User panel stuff on forum
  30 posts on 1 page  1
Off Topic
2009-04-18, 05:38
252 posts

Dec 2006
http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1681527 They mention qw a bit, it could be a good opportunity to indoctrinate, proselytise, propagandise, and be ministers of public enlightenment. Heil die Quakewerld Reich !

edit: Heres another one that could use some intercession http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1682628#pid1682628
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2009-04-18, 20:31
119 posts

Sep 2007
they're(and me when i played) about as protective of cpm as we are of qw so, largely futile
2009-04-19, 10:22
312 posts

Feb 2006
What's with the fetish to get QW public? It's not like 500 people are suddenly going to start the game if they see stories or videos of it somewhere. The game is not really that good
2009-04-19, 11:40
793 posts

Feb 2006
yes it is!

edit: show me a better one.
2009-04-20, 16:50
685 posts

Jul 2007
It is good, but only if you're interested in a fast, brutal, no mercy type of deathmatch game with extreme steep learning curve.
2009-04-20, 20:28
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Well who isn't?
2009-04-20, 21:06
685 posts

Jul 2007
Zalon wrote:
Well who isn't?

the majority
2009-04-20, 21:09
793 posts

Feb 2006
oh please. it's not some impossible hardcore, secret-society, only-for-freaks game. show me a better multiplayer fps. there isn't one.

edit: get some friends to play with or find players of your skill level. there goes the 'steep learnign curve'.
2009-04-20, 23:51
386 posts

Apr 2006
We don't have any friends. We spent our formative years solely learning to play qw like all real men! RA is the only friend we need.
2009-04-21, 00:35
252 posts

Dec 2006
megalodon wrote:
Zalon wrote:
Well who isn't?

the majority

Oh please! you make it sound like they even know or considered it... Yes the puny, futile drone-gamers are out there, and sadly perhaps they make up the majority (of the majority), but I dare say there are many, that need to be given the opportunity to experience what it's really about.
[i]'i shoulda won all
2009-04-21, 12:16
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
megalodon wrote:
Zalon wrote:
Well who isn't?

the majority

Well we're not interested in the majority, as the majority is no-skilled teens who, if they find a game too hard either quit it before even trying, or starts cheating.

All newer games are easy, some might be hard to master fully, but for the most part - they are easy. You can try it yourself, join any CS:S/COD4/TF2 server and tell me if you feel owned? Even vs top players you'll still have a good chance at getting in some kills.

The people we are interested in, are already gamers, they have used years to master their gaming skills in either Q2/Q3/CPM/w$w/UT or similar. Those are the people who do not quit after losing one game, and thats the kind of people who are visiting ESReality.

And even if we can't get them to play qw, we still have a good chance at getting them to follow the scene/spectate games.
2009-04-21, 13:41
793 posts

Feb 2006
i disagree. quakeworld wasn't just for already-pro gamers when i started playing. a nice thing was that there weren't many different games to choose from so we had a huge playerbase with players of all skill levels. noobs galore. of course today the playerbase is tiny compared to the 90's but that doesn't mean the game has changed, only our way of playing it has.

you can still get some friends and get a noobish ffa on some kenya map going and have a lot of fun. or play ctf, tf, ca, future vs fantasy, whatever. all mods that don't require high-skilled players to be enjoyable.

the only gamemode that you won't enjoy very much as a noob is going on irc and asking random people for a duel. chances are you will only find players much better than you. that, or joining one of the wargamez mixes.

the perfection of quakeworld doesn't mean that it's more elite or less approachable than other games. it's just perfect with regards to it's gameplay- speed, weapons, the maps and (above all) physics.
it's also the most versatile fps (game, really) i know with all it's mods, maps and gamemodes. there's something for literally every kind of player in qw so i don't see how it should be appealing only to some minority. i know i didn't consider myself a minority when i got hooked on quake over 10 years ago.
2009-04-21, 16:44
357 posts

Nov 2008
My question is: can new players become good (i mean really good) kinda div ~1?
If your answer is 'Yes, they can', then answer me, how long will take aprox?
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2009-04-21, 17:59
357 posts

Nov 2008
http://challenge-tv.com/demos/view/28814
2009-04-22, 04:47
252 posts

Dec 2006
time! wrote:
http://challenge-tv.com/demos/view/28814

2001 CPL, quakeworld duel:

1st- harlsom, $5000

2nd - core, $3000

3rd - czm, $2000

4th - fiend, $1500

5th - xoque, $1200

6th - fatal1ty, $1000

7th - zero4, $800

8th - rix, $500

And as the folklore goes: Harl: 'for prac for cpl, spice came around to my place and we lanned nonstop for like 2 days straight. then i played reload, an extremely rusty reload, after 2 days of hard gaming. and he raped me'
[i]'i shoulda won all
2009-04-22, 05:16
569 posts

Feb 2006
time! wrote:

If you mean div1 by 4on4 standards. The most recent climbers are some of the russians, riosatiy and fog. Took them (2?) years of on and of playing. Phrenic, Murdoc and dragon did the same climb in 2004-2005.

