User panel stuff on forum
  46 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Rookies' Corner
2009-12-05, 09:41
19 posts

Dec 2009
Good day everyone!

Today I was practicing a bit of Rocketjumping but it ended in a failure! I see most of the good players that reach incredible speeds with a single rj and have a smooth almost-horizontal movement. Not that I want to master everything in just three days, but I feel that I'm not going in the right direction. My jump is really slow and mostly vertical (I hit ceilings\walls while doing it).

I shoot my rocket while walking\bunnyhopping. I shoot it directly at my feet (is that the right tecnique?). I've tried to shoot right behind me but nothing interesting happened. I've watched lots of demos, but I can't emulate those movements yet :|

Any advices?

Thanks a lot in advance!
2009-12-05, 10:01
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Fluo wrote:
I shoot it directly at my feet (is that the right tecnique?)

No, that works in Q3/QL, in QW it's different. You need to do 180° turn, shoot a little behind you + jump (and turn back).
RJs in QW are never purely vertical: |
As you cannot look straight to the ground in QW, it will always be a little like: \
Therefore doing RJ and not looking behind you will always reduce your forward speed.
2009-12-05, 10:22
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
You can start by backing and shooting at your feet, this will send you flying backwards, then practice to turn midair so you see were you are going. Finally learn to quickly turn 180, shoot the floor and quickly turning back to face forward while flying
Chosen
2009-12-05, 12:23
19 posts

Dec 2009
Thanks a lot for the advices, I will try it out as soon as possible
2009-12-05, 13:17
8 posts

Sep 2009
Remember to press shoot.. for some reason I sometimes forget that and just flicker around with my mouse.
2009-12-06, 09:32
21 posts

May 2007
As JohnNy_cz mentioned, in qw you cant look up/down 90 degrees exactly. If you run forward and look down as much as you can and shoot a rocket it will explode a bit in front of you, and because of this the splash damage will slow you down. If you want to accelerate, the best way is to rocketjump 180 degree away from the direction you want to go, having exactly the opposite effect.
The vertical movement can be controlled how much you look down... Try on dm6 to rj from the green armor spot to the tunnel leading to grenade launcher.

Back to the "forward" RJ:
Some rocket jumping techniques in qw include that you jump a bit earlier than you shoot the rocket, this way the rocket needs a bit more time to travel to the gorund giving more time to "fly" over it before it explodes. This is not the general way to accelerate and to jump over things because in the best case you can maintain your speed. Also it requires some extra initial speed since need to cover the distance from the point you shoot the rocket to the point of explosion in front of you.
An example for this is to jump over the stairs as you go from YA to Pent window in dm3.

I hope it makes sense

Cheers
2009-12-06, 10:14
19 posts

Dec 2009
So the vertical movement is directly affected by how much I look down, interesting! I will try it again, thanks a lot for the advices, you're very helpful
2009-12-06, 10:43
133 posts

Sep 2007
littleomar wrote:
Remember to press shoot.. for some reason I sometimes forget that and just flicker around with my mouse.

lol indeed. It's weird, but indeed I know the feeling. I lost a lot of duels in the past because of not shooting when I needed to rj and thus losing control. Thank god I don't duel anymore
2009-12-06, 11:13
19 posts

Dec 2009
Kwibus wrote:
littleomar wrote:

lol indeed. It's weird, but indeed I know the feeling. I lost a lot of duels in the past because of not shooting when I needed to rj and thus losing control. Thank god I don't duel anymore

Also happens to me a lot, because I'm used to the slow Q3\QL movements, and I jump when it's too late
2009-12-06, 11:36
1100 posts

Jan 2006
I recommend watching speedruns, I learned a lot of movement from there. http://speeddemosarchive.com/quake/
2009-12-06, 13:42
251 posts

Jul 2007
littleomar wrote:

Heh. That reminds me of another basic for RJs, you need rockets!!1! =)

Fluo: If you want to gain horizontal speed only, you might also try to "RJ" off a nearby wall (not much of a rocket jump really). You turn about 120 degrees towards the wall and fire (+jump or while being midair already), strafe towards the opposite direction (you can press that key already before firing), turn back and start bunnying.

A general note on jumping: You do not need to exactly time subsequent jumps. Just release the jump button and press it again midair and you will jump as soon as you hit the ground.
2009-12-06, 16:03
19 posts

Dec 2009
pattah wrote:
littleomar wrote:

Heh. That reminds me of another basic for RJs, you need rockets!!1! =)

Fluo: If you want to gain horizontal speed only, you might also try to "RJ" off a nearby wall (not much of a rocket jump really). You turn about 120 degrees towards the wall and fire (+jump or while being midair already), strafe towards the opposite direction (you can press that key already before firing), turn back and start bunnying.

A general note on jumping: You do not need to exactly time subsequent jumps. Just release the jump button and press it again midair and you will jump as soon as you hit the ground.

