Advanced Configuration
2011-11-20, 22:46
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Corleone wrote:
dimman wrote:
Corleone wrote:

I installed it but my windows 7 is still laging. Lowest ping I can get is 30-40 plus some PL can anybody help? Any of above methods doesn't work! I'm using windows 7 ultimate.

Thats probably because of your ISP then, and not "lag spikes".

Well possibly because my broadband but I don't think so as it is 20mb fast so that should be enough to get decent ping? Such as 10-20. Lowest I can get now is 30-40 + PL so I'm lagging a lot. I think problem is in settings of probably Win7 + plus antivirus + tune up utilities.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit Ultimate + NOD32 + TuneUpUtilities. Game booster doesn't help either. Anybody?

Your bandwidth (20Mbit) doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your ping and pl. It might just be your ISP that has crappy routing, just like Dimman wrote. One thing to rule that possibility out is to get another PC and ping the same server addresses with it in Windows and see if it gives the same result (a PC without Win7 and antivirus etc).
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2011-11-21, 01:44
4 posts

Sep 2011
Ake Vader wrote:
Corleone wrote:
dimman wrote:

Thats probably because of your ISP then, and not "lag spikes".

Well possibly because my broadband but I don't think so as it is 20mb fast so that should be enough to get decent ping? Such as 10-20. Lowest I can get now is 30-40 + PL so I'm lagging a lot. I think problem is in settings of probably Win7 + plus antivirus + tune up utilities.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit Ultimate + NOD32 + TuneUpUtilities. Game booster doesn't help either. Anybody?

Your bandwidth (20Mbit) doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your ping and pl. It might just be your ISP that has crappy routing, just like Dimman wrote. One thing to rule that possibility out is to get another PC and ping the same server addresses with it in Windows and see if it gives the same result (a PC without Win7 and antivirus etc).

Well yeah it could be true. Thanks for help and I'll try my gfs laptop later on.
2017-02-25, 18:43
11 posts

Mar 2015
Disabling Multimedia Class Scheduler in Services.msc also disables my Windows Audio.
Doing the registry thing first then doing a restart didn't work for me either. Glad I backed up my registry key!
I wouldn't recommend deleting registry keys, or disabling Multimedia Class Scheduler.

Alternatively,
1. http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/Smooth_Quake
2. Read section about "CPU spikes" it contains a link to Process Explorer and FileMon.
3. Run them both. Watch for spikes.
4. Run->cmd->ping -t <quakeserver> to see lag spikes in real-time, then look for spiking programs in Process Explorer or FilMon(Procmon).
5. Run->msconfig to safely disable spiking programs at startup.

The article is about CPU spikes not lag spikes, but you can still search for lagging programs using the above.
  33 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page