User panel stuff on forum
  128 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page
LAN tournaments
2010-01-01, 22:05
47 posts

Mar 2006
1tsinen wrote:
Jfyi to the Qh crew, we will be there sometime during the morning tomorrow (2.1.10). Can you please post a time when you will be there so we can throw in our things and stuff so we know somewhat how much time we will try to spend during the morning/day. If I don't remember wrong there's "public computers with internet" on the ferry for a couple of euros, so I guess we'll try to check this forum out 21cet or later tonight (if it's possible).
And yes I know it says you can get in "all day" but just want to be sure if people are alive at 8 or 11

(I'll pickup Medar @ ~14cet so I guess if there's an answer before that we can read it then aswell)

We will be there from 11.00. My phone number is +46-707252313 in case you need to call me...

See you tomorrow! =)
2010-01-05, 12:55
23 posts

Aug 2009
Is it just me or this seems to be the most pathetic QHLAN ever ? at least the 1on1 player's pool is crap

Sorry for harsh terms, no offence intended to those players attending, but it's just not enough for spectacular games (which was the reason I longed for this qhlan).
2010-01-05, 13:24
1435 posts

Jan 2006
While I have to somewhat agree, I think the finals may be quite spectacular as the "new" players like LocKtar or bps have very enjoyable fast and smooth pace of the play. However finals can (and usually do) turn into campfest and I'm afraid in this department they can't compare to dag&griffin.
2010-01-05, 14:10
23 posts

Aug 2009
Locktar and Bps are OK players. but it seem they didn't have any competition ! i.e. bps only lost a map, if I saw correctly on the QHLAN site (didn't checked up on Lokki as I was sure he'll sweep through).
2010-01-05, 14:13
569 posts

Feb 2006
i won vs locktar dm6. It was gg.
2010-01-05, 14:25
23 posts

Aug 2009
Lokki I AM VERY DISS-A-POINTED !!!

gratz willgurht... please post demos on chtv especially if it was a nice game
2010-01-05, 14:39
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
I think both DH and QHLAN needs a lot more hype around it a good while before it's time to go there if more people are gonna show up. A lot of cred to the crew for still going strong though, i myself would probably have given up by now...
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2010-01-05, 15:31
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
NoobyWanKenooby wrote:
gratz willgurht... please post demos on chtv especially if it was a nice game

-We can't as CHTV upload is not working, and phil don't have access no more.

Ake Vader wrote:
I think both DH and QHLAN needs a lot more hype around it a good while before it's time to go there if more people are gonna show up. A lot of cred to the crew for still going strong though, i myself would probably have given up by now...

Yeah, but the thing is, neither the DH or the QHLAN crew can force people to show up. In the end it's up to the players to create the hype and decide on going.

I'll agree that preparations for this QHLAN were bad, but the QHLAN crew are busy people, and it was kinda a last minute solution (October) to go on with the lan. But except for the missing hype around it, I can't find a valid reason for people not to attend, except if it's a money or school issue?

If different dates would fit people better (I know it would for me at least), I'm sure that the crew can be persuaded to switch.

But regarding lan tournaments in general, the players signing up for DH and coming here to QHLAN for the past couple of years, are really what we have to do with in QuakeWorld, I can understand excuses for this QHLAN, but other recent QHLAN's have been better prepared, and it were still the same people showing up.

So if "spectators" want their favorite player on lan, they should know who to bug about it.

And regarding getting QuakeWorld out to more people, the non-qw spectators, both online and offline doesn't care about some oldschool dude who quit in 2005. They are amazed by the top players that we actually do have.

I agree it could all be so much better, but so could the online tournaments, and just take a look at Phil's invitational 2on2 tournament, it's not like QW players are more committed online.

But never the less, I've had fun here at QHLAN13 - Our scene has many fun and interesting people and I would definitely have missed out on some great moments had I stayed home. So all in all, "lack of top players" included, I'm still satisfied with this QHLAN and glad that i decided to go.
2010-01-05, 16:34
518 posts

Jan 2006
Here are some points from disapointment when I went to qhlan10
The area (2 seperated halls, barely saw the other side).
Freezing cold no heating. How the fuck can you play with cold hands.
Bad tourney planning
Laggy internet
Bad organisation with prizes, the one who woke up first got to pick all the best prizes.