If it was about duels (that is much easier to put a lot of time into), I think a top cs/q3 player would be able to beat 50% of qwdl div-0 players if there was enough money on stake and the current active qw-players for some reason did not up their skill for this money game. (Just look at fox from pre-quaddammage tournament pracs).

Note that some of the recent climbers in the duel divisions are usually very strong on aero/ztn.

Up until 2003 or so, the random duel games that today takes place on aero, was played on dm4. The larger map-pool makes climbing divisions easier. Jon or focu will still propably win most players on dm4, but atleast the ztn-russians will be able to win one map in a bo3.
2009-04-22, 05:25
9 posts

Jun 2006
Zalon wrote:
All newer games are easy, some might be hard to master fully, but for the most part - they are easy. You can try it yourself, join any CS:S/COD4/TF2 server and tell me if you feel owned? Even vs top players you'll still have a good chance at getting in some kills.

I've always put this down to my quake background.
2009-04-22, 10:21
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
clawunf wrote:
Time, look at fatality, that he can compete with most of the players in any game, despite the players he plays against having so many years playing that particularly game. Every thing that you do, requires time and dedication. So if you set your mind into becoming a really good player, then you will. Watching alot of demos and practicing alot.

Unfortunately not everyone has the same amount of time that Fatal1ty has :/

But that guy really needs to make a comeback soon, he hasn't played pro circuit since what? 2006, Quake4 CPL?
-Even in 2008 when all the big names made a comeback for Quake3 in ESWC. Then again... there is no money in 1v1 fps games anymore.

I guess he will just keep doing Fatal1ty Shootouts in Quake4 on dm17 - pwning n00bs while setting new world records or doing quake hero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v4RyrEWjJ4&fmt=18)

But I would love to see him do a comeback in QuakeLive, if there is gonna be any major tournaments, AGP Tour maybe?
-Dunno if he still stands a chance vs top players tho.
2009-04-22, 14:03
793 posts

Feb 2006
time! wrote:

if your #1 goal is to to win some matches (if that's your idea of 'really good') i would suggest to pick a map as your home map and practice that map exclusively. preferably pick a map that is *not* part of tbX but somewhat underplayed but still good. something like ultrav or pkeg or whatever. it shouldn't take you more than a few months to compete with div1 players on that map. if you put in some effort that is.

on the other hand i don't think it's a realistic goal to become 'really good' (aka win) on maps like dm4 in a matter of weeks. the difference to someone who has been playing dm4 for a decade is too big. there jsut is no way and it's not very fun to try either. guys like kingpin are a good example even though his homemap aerowalk is considered a 'classic' nowadays.

there are many, many maps out there i would pick one that is fun to play instead of grinding on dm4 for months to try and catch up with players that are years ahead of me.

the more fun you have the easier it is to become better imo.

edit: soon you will be like wooo!!1 too.
2009-04-22, 14:27
188 posts

May 2007
God I always thought he is a moron, but this...
2009-04-22, 14:36
401 posts

Mar 2006
nix wrote:

Nah that was funny shit man. I lol'd.
2009-04-22, 16:24
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
time! wrote:

I'd say a year for a person who has played FPS on a high level before. Those are the people who takes the time to analyze and improve what they're doing wrong. It doesn't matter if you spend thousands of hours playing QW if you don't consider your decisions, strategies and whatever.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2009-04-23, 08:26
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
nix wrote:

He is a moron for expressing passion for something he uses 8 hours each day practicing?
2009-04-23, 09:09
357 posts

Nov 2008
Lol, if being a rich by gaming only is be a moron, i want be a moron too!
2009-04-23, 13:35
685 posts

Jul 2007
time! wrote:
Lol, if being a rich by gaming only is be a moron, i want be a moron too!

Really? Because pro-gaming might not be as fun as you think. Basicly, being a competitor is a tough road with lot's of envy and frustration. On top of that, is the money really that good in comparison with other jobs you could have? And what if you can't make much money with playing QW, are you willing to play games you don't even like to get your cash?

Personally, I'm often in the dilemma of this 'getting good' stuff... In my heart I know I should be a CREATOR (probably a musician) so I'd actually ADD something to the world and don't have to beat somebody else to get what I want (and keep him from getting what he wants). This is why I'd never go for pro level gaming, even though it's cool to watch.

But when I am in a 'playing Quake phase' (I've quit numerous times) I do want to be good enough to at least be able to do something when I join a ffa server. In the beginning, actually not too long ago, I could only spawn and die on xs4all and that's not fun. I've also had moments that made me type horrible comments to other human beings that I'd normally never do, so you could say in 'losing' moments it brought out the worst in me.

