User panel stuff on forum
  5 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2009-03-30, 19:06
116 posts

Mar 2008
anyone know what causes overflowing in quakeworld?

seems to be totally random.

probably comes down to and issue with the client not reporting info correctly to server.

it could be just issue with thunderwalker ctf mod too.

Thunderwalker Revival Project
http://twctf.org

MVDSV 0.28

Thunderwalker CTF mod

Here is what it shows from client

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/jebatzel/ezquake305.jpg

and from MVDSV server console

Quote:
Client BATMAN!]ZFA[ connected
SZ_GetSpace: overflow: cur = 610, len = 946, max = 1450
BATMAN!]ZFA[ overflowed
WARNING: reliable overflow for BATMAN!]ZFA[
Client BATMAN!]ZFA[ removed

other than telling the server to slow done the data is there a fix for this?
2009-03-31, 14:42
685 posts

Jul 2007
Good question. I never really understood these overflow messages either.
2009-04-07, 13:50
116 posts

Mar 2008
I just tested this with fteqw and didn't overflow once, so maybe its a client issue with ezquake.
2009-04-08, 20:27
805 posts

Mar 2006
does it crashes the server?

I used to have some problems with some loops in a mod code, that crashed the server!

I remember one those crashes, where related with buttons check or the lack of it.
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2009-04-08, 20:57
116 posts

Mar 2008
it didn't crash the server

we are using MVDSV 0.28 server

Spike wrote

Quote:
As a work around for some sort of overflow, fteqw caches its client commands and removes duplicate connection commands.
I don't rightly remember why fte does this.
But from your screenshot it doesn't appear to be the case here, but as ezquake doesn't show what its sending to the server, its not possible to tell 100% reliably.

Then again it might be just chance that FTE dodged it (disable high res textures or enable filesystem caching and FTE should connect a little faster).

Quote:
I added the dup connection command removal at around the same time I made fteqwsv no longer flush reliables.

From memory, mvdsv and other legacy servers flush the client's reliable buffer, and start afresh. But it writes directly into the reliables, so has no support from the backbuffers. Hence overflows are possible on the condition that the data is written entirely inside the relevent function in sv_user.c (as that's the only place that doesn't use backbuffers).
This may be the cause of your overflows.

Looks like its the first prespawn client command triggering it.

But I have no idea how FTE clients would be more resilient to this.
I can only think of how fte servers would be better than mvdsv servers, and that really doesn't help you.
Tbh, I do think its a server bug really. Its got to be. I don't even see any lightstyles.
But yeah, no idea why fteqw clients might be more reliable here. Its too long ago since I wrote any code that might relate to this.
  5 posts on 1 page  1