2006
purplehaze wrote:
in MTF we played 2v2 matches called "quads": 2x10 minute rounds of capture the flag, O vs. D, teams switch after first round.
we played on small maps (with flags) to keep the action quick:

xpress3, xpress2, mininoheros, mini32s, midair (not the midair mod version), rs_zz1, egypt, insanity2, genders2, 2mach1, blitzkrieg2, torque3, 2farms, box3, cyb1, 1on1fortc, cube, 4tech1, h4rdcore, ftactic1, ftactic2, optics5, desperat, curve . etc.

thx for list
<3
2010-01-28, 19:20
793 posts

Feb 2006
+1 for mininoheroes or maybe preskool
2010-01-28, 22:33
133 posts

Dec 2008
some nice maps are already named.
Let` continue: river3 (small), ftrial3 (small), oldtown (nice medium with several paths to flag), mbasesl, betacrash, well6 (big, hook required for ctf), bastion (medium, nice bunnyhop), turtle (medium), 2stag1r, cloudy, caverns(may be nice for ctf if you manage to make additional passages opened).

[offtop]
>tf complexity
making 3 additional binds for grenades is not complex ;-)
[/offtop]
2010-01-29, 00:40
78 posts

Aug 2006
Just a tip, if you want to raise the interested among the old ctf:ers you should definetly keep the hook.
If that ever was the issue?
2010-01-29, 15:14
133 posts

Sep 2007
qqshka wrote:
Kwibus wrote:

fortunatelly its not you who decides such things

It doesn't matter. The people that played qwctf are all gone, except for a few that still play tdm. So if you introduce qwctf without a grapple it won't be the people that originally played ctf that will play it. This ofcourse doesn't matter.
Anyways, I have a huge love for qwctf and I really miss it sometimes. Without a hook it would be boring. Nothing as intense as qwctf <3

Still qwctf won't be coming back. I know i'm not the one that decides it, but I'll give you 100 bucks if you succesfully get over 10 people playing ctf for over a year
2010-01-29, 16:58
News Writer
69 posts

Sep 2006
I could play some ctf 2on2 or 4on4 without hook. In qwctf the hook is just too fast and it ruins the gameplay in my opinion.
2010-01-29, 17:53
4 posts

Jun 2006
mushi wrote:
Because the hook allows you to move SO MUCH FASTER, even with the different physics, typical in ctf (more netquake like - bunny is harder to mantain, etc)

If your using purectf 1.99 beta4 you can add localinfo noautofriction 1 to your server.cfg that should give you more normal physics/movement

You can also turn the hook off in purectf with localinfo hook 1

I also noticed in the default server.cfg purectf has sv_mintic 0.03 not sure what effect this may have on movement if any
I think the default in mvdsv is sv_mintic 0.013

Playing without hook could be fun but you would need to choose your maps carefully because allot of them were made with the hook in mind so without the hook on some maps you may not even be able to get to the flag, powerups etc
  18 posts on 1 page  1