To be div0 skill, it seems to me you're trading your life for being insanely good in a game. I know this sounds harsh, but give me one example of a div0 pro level gamer that has achieved anything else worthwhile in his life that is not related to gaming. And that's what I mean, you'd have to sacrifice so much other more meaningful things that you could do and learn in life.

Right now I work part-time as a 'freelance' media-manager and actually have the time to get 'good' at QW, but I also know that I shouldn't spent too much time on it and it would be even better if I quit QW for good. But quitting for good is something I haven't been able to do.

So right now I just play enough to be able to make some kills and have some fun, without focussing too much on being the best I can be.
2009-04-23, 19:06
188 posts

May 2007
Zalon wrote:
nix wrote:

He is a moron for expressing passion for something he uses 8 hours each day practicing?

He is not a moron FOR expression passion. He is a moron for HOW he is expression his passion + several other things... (83.6 gazillion world champion titels in 27 billion different games)
2009-04-23, 19:41
357 posts

Nov 2008
Megalodon: Yes, im willing to play 4 win cash! who not? if you really like the game, u should like competitive games, and if they get money to you, whats wrong?
Actually, youre strange, you always quit and comeback O.o
2009-04-23, 20:42
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
time! wrote:
Megalodon: Yes, im willing to play 4 win cash! who not? if you really like the game, u should like competitive games, and if they get money to you, whats wrong?
Actually, youre strange, you always quit and comeback O.o

If you have the possibility, time, skills and opportunity (enough money at stake) to do so then sure. With the current state of E-sports though (like 0,00001% of players actually can make a living of it) i'm sure the time could be invested in a more sound way, for example by getting an education or making a career, while being able to choose how dedicated you want to be to the game.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2009-04-23, 21:21
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
megalodon wrote:
Really? Because pro-gaming might not be as fun as you think. Basicly, being a competitor is a tough road with lot's of envy and frustration. On top of that, is the money really that good in comparison with other jobs you could have? And what if you can't make much money with playing QW, are you willing to play games you don't even like to get your cash?

Or you could do as Fatal1ty get good at some games fast! Then when you are famous enough, wait for someone who wants to use your brand, and get rich
-Then use your new found time on playing the games that you like, and travel the world while you attend expos.

And btw, it's possible to earn a living playing pc games, you just have to choose the right game, SC/WC3 is a good choice, CS is a bit worse, as you have to be in one of the top clans to even get home $2000 /month.

megalodon wrote:
To be div0 skill, it seems to me you're trading your life for being insanely good in a game. I know this sounds harsh, but give me one example of a div0 pro level gamer that has achieved anything else worthwhile in his life that is not related to gaming. And that's what I mean, you'd have to sacrifice so much other more meaningful things that you could do and learn in life.

ParadokS is living of poker now, i would call that an achievement outside of gaming Bps is a full-time webdesigner, i guess a lot of the tVS guys is still in college, but i bet they are gonna do well, as i remember they have been in school forever

I would think that i use the same amount of time on qw, if not more, as a div0 player does. And yet i still have a fulltime job, and in 2 years i'll be done with my 5 years eduction.

megalodon wrote:
Right now I work part-time as a 'freelance' media-manager and actually have the time to get 'good' at QW, but I also know that I shouldn't spent too much time on it and it would be even better if I quit QW for good. But quitting for good is something I haven't been able to do.

Why would it be better for you to quit something you enjoy? If you mean in relation to getting a "work career" or something else, then i think the list of things to quit is a lot longer than just quake.
-Dating, partying, sports. Hell, if you want time, never get a girlfriend!

megalodon wrote:
So right now I just play enough to be able to make some kills and have some fun, without focussing too much on being the best I can be.

And thats exactly the reason why you should play, because you find it fun.
2009-04-24, 08:53
685 posts

Jul 2007
Poker is still a 'game', Zalon

And in my story I was basicly refering to have a more meaningful existence from a sprititual point of view. In my opinion, someone who has lot's of material possessions and money isn't necessarily having a meaningful existence per se, especially when he wouldn't go to his job if it wasn't for the money. Especially when such a person fills the rest of his time with playing games. I'm also talking about myself here, I'm not just judging others or mean to insult anyone.

So I agree that, if you play, you should play for fun, but what if you feel you should be doing something else, but can't have time for both playing quake and that other, more meaningful thing you'd like to do? To me, it seems as a choice since it's freaking hard and time consuming to get to be a good musician (in my case) AND a decent quaker. On top of that, there's the physical stress I can feel when I do too much with my wrists.

Anyway, I'm 33 y/o, 34 in october, and I'm really thinking about this kind of stuff. And instead of just referring to my own life, I think humanity as a whole isn't evolving as they probably should. Being glued to your monitor is a kind of limited existence if you ask me. If you take a serious look at how life in modern society is develloping and what kind of powerhungry morons are running this show, then you might agree with me that there's something seriously wrong here.

But I guess I'm talking about this stuff on the wrong forum here, especially if you look at the topic title
  30 posts on 1 page  1