User panel stuff on forum
  10 posts on 1 page  1
Ownage
2009-10-25, 23:08
6 posts

Mar 2008
With an inference of DOS attacks on players during tonights ownage matches there was suggestion that players should avoid IRC during official games. Perhaps the use of hidden hostnames is a viable alternative, even for regular IRC use, with one solution provided for free by the Q-bot service:

From http://forums.quakenet.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=1988 (fixed the Q commands)

We'll start this week by revisiting the registration process.

To register with Q, type "/msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org HELLO <your@email> <your@email>". You need to type your email address twice to make sure you have typed it correctly. Your account name will be your nick at the time you say hello. You should only ever need to register once. Note that you may need to change your nickname (with the /NICK command) if the account name you want is already taken, or if your nickname contains special characters which are not allowed in account names (for example: `~^[]{}|_\).

Q will send an email containing your new account details. We advise you read this email carefully as it contains important information about protecting your account.

You can now change your password to something more memorable (but please, not easily guessable), by using "/msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org NEWPASS oldpassword newpassword newpassword". You need to repeat your new password so we are sure you have typed it correctly.

You will need to "auth" with Q each time you reconnect to the network in order to use your account by using "/msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org AUTH registerednick password" and set "/mode yourircnick +x" before entering any channels.

Hopefully this is free from errors and helps somewhat. GL in the LB
2009-10-25, 23:10
793 posts

Feb 2006
i find that hard to believe to say the least.
2009-10-25, 23:17
News Writer
436 posts

Jan 2006
#ownage.qw allows only authed users now
2009-10-26, 01:52
705 posts

Feb 2006
This is very true. I've talked to the perpetrator in /msg and he seems fairly regretful of what's he has done after a while, and he offered to "maybe" host a qw-server as a peace-offering. He probably won't come back but if he does we might have to come up with a plan B.
2009-10-26, 02:21
1329 posts

Apr 2006
ruskie wrote:
This is very true. I've talked to the perpetrator in /msg and he seems fairly regretful of what's he has done after a while, and he offered to "maybe" host a qw-server as a peace-offering. He probably won't come back but if he does we might have to come up with a plan B.

No. Report him to the authorities instead as a "warm thanks" for what he's done.
Servers: Troopers
2009-10-26, 02:26
117 posts

Jan 2006
"and he seems fairly regretful of what's he has done after a while, and he offered to "maybe" host a qw-server as a peace-offering."

This is the funniest thing I've ever read.

If he does come back, you should tell him to stick his server where the sun don't shine. I don't suppose you would tell us who did it.. a permaban on all servers should be the minimum.

DDoS'ing is so fucking low, it's really sad that this could even happen in QW. He wasn't regretful enough to stop fucking with bps's connection even after the game had finished.

/bed
2009-10-26, 02:45
705 posts

Feb 2006
I've reported him already.
2009-10-26, 05:24
252 posts

Dec 2006
The end is nigh
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all