User panel stuff on forum
  85 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page
Client Talk
2009-07-12, 07:46
271 posts

Feb 2006
eksy wrote:
anyways quake tenebrae (top screenie) has the best looking q1 screens i ever seen and its still looks like quake.

Not to be rude or anything, but tenebrae reminds me of lego due to the high-gloss plasticy look. So yup, it certainly looks like quake still.

Advertising a fast-paced game that only runs at 20 fps is perhaps not the best way to attract new players, however.
moo
2009-07-12, 08:03
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Thanks for the feedback eksy, you finally explained to me why GL_NEAREST actually CAN be better than linear mipmap. If you have more suggestions, keep them coming. I think we could use some in ezQuake.
2009-07-12, 08:16
1100 posts

Jan 2006
gl_texturemode selection in the menu would be nice indeed. I myself prefer the sharp, crisp, non-blurred world of GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR. But then this is just a config setting and already perfectly possible.

Tenebrae looks so incredibly ugly.
2009-07-12, 11:54
303 posts

Jun 2007
eksy... teneabrae is ugly. Tenebrae is slow. It was never meant to be serious client, it's tech demo that was released to show what new technology could do (when tenebrae was released when bumpmapping in games was still rare, and Doom3 wasn't there yet). Darkplaces have better gfx AND run much faster. If you want to see hi-def quake try darkplaces with this pack: http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1940
2009-07-12, 17:10
6 posts

Jul 2009
About the OT on the marketing campaign: Please, stick with 4on4. Show that quakeworld could be played in other gametypes but still, it's where it excels and also, where it'll have less competition from quake live.
2009-07-12, 18:29
793 posts

Feb 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Thanks for the feedback eksy, you finally explained to me why GL_NEAREST actually CAN be better than linear mipmap. If you have more suggestions, keep them coming. I think we could use some in ezQuake.

http://www.quaddicted.com/software-vs-glquake/software-vs-glquake-texture-filtering/ hope Spirit doesn't mind but it's the best post on the subject i've read- the screens are nice, too.

i actually think nquake is doing a pretty respectable job with keeping the gfx up to date, nquake even has models that are not up on gfx.qw.nu. anyone who wants gfx.qw.nu to be a complete archive of stuff, go ahead and upload it's not like it's a secret how to do that.
nquake doesn't seem to have the w_weps, at least in the osx version? not sure, can't really be arsed to checl atm.
also +11111 for full md3 support.
2009-07-12, 19:06
344 posts

Apr 2007
yeah, I have no complaints what so ever and I think the 24-bit graphics the QRP team have made are phenomenal. not only are they faithful to the amazing original id artists, but they really do bring it into modern times. Esky, why don't you try FTE if you care so much about gfx?

or listen to Herb
2009-07-12, 22:50
357 posts

Mar 2006
eksy wrote:
anyways quake tenebrae (top screenie) has the best looking q1 screens i ever seen and its still looks like quake.

EDIT:
Here's a screen shot of what i'm talking about, from Quake Royale....
http://www.quakeone.com/qrack/quakenormalmap.jpg

I mention the above engine because Rich started with vanilla QuakeWorld when he made his mod. So its fairly simple to see his code path.
And it runs damn fast! This might help the ezQuake team, though GLSL shader implementation might be the best way to go.
2009-07-14, 18:22
12 posts

Jul 2009
As someone who hadn't played QuakeWorld before (just Quake singleplayer and LAN-DM in '96-'97), up to date graphics were the last thing that attracted me. I was impressed by the simplistic, highspeed and skillful gameplay of the dag&def 3 video and the retro feel. Besides, every semi-serious player disables eyecandy features like bumpmapping or HDR in multiplayer modern games anyway. What this game needs is to be fundamentally newbie-friendly: 1. an easy installation (nQ does a great job at that) and 2. an intuitive options menu. EzQuake is on the right path here - i.e. the HUD editor is a great tool -, but the layout isn't very inviting, some of the settings could be explained better and there are still a handful of settings that can only be edited through the console (i.e. the slider will only go to 40xx max after you played around with the drawdistance once). This website (forum+wiki) is a great resource for getting answers and the people seem very helpful, but I can imagine that a lot of casual new players can't even be bothered to skim through the manual.
2009-07-15, 03:29
357 posts

Mar 2006
I think back to when Quake came out, everything was even keel. The game ran as was, and the players all played pretty much under the same circumstances.
I understand the uneasy feeling of new players get in; trying to configure settings to catch up the the current crowd. And this is what has been lost, since those early days. :|
Maybe we can make it easier to join the game, but after that it's up to you.
2009-07-15, 04:14
73 posts