Here are some reasons what could attract more people.
I think holding the lan during a big 4on4 tourney will make it alot more attractive for clans to attend. The lan+league crew can work together on this. (1on1/2on2 tourney for qhlan) (running eql playoff games during lan eql/nqr)
Big screen with commentators on the big matches
One big area with all players together and with heating!
Decent connection so people are not limited to play on lan servers only.
QTV
Live Cams to get some real life images from the venue
Good website
2010-01-05, 16:51
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Yea qhlan live cams, I used to be a big addict on that, for a few qhlans I watched it from the very beginning ... "OMG, there's some first quaker with his pc!!"
2010-01-05, 17:18
386 posts

Apr 2006
I think most people can agree that the main problem with attendance is the date. Personally, I would have been there if it was even a few days later, and would have dragged along at least one of my clanmates too, but even then it's still in the middle of winter in Sweden in a freezing cold venue. Trying to play quake with cold hands is like trying to play the flute with your feet. The summer is also a bad time for it due to the summer idle, but mid-spring typically sees the highest qw activity so maybe that would be a better time for future ones? Hell, I'd even attend one this spring, given enough notice.

Obviously we don't have any right to make demands since the QHLAN crew are putting tremendous amounts of effort and time (and probably their own cash) into a non-profit event specifically for qwers with prizes and trophies, but it's still horribly disappointing to the ever-increasing number of us who can't/won't attend for date/weather reasons. :/
2010-01-05, 18:05
67 posts

Jan 2006
This time we have a nice venue with one big hall thats not cold.
The tournaments is going on like they should. (Zalon)
We have comentatorn
We have bigscreen.
We have good food at the venue.
We do have a good homepage but it has to be up more than 2weeks before the lan....
The only thing we miss is a decent connection. But i gues thats up to where the lan i hold.
But where the fuck is the quakers?
2010-01-05, 18:20
518 posts

Jan 2006
way2late with date and place information.

Ticket price went up to 3x normal price and there are no proper flight times available so have to rent a extra hotel also.

zero is whining that its still cold in there.
2010-01-05, 18:34
100 posts

Mar 2008
exams... upload some pictures
2010-01-05, 19:00
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Zalon wrote:
I can't find a valid reason for people not to attend, except if it's a money or school issue?

With that comment you are stepping on a lot of toes.

What you have to realize is the fact that the scene is growing older (according to the latest poll) and one of the facts that come with age is that you have less time for fooling around playing games. People get jobs, married, children, whatever.

People usually play QW for fun even if while some people might get it a bit more serious about it. This doesn't mean one would have to be married with QW and join every event possible (dh, qhlan, tournaments) even if they had the time and the money. You see, QW is just a computer game and nothing more, therefore any reason is valid enough (even if it's "I'm not interested".
Servers: Troopers
2010-01-06, 07:40
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
murdoc wrote:
Here are some points from disapointment when I went to qhlan10

Now I don't know how it was at QHLAN10, my first QHLAN was QHLAN11. But atleast for those lans, I can't recognize much of the issues you mention.

Also I should say that I'm not officially in the crew - I just run the tournaments.

murdoc wrote:
The area (2 seperated halls, barely saw the other side).

The 3 QHLAN's that I have attended have been in big halls with just 1 area for the QuakeWorld players.

murdoc wrote:
Freezing cold no heating. How the fuck can you play with cold hands.

At QHLAN11 it was nice and warm, the hall was in the center of a large building, at QHLAN12 it was in a sports hall and it got kind of cold when more people went to sleep. This time it's been cold during the night, but there are heaters on, however it's -25 degrees outside?!

murdoc wrote:
Bad tourney planning

Since I've been running the tournaments at the QHLAN's that I've attended, I won't judge on this. But I will mention that all finals at each LAN have been scheduled and played in times suitable for home spectators.

murdoc wrote:
Laggy internet

At QHLAN11 there we're a dedicated 1gbps connection, and at QHLAN12 there was a 100mbit dedicated connection - However this year there was a 100mbit connection as well, but it was going through a tunnel to a guy who lives close by (to get around school firewall). It was still good online for the most part, and not really an issue as we had lan servers and fewer players.

murdoc wrote:
Bad organisation with prizes, the one who woke up first got to pick all the best prizes.

