User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2009-12-11, 18:30
182 posts

Mar 2006
Some of you know about FlashQuake (Play it) which Spirit found.

This engine uses an internally embedded pak0.pak, but Flash has the ability to pull in data (download) from external URLs and obviously can parse filenames out of a URL like mysite.php?demo=mydemo.dem

I made compiling notes for FlashQuake, but myself am rather "Flash-retarded" in that I don't understand Flash's whole ActionScript language and how everything works.

FlashQuake compiling notes: http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=1835
Porting The ProQuake Engine To FlashQuake: http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=1852

Porting the NetQuake engine ProQuake to Flash (minus network features, Flash doesn't support networking really) took only 4 hours. Actually less because I didn't spend all that time working on it. But the point was, it was simple.

Here is the ProQuake Engine (software renderer version) ported to Flash: http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=19592&highlight=flashproquake+4+00#19592
And here is an example where I changed the data from Quake to X-Men: Ravages of Apocalypse to Flash: (play it)

http://www.zerogravity.com.au/portfolio/xmen/xmenLogo.jpg

If there are any bored and talented engine coders or Flash designers hanging around here, a worthy project might be making it so all the Quakeworld demos on ChallengeTV can be watched in Flash on the Challenge TV site.

For someone who "gets Flash development" this might be only a 3-4 hour project on the ActionScript 3.0 side.
--------
Is that a roll of toothpicks in your pocket or are you just happy to see Sassa?
2009-12-12, 20:19
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
When I saw this some weeks ago my first thought was "OMG YES, WE NEEDZ THIS!" Just like the Shockwave Quake (Quake Reloaded) released some years ago, this was an easy way to get our content out to people who don't have QW. And this was in flash, so much better that shockwave, in terms of accessibility for the audience in mind.

With it we could have both a demo viewer and a replacement for doing live streams, if QTV+Mumble support was added that is. But after looking a bit into it, I don't find it to be a good idea any longer.

We can't run the game very fluently in flash, the lack of proper networking, the lack of opengl... and the fact that you would have to load the game files each time.

Only plus compared to nQuake is that people could use it from work
2009-12-12, 21:41
182 posts

Mar 2006
Zalon wrote:
We can't run the game very fluently in flash, the lack of proper networking, the lack of opengl... and the fact that you would have to load the game files each time.

Only plus compared to nQuake is that people could use it from work

Using Flash as a client sure wouldn't work.

But in all fairness, I was suggesting it as an "on a whim demo viewer"

One that could take uploaded demos and then make them easily viewable without having a client installed nor having to turn things in a bulky AVI or uploading to YouTube.

If there are 10,000 demos on challenge-tv, why make someone have to go through hoops to watch them?
--------
Is that a roll of toothpicks in your pocket or are you just happy to see Sassa?
2009-12-12, 23:40
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
I know you only suggested a demo viewer, but then just remove the network part of what I wrote

Zalon wrote:

You still need to download the client data files in some way. With the flash demo viewer, you would have to do it each time.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I just don't think it would work that great in practice - compared to having an actual client.
2009-12-13, 12:05
1100 posts

Jan 2006
You could make it a one time per visit download and then fetch the demos each (with fancy ajax crap).
2009-12-13, 14:00
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Yeah spirit, but it was the "one time per visit" that I referred to as being too much
  6 posts on 1 page  1