Jul 2008
nvm
2009-07-21, 12:05
347 posts

Feb 2006
It appears Duke Nukem 3D has better graphics than Quake these days.
2009-07-21, 13:57
344 posts

Apr 2007
raz0 wrote:

"holycow!"
2009-07-21, 15:21
344 posts

Apr 2007
in all honesty though, that eduke32 engine is unstable and has unnecessary lag that happens. plus the md2 models they use react late to shots, thus their animations delay a bit. still great work in progress nonetheless.
2009-08-07, 12:19
685 posts

Jul 2007
Look, some people will always keep comparing an old game to the latest, most shiny looking thing, like Crysis. So even though you can make improvements (according to some), for the outsiders it still looks shitty. And Counterstrike 1.6 was a good example indeed.
2009-08-07, 14:12
685 posts

Jul 2007
BTW: FTE qw does have bumpmapping, md3 support and a ton of other stuff, so ... use that then.
2009-08-07, 16:58
370 posts

Mar 2008
If you want better graphics, there are lots of texture packs to choose from. You just have to find the right one .
2009-08-07, 17:10
357 posts

Nov 2008
eksy: quake tenebrae runs quakeworld =O
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2009-08-12, 21:35
126 posts

Oct 2006
eksy is trollin you guys :X
2009-08-12, 23:20
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
raz0 wrote:

GODIS! wrote:
eksy is trollin you guys :X

IMO raz0's the one trolling here, that duke nukem clip just made me love QW even more. Not much progress there except for some "nice" lightning effects. DN3D Vanilla looks better. Sorry I'm off topic here, just had to get it out. Please continue.
Join us on discord.quake.world
2009-08-12, 23:54
347 posts

Feb 2006
bps wrote:
IMO raz0's the one trolling here, that duke nukem clip just made me love QW even more. Not much progress there except for some "nice" lightning effects. DN3D Vanilla looks better. Sorry I'm off topic here, just had to get it out. Please continue.

I don't see how I'm trolling. I am merely showing a video of the current state-of-the-art in Duke Nukem graphics. I am not even conveying any opinion about whether it's good or bad. I just wanted to show what is happening in our "cousin community". Clearly they're using much more advanced rendering techniques than what's used in ezQuake. Also, it's much more than just lighting effects. They have, just like QW, a complete high-resolution faithful texture pack (also displayed in the video) which I think looks really good. The Q2 models they use for the monsters are not the best though, but let's consider: they started off with only sprites! Overall that's quite impressive stuff, if you ask me. Also note that this video is showing off *single-player* gameplay. But it's true: not much has happened in Duke Nukem world of multiplayer advances. They still don't have a real client-server architecture (at least not in the most widely used port - eduke32) where you can join mid-game. That pretty much sucks. On the other hand: Duke Nukem never really was a big online multiplayer hit and I don't even know if teamplay is possible except for cooperative. They don't really have any DM maps, so go figure.

Another community which has come very far is the Doom community. You should take a look at skulltag some time. They have a really impressive multiplayer experience. It's also super easy to play mods online, which people then do. I've played a fair amount of Ghouls vs Humans, which is really fun. The graphics are not very impressive though. It's still pretty much Doom graphics, which means sprites all over.

So.. those are two examples of very different approaches to take on a port. No one is saying you can't do both though, and I think ezQuake takes a little of both. It has good multiplayer and decent graphics.
2009-08-14, 04:26
357 posts

Mar 2006
Maybe nQuake should be a blanket graphical installation and let the user decide the client. FTE, DARKPLACES, or EZQuake..?
If ezquake doesnt have bump mapping or normal mapping or realtime shadow volumes etc. then I think someone shouldn't NOT use the media provided by nQuake just because it defaults to ezq, as well, nQuake should look to add "normals", "bump", "gloss" for all textures. ie the thread should be titled 'nQuake should support QW compatible clients, that can utilize better graphical features'.
2009-08-19, 21:06
8 posts

Apr 2006
<3 QW

(Edited 2013-01-21, 07:33)
2009-08-19, 21:45
357 posts

Nov 2008
Quote:
It doesn't seem to know what "genre" it should be. Is it futuristic, fantasy, medieval, what?

i think is based in lovecraft fantastic world/atmosphere, isnt it?
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2009-08-19, 23:07
370 posts

Mar 2008
If you want better graphics you can use different texture sets. There's a lot around especially on the shub-hub. I am currently using the Rygels texture pack that is used for the Darkplaces engine. One of the major reasons I chose a Rygel pack is because it is %100 complete.
  85 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page