At all 3 QHLAN's that I've attended and helped out at, we have had a prize ceremony after the last finals, were cash prizes and the warzon trophy have been handed out.

Then to the ideas

murdoc wrote:
I think holding the lan during a big 4on4 tourney will make it alot more attractive for clans to attend. The lan+league crew can work together on this. (1on1/2on2 tourney for qhlan) (running eql playoff games during lan eql/nqr)

This is a good idea, especially the part about having it while a large 4on4 league is active. Unfortunately the online leagues and most of the online clans are very inconsistent when it comes to dates and scheduling.

murdoc wrote:
Big screen with commentators on the big matches

I would have expected that to be at the previous QHLAN's as well, but at least for the past 3, we've had a dedicated area for spectating, had live streams and on location commentators for all important playoff matches.
-There should be both pictures and demo packs from this

murdoc wrote:
One big area with all players together and with heating!

This is a bit harder, as the LAN has been "homeless" for the past couple of years, so it's basically about "what is available", but I havn't found it too cold to play at any of the lans I've attended.

murdoc wrote:
Decent connection so people are not limited to play on lan servers only.

I thought all QHLAN's had good connections? - It's sweden ffs

murdoc wrote:
QTV

Been at all QHLAN's since it was released

murdoc wrote:
Live Cams to get some real life images from the venue

Thats a good idea, we should have that again.

murdoc wrote:
Good website

That would be awesome!

murdoc wrote:
zero is whining that its still cold in there.

heh, those hungarians... They were setting right under the heating vent

Renzo wrote:
With that comment you are stepping on a lot of toes.

What you have to realize is the fact that the scene is growing older (according to the latest poll) and one of the facts that come with age is that you have less time for fooling around playing games. People get jobs, married, children, whatever.

People usually play QW for fun even if while some people might get it a bit more serious about it. This doesn't mean one would have to be married with QW and join every event possible (dh, qhlan, tournaments) even if they had the time and the money. You see, QW is just a computer game and nothing more, therefore any reason is valid enough (even if it's "I'm not interested".

How can I be stepping on anyones toes with that? I understand that some might have other obligations, but in the end it's all about priorities, if you have the money and the free time. The only factor then is as you said, how you value the game.

I've never complained about players not going, if they are not interested, they are not interested. All I've said, and I've said it multiple times, is that people should stop complaining about "Player X or Player Y is not attending" because if that player, like you said "is not interested" - Then there is no point in being disappointed that he is not attending.

The thing I've been complaining about however, is that people choose to not attend for that reason. They will then say "I wanted to go, I had time to go, I could afford going, but I stayed home because Player X didn't attend" - And then Player X is one of the people who "are not interested".

And don't tell thats not how it is, because for each QHLAN and DreamHack thread we've had - Someone has said exactly that.
2010-01-06, 12:18
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Zalon wrote:
How can I be stepping on anyones toes with that? I understand that some might have other obligations, but in the end it's all about priorities, if you have the money and the free time. The only factor then is as you said, how you value the game.

I've never complained about players not going, if they are not interested, they are not interested. All I've said, and I've said it multiple times, is that people should stop complaining about "Player X or Player Y is not attending" because if that player, like you said "is not interested" - Then there is no point in being disappointed that he is not attending.

The thing I've been complaining about however, is that people choose to not attend for that reason. They will then say "I wanted to go, I had time to go, I could afford going, but I stayed home because Player X didn't attend" - And then Player X is one of the people who "are not interested".

And don't tell thats not how it is, because for each QHLAN and DreamHack thread we've had - Someone has said exactly that.

Since you put it that way, it outlines the issue better.

