User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Help  ‹  Mouse acting up
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2009-12-30, 17:28
6 posts

Feb 2006
I have a mx518, after a few hours of gaming out of nowhere the problems started.

When I start my PC it takes a very short time (few seconds) before mouse drivers (or even settings in either windows or setpoint/mouseware) kick in and the mouse moves really slow. As if the sensitivity is about 1/10th of what it usually is. Now that is not a problem but what started to happen was that out of the blue, whether in QW or not, the mouse would act like no settings were loaded at all, and move at 1/10th of the speed.

The problem would be solved when opening and closing Setpoint but it would only last for 30 seconds to 30 minutes before it bugged again. It actually started on the day of the eql semi vs f0m so I asked like 100 people if they had a clue that day. Rikoll then gave me a tip that would also solve the problem and a lot quicker than opening/closing setpoint. When I click the + button on the mouse it goes back to the correct speed. Implying that the DPI setting resets despite that I have only 1 DPI option in the menu and the + and - keys are not bound to DPI changing settings.

On the other hand, if Setpoint really is dead the original binds to buttons would probably be restored so + and - indeed change DPI. Inside 24 hours from when it started it went to going to 1/10th speed every few minutes and inside 48 hours it also started turning off and needs to be unplugged and back in the USB port in order to start up again.

Of course the first thing I did was install the newest version of Setpoint, no better. Then based on advice from several people I completely removed Setpoint, no better, then installed old Mouseware, no better.

Last but not least, plugged in my old MX310 to check if that would act up too but no, it works like a charm (except for the mouse 1 button that doesn't click half the time but that's why I replaced it )

Tbh I pretty much accepted it's not fixable last week but if anyone has an idea, bring it on!

Thanks already
2009-12-30, 17:50
485 posts

Feb 2006
DPI setting goes to lowest if the mouse loses power. Maybe the cable has gone bad, because there is no anti-bend protection in the mouse end. I know this has happened to couple of people. It's really bad design.
2009-12-30, 18:30
53 posts

Feb 2008
sounds like you have a breakage in the cable.can you try another mx518 ?
2009-12-30, 21:24
569 posts

Feb 2006
i broke an mx518 cable once. had the very same symptoms before it finaly broke
2010-01-03, 15:25
6 posts

Feb 2006
Thanks for the replies guys, now I at least know what's wrong

Happy new year btw xD
2010-01-04, 00:03
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
happy new year and congrats on your 5th post!

:~(
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
  6 posts on 1 page  1