User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Off Topic
2009-11-03, 22:15
99 posts

Feb 2006
Hi,

I've recently discovered some errors with my computer. Every time i turn if off, it has to "rest" for about 30-60min. before its possible to turn it on again (it starts, but screen is just blank). Perhaps the power supply?

The other problem i have is when im trying to play a new game with nice graphics (wolfenstein, dragon age which my computer clearly can support) it works for about 5 mins, then when every time like a screen appears in-game (e.g inventory, quest or w/e) the computer freezes, and the screen becomes all bugged out. Ofcourse now i have to reboot, and wait for about 30-60 min for it to start again. It _kinda_ looks like this. Im on a GeForce 8800 GTS 512.

I dont know if these are linked somehow, but it would be nice if someone could help me out!

Thanks in advance, ciao

edit: this does not affect QW, just games with better graphics. The picture demonstrates ~how it looks in the games that crash
2009-11-03, 22:19
459 posts

Mar 2008
Sounds like a GPU or CPU problem to me. You're not overclocking any of them? Probably stupid question, but some people have issues with the GPU overheating if not limiting the FPS in QW, so you do have a maxfps set?
2009-11-03, 22:22
99 posts

Feb 2006
No im not overclocking anything that i know of. But as u said its probably a overheating problem.
2009-11-03, 22:39
85 posts

May 2007
Try opening your case and clean it inside from the dust. Give your GFX card also a nice cleaning (gently vacuuming for example). Before that, download Gpu-Z http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1665/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.3.6.html and check for GPU temperatures. Anything near 100 Celcius isn't good.
Str8 Outta Ritoniemi!
2009-11-04, 08:55
569 posts

Feb 2006
mawe wrote:
Hi,

I've recently discovered some errors with my computer. Every time i turn if off, it has to "rest" for about 30-60min. before its possible to turn it on again (it starts, but screen is just blank).

I got this part of your the problem, (and maybe only 1/4th of the times I power it on, usually i just put it in sleep mode, so no big problem).

However instead of waiting 30-60 min, if I unplug power to the PC+monitor and the VGA cable, insert them again and power-on it usually works fine. Probably not all of those steps is needed and perhaps a MB BIOS update or whatever would do the trick.
2009-11-04, 09:55
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
... and wear a red hat at the same time as you are chewing bubble gum and listening to rosa helikopter with peaches
Chosen
  6 posts on 1 page  1