I won't bother commenting about situations like "I would have come if that player came too", it seems kinda an excuse. However, if they don't want to come, then it's their decision. The part I quoted from your reply really makes going to QH look like an obligatory thing to do, if you are a qw-player.
Servers: Troopers
2010-01-06, 13:33
462 posts

Jan 2006
Stev wrote:
but even then it's still in the middle of winter in Sweden in a freezing cold venue.

Lol, don't they have heating in Sweden. :E
2010-01-06, 21:31
459 posts

Mar 2008
Great LAN, great games, great people. Only thing it lacked was more great people!
2010-01-06, 21:51
67 posts

Jan 2006
I totaly agree.
2010-01-07, 00:34
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Totally agree.
And the hungarians (sitting next row, infront of us) were shouting "A HULI TUT?!" during their games - just awsome! Nice to meet you all guys.

And regarding future events; we (they) have some hot candy coming up for you all, but I won't reveal that now. Week 44 iirc. Keep that week unbooked until further ado
Join us on discord.quake.world
2010-01-07, 09:04
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Could anyone sum up everything from this QHLan? Winners - prizes - warzon trophy winner (and motivation?), pictures perhaps, what happened during the LAN? What did people do?

Please sum it up day by day somehow! Right now theres only scores up from the games and thats about it, but LANs are so much more than just a scoreboard!

/andeh
2010-01-07, 11:56
247 posts

Jan 2006
HEHE wolnybps and locktarszybki are the best things DDDDD did Hungarians shout: ASHTA KURVA ?
2010-01-07, 12:38
569 posts

Feb 2006
Andeh wrote:
Could anyone sum up everything from this QHLan? Winners - prizes - warzon trophy winner (and motivation?), pictures perhaps, what happened during the LAN? What did people do?

Please sum it up day by day somehow! Right now theres only scores up from the games and thats about it, but LANs are so much more than just a scoreboard!

/andeh

I was gonna write more about our mix series, but then ok98 started to win and it was not as much fun to write about
2010-01-07, 14:12
705 posts

Feb 2006
still sick.... well i missed all the finals and playoffs laying around having fever not being able to communicate barghlgkfdöszh
2010-01-07, 17:35
47 posts

Mar 2006
Really good to have this feedback.. some very valid points have been raised. None that are really new to us, but it's good to know what the biggest issues are for you guys.
We've known for a long time there have been things about the qhlans that suck, but it's hard to do any better when we don't have a permanent place to hold the lan (galaxen has been demolished to make room for new apartment buildings), most of the old crew has quit lanning, and I've had a lot of other things to deal with as well... so the standards of the later qhlans been all we've been able to scrape together.
I have an idea for the future which will fix pretty much all of these problems in one swoop. I'll post a new thread about it to get feedback.
2010-01-07, 18:54
386 posts

Apr 2006
Lornelin for president!

blAze: I live in a country where temperatures of -5 have been front-page news for the last two weeks, just ate up 20 minutes of a 30-minute news programme and is being called a "national weather crisis". It is possible that I am making too big a deal of the weather. :<
2010-01-07, 19:53
47 posts

Mar 2006
Stev wrote:
Lornelin for president!

blAze: I live in a country where temperatures of -5 have been front-page news for the last two weeks, just ate up 20 minutes of a 30-minute news programme and is being called a "national weather crisis". It is possible that I am making too big a deal of the weather. :<

<OT> Actually, there is a chance you might get to vote for me (at least Swedish citizens) in the Swedish elections this year. There's an internal voting going on in the Swedish Pirate party right now and if any of you guys are members of the Pirate party already you can vote for me to be put on the list for the national elections... =) </OT>
2010-01-07, 20:12
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Renzo wrote:
However, if they don't want to come, then it's their decision. The part I quoted from your reply really makes going to QH look like an obligatory thing to do, if you are a qw-player.

It's not an obligation if you're a QW player, but if you are one of the guys shouting for more people to go to QHLAN, then you should at least be on the attending list yourself
2010-01-08, 12:37
462 posts

Jan 2006
Stev wrote:

Yeah but I thought Sweden is like Finland where it's -30 outside and +30 inside. I never wear more than shorts and a t-shirt at home. I know Brits don't know how to build houses, so let's not have a lan there during the winter.
  128 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page