User panel stuff on forum
  19 posts on 1 page  1
Rookies' Corner
2009-12-03, 10:37
19 posts

Dec 2009
Hello everyone, my name is Marco and I live in Italy. I've just started playing Quakeworld although I've been playing the Quake (and Doom) series since day one. I've been playing a lot of Quake 3 Arena and Quake Live, so my Quakeworld skills are horrible (I'm really slow at the moment). Coming from Q3, I've a lot of doubts and I don't feel comfortable with various server commands\modes yet and I still have to build my own cfg, so I'm fresh meat
I've decided to start training myself seriously, so any advice\match is welcome, as soon as I can learn something.

See you around
2009-12-03, 11:07
39 posts

Jan 2006
irc.quakenet.org
#qwrookie

and
http://challenge-tv.com/demos
will help you
2009-12-03, 11:41
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Hello Fluo and welcome to the Quakeworld.nu forum!

The first thing you probably might want to get used to is the movement in Quakeworld, to quickly be able to make your way around the maps. For this i recommend spending some time on big maps like Speed and e4m3 to learn bunnyjumping. You also want to learn the most common jumps on the maps that are played the most, inspiration for this can either be gathered by watching real games between good players or by browsing tricks.quakeworld.nu (or download all demos on the entire site at once). It's probably a good idea to combine practicing movement with learning the layout and item placements on the popular maps.

The movement you probably practice best on your own for starters, but as you get more and more used to it, you should start using it in-game. To get adjusted to the pace of modern Quakeworld i also suggest that you start playing free for all on the most popular server quake.xs4all.nl. The skill level on that server can be very varied, so don't get discouraged if you lose big sometimes, because you will probably excel quickly if you just keep going.

I think the main areas to focus on for a player coming from Q3/QL are learning the maps, item respawn times, weapon damages, movement and strategies of the common maps and QW overall. You'll soon learn that position probably can be much more important in QW than in QL as it's easier to kill a freshly spawned player and weapons to more damage overall.

Don't hesitate to ask on IRC or in this forum if you have any questions. We have the Strategies & Tactics department for such discussions when you start having questions about your own game when you've played for some time.

Good luck!
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2009-12-03, 13:51
19 posts

Dec 2009
Thanks for the warm welcome and for the advices, I'll definitely play FFA until I get used to the speed and I'll find out the respawn times!

Thanks again and see you around
2009-12-03, 14:42
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
welcome Fluo! good luck and see you around.
Join us on discord.quake.world
2009-12-03, 14:49
19 posts

Dec 2009
Thanks! I've just seen some Duel videos, it's amazing I'll do my best to achieve the "less-noob" status
2009-12-03, 14:52
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
I'm starting a little "live commentary" thing designed to be an instructive tool for extreme beginners, to try and show what an average player is thinking in realtime while he is playing. Here is a test vs a bot, I want to do this with better FPS and vs humans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yocRYEureAQ
2009-12-03, 15:10
19 posts

Dec 2009
I've just watched your live commentary. Great idea, very istructive for a fresh beginner, keep it up. I hope you solve your problems with fraps.
2009-12-03, 18:20
462 posts

Jan 2006
I think you can probably give a more in depth commentary from a demo. Playing at the same time is too distracting.
2009-12-03, 20:11
19 posts

Dec 2009
Yes but it wouldn't give the same feeling. Even if he's distracted he can explain what mental processes needs a duel.
2009-12-03, 20:46
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
blAze wrote:
I think you can probably give a more in depth commentary from a demo. Playing at the same time is too distracting.

The whole idea is not to do in-depth commentary, but to give a glimpse at some kind of "instinct" that a player is going through in real time.

I got the whole idea from kingscrusher -- this guy does both in-depth analysis of various chess games not in real time, and also a live commentary of his own for-fun games in real time.

Incidentally, his live commentary channel is a lot more popular, probably because people are able to understand the easier analysis better, and probably because it is more spectacular as he is commentating under pressure
2009-12-03, 20:55
19 posts

Dec 2009
I used to follow kingscrusher Your idea is awesome, call if you need a dummy to crush!
2009-12-04, 02:55
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
I like the idea alot phil!

But show us something more interesting! It's quite easy to learn how to lock down a map - it's harder to break a lockdown!! : ))

That could be interesting and definetly educational! Avoiding spawnrapes and regaining control - usually something extremely hard to do especially against good players.

Keep doing this stuff tho! Fun to watch!
2009-12-04, 08:19
347 posts

Feb 2006
I think the idea of live commentary is it takes you wherever it takes you. Sometimes it's interesting, sometimes not. Of course it'll be quite a bit harder to break a lock when you have to commentate at the same time. I predict the commentary will go silent in those intense moments.
2009-12-04, 12:00
462 posts

Jan 2006
Chess is a bit different from Quake. I only brought this up because to me that concept didn't seem to work very well. Good luck anyway.
2009-12-04, 14:20
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
Its definitely not for everyone. Advanced (and even average) players are not the target market
2009-12-05, 17:56
28 posts

Nov 2009
!phil wrote:
I'm starting a little "live commentary" thing designed to be an instructive tool for extreme beginners, to try and show what an average player is thinking in realtime while he is playing. Here is a test vs a bot, I want to do this with better FPS and vs humans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yocRYEureAQ

Is this video available to download somewhere? I can't watch it properly on youtube :/ .
2009-12-05, 19:07
705 posts

Feb 2006
lulzera, use youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yocRYEureAQ
and then watch it with MPlayer. should be enough with a 300mhz PC.
2009-12-10, 12:56
28 posts

Nov 2009
ruskie wrote:
lulzera, use youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yocRYEureAQ
and then watch it with MPlayer. should be enough with a 300mhz PC.

Thanks, will try that.
  19 posts on 1 page  1