User panel stuff on forum
  12 posts on 1 page  1
Team Fortress
2009-04-08, 14:19
12 posts

Dec 2007
Yes, the name is a blatant rip on Quake Live, but anyways..

Here is a little project I've been working on using FTE's new browser support thanks to Spike (see this thread). Simply put: This is Team Fortress in a browser. In my infinite range of attempts to revive some semblance of an online quake TF community, I believe this one may actually stand somewhat of a chance if I can get it to catch on in browser-based gaming communities, or those looking for an easy way to play QWTF again.

Instructions:
1) You need windows and Firefox/Opera (no IE or Nix support yet)
2) Go to the website here
3) Click the plugin => Manual Install => Download File => Tell Windows to open it with Firefox
4) Restart browser. Play.

Right now I'm looking to find bugs and glitches, so any input besides the expected "why waste your time blah blah" rabble would be much appreciated. Thanks! =)
2009-04-08, 14:36
116 posts

Mar 2008
got any pictures?
2009-04-08, 15:00
705 posts

Feb 2006
tried it in a virtualbox xp image, seemed to work fine other than that the image didn't get properly focused in the middle
2009-04-08, 15:03
156 posts

Mar 2006
I just tested it - good job, works really well! But ermm... what about the legal aspect? I mean you let people play Quake for free - without the usual pak0/pak1 issues.
Also, is there perhaps a way to be a little restrictive about what commands people are able to use? Because once you're connected you can basically do whatever you want, just like with a real client. And it would be a shame if people used your site not to play TF but to just wander off to another server or use it to spec regular deathmatch games while at work or something.

And hats off to Spike. FTE for teh win!
2009-04-08, 15:28
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
very nice work there!!
2009-04-08, 16:05
271 posts

Feb 2006
soma wrote:
I just tested it - good job, works really well! But ermm... what about the legal aspect? I mean you let people play Quake for free - without the usual pak0/pak1 issues.

The plugin downloads what it is told to download, assuming you do not already have it.
The plugin itself is legal, but can be used in violation of copyright, yes.
If the plugin is told to use a game of q1 q2 or q3, the plugin looks for existing content (via windows registry). And if it finds any, it'll use that as a base directory (all write access is performed inside the user's home directory). But quake didn't have a proper installer, so this info is not readily available.
Currently it will attempt to run anyway even if downloads fail.
Content is downloaded from servers using the same rules that id implemented. The exception is that the plugin will run even without pak1 (unlike regular quake) as this is required for stuff like nexuiz.
Paranoid admins running FTE servers can set allow_download_pakcontents 0 and no id models or sounds will be downloadable. But yes, there is the legal issue of id textures in custom maps, for instance.
Hopefully this plugin will encourage the development of a complete set of free stuff.
The TF community have custom models/gfx/sounds for everything bar the player model. There is always openquartz. Packaging is up to the server admin.

This plugin is in no way less legal than running full versions of FTE or DP without data files, or ezQuake/fuhquake/etc (although these demand at least the feely available demo), and downloading from the servers.
Assuming sites do not link the registered pak file.
Its just easier.

Quote:
Also, is there perhaps a way to be a little restrictive about what commands people are able to use? Because once you're connected you can basically do whatever you want, just like with a real client. And it would be a shame if people used your site not to play TF but to just wander off to another server or use it to spec regular deathmatch games while at work or something.

I'm not sure how disadvantageous that is yet. It may even be a feature of the site (I'd like to add scripting support, so sites could maybe collect stats/etc).
And yes, the server browser is active inside the plugin.

@ruskie:
avirox's site sizes the plugin to be 1024*768. The default size is only 640*480.
I've no real idea how to shrink the plugin on the page (other than with javascript).
The rendered part will downsize if the plugin is too small, but will clamp to the full size if you set large width/height values. Fullscreen mode works as normal, except the cvar is named vid_fullscreen_embed (as the default is certainly intended to be windowed). You should be able to use the video menu to resize it.

Opera users: the plugin on the site named above is distributed in a firefox-specific xpi file for slightly easier installation for those users. Basically its a zip. Rename it and extract the dll inside to your opera/plugins directory and it should work in opera too.
(win32)Safari: I've no idea about (win32) safari. Presumably the same idea as opera.
Google Chrome: Presumably the same. But I'm not sure if plugin support is fully implemented yet. As far as I'm aware, Chrome doesn't fully support the entire API. So you may need a dev build. The plugin doesn't interact with the browser too exotically so it ought to work, if you know how to enable it, which I do not.
Linux: Coming soon, eventually, maybe.
Internet Explorer: lol. just lol. You can get an ActiveX plugin from somewhere which can wrap calls. Presumably this would work, but I've not tried it, so can't help configure the wrapper. The API is noticeably different. Expect a linux/bsd port first.

Gah, wall of text! Run! Flee!
moo
2009-04-08, 16:53
344 posts

Apr 2007
soma wrote:

And hats off to Spike. FTE for teh win!

there will be legal replacements now, pak0.pak is already provided for nquake..so that will probably be used. also, the server will have DOX TF models.
2009-04-08, 17:11
357 posts

Nov 2008
Very nice work guys thx for all, now i only need learn to config that ftw ^.^
Btw the client also works fine ot connect qw servers (quakeworld serverbrowser?)
I only find some fail when doing vid_restart by console:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6619/fte00002.jpg
Hope you can fix it or tell me what im doing wrong...
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2009-04-08, 17:20
271 posts

Feb 2006
time!: looks like bloom is somehow failing.
Will look into that.
if r_bloom 0 fixes it then that's what the issue was.
Toggling some other bloom cvars might fix it too.
moo
2009-04-08, 22:31
125 posts

Jan 2008
I actually think speccing from browser is more interesting than playing.
for the sole purpose of people whos not into qw to be able to watch game easy/being able to spectate games from computers that does not have qw installed.
2009-04-08, 22:38
793 posts

Feb 2006
this is very impressive!
2009-09-12, 22:39
41 posts

Aug 2007
any developments?
  12 posts on 1 page  1