Again, thanks, I don't know if it's normal but I feel a bit uncomfortable with the "midair jump" you mention

Now I'm going to try that "wall jump"
2009-12-10, 14:10
33 posts

Aug 2008
turn 170 degrees left, 25 degrees down, hold +moveright and +movedown, jump and shoot (easier to bind both together), turn 170 back to the original view and release the move keys, all in lightning speed
2009-12-10, 14:43
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
neooffs wrote:
turn 170 degrees left, 25 degrees down, hold +moveright and +movedown, jump and shoot (easier to bind both together), turn 170 back to the original view and release the move keys, all in lightning speed

i use a rocket jump bind, somehting like:

alias +rj "weapon 7; +jump; +fire"
alias -rj "weapon 2; -jump; -fire"
bind mouse5 +rj

somthing like that. it may be incorrect, i dont have quake here
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2009-12-10, 14:56
133 posts

Sep 2007
mushi wrote:
neooffs wrote:

i use a rocket jump bind, somehting like:

alias +rj "weapon 7; +jump; +fire"
alias -rj "weapon 2; -jump; -fire"
bind mouse5 +rj

somthing like that. it may be incorrect, i dont have quake here

Movement scripting! ban ban! Cheat!
2009-12-11, 00:48
News Writer
169 posts

Dec 2007
Binding jump and attack to the same button is not much of a movement script.
2009-12-11, 01:08
357 posts

Nov 2008
And afaik it is allowed (I use it too)
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2009-12-11, 06:51
133 posts

Sep 2007
I wasn't very serious either, coz it's obvious this isn't forbidden else mushi wouldn't post it here. He ain't an idiot
But! If it's up to me I would ban any form of movement scripting. Personally I don't use any. Such a script is skillless and thus not interesting imo.
2009-12-11, 09:09
793 posts

Feb 2006
how about we ban it? i don't like it either.
2009-12-11, 10:00
485 posts

Feb 2006
If it was banned you could just bind two keys next to each other to press at the same time.
2009-12-11, 10:33
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
if we should ban everything that ppl didnt like then we would have to ban quite a lot of stuff now wouldnt we?

losing
tb3
cmt-maps
episode maps
a number of players, admins and developers
etc etc

8)
Chosen
2009-12-11, 11:39
271 posts

Feb 2006
actually, most tourneys ban losing... perhaps not always the first time, but lose more than once and you're out of the tourney!

Fuhquake added a rotate command, thus, aim down and use:
impulse 7; rotate 180; +attack; wait; rotate 180; -attack
doesn't work with all rulesets, for that you'll need practise if you want to still do it.
moo
2009-12-11, 11:41
793 posts

Feb 2006
Kalma wrote:
If it was banned you could just bind two keys next to each other to press at the same time.

why, yes that's exactly the way the unscripted way would work. one button for jump, one button for fire. skill required to press both at the same time. the way it should be.
2009-12-11, 13:03
133 posts

Sep 2007
Hooraytio wrote:
if we should ban everything that ppl didnt like then we would have to ban quite a lot of stuff now wouldnt we?

losing
tb3
cmt-maps
episode maps
a number of players, admins and developers
etc etc

8)

heh.

Fact is that rj scripts are banned in leagues. smackdown ruleset etc. I'm a total noob at scripts so personally I don't even see the difference between rj scripts and what mushi wrote down. To me it's exactly the same. Sometimes I wonder why I try making all these rj's while I can just make a bind in my cfg?
2009-12-11, 13:10
357 posts

Nov 2008
Kwibus: RocketJump scripts aim for you.

Tbh, stop whining about this i used to bind jump+shot in two keys like z+x, but then, i started making team binds, and so i need more buttons free to talk with my teammates, so i decided to bind jump and fire for rj's at the same button, saving one key for a teamsay bind.
2009-12-11, 13:17
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Typical definition of "RJ script" is (was) moving your POV (viewing-aiming angle) in an automated fashion. Mushi's script does not perform such a thing.
2009-12-11, 13:48
793 posts

Feb 2006
i agree, "+jump; +fire" isn't hardly the same as kfjump or similar scripts.

but try this: aim down at your feet and try to hit fire and jump at the same time. do the same with both commands binded to the same key. in 4 out of 5 trys you will gain more height with the 'scripted' version. it's very much automated and it certainly helps a lot with rj's especially for players that don't have very good manual control/timing.
2009-12-11, 14:01
357 posts

Nov 2008
dEus: To do that, i bound x to fire and z to jump, besides my normal fire and jump button, just for rocket jumping. And i can do exactly the same. It's really easy to press both buttons at the same time. But as i explained up, i prefer saving one button for teambinds
2009-12-11, 14:12
793 posts

Feb 2006
time! wrote:
dEus: To do that, i bound x to fire and z to jump, besides my normal fire and jump button, just for rocket jumping. And i can do exactly the same. It's really easy to press both buttons at the same time. But as i explained up, i prefer saving one button for teambinds

i don't agree and even if it doesn't make a difference to you for some reason (maybe you're just really good with timing these buttons, i don't know) that doesn't mean that's true for everyone. to prove my point here's a very quick, crappy demo i just made on my laptop (no mouse etc..).
http://www.box.net/shared/ud0kscbc6f
2009-12-11, 14:36
459 posts

Mar 2008
Hmm. I will deffo start using this. Its not more cheat than binding one button to choose a weapon and then fire it is it? Should bring more consistency to my rjumps as well.
  46 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page