User panel stuff on forum
  53 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
General Discussion
2009-03-19, 11:21
News Writer
275 posts

May 2006
If anyone in here knows who I am then you also know that I have been away from QW for some years. I miss the game and gonna install it again. I also want to play kenya's (i like all maps) and i think they should be included. It's all about fun?

If you dont know who I am: Ask around.

I could run a tournament/league that includes kenyas as well. The last one failed because no one would help out with the web (www.qw4ever.com - ye thats all webskillz i got) You need an ok looking web with someone who knows how to code. What I am good at is organizing a tournament/league.

So if you feel up to it i can give you the specs and we could fire up a project. I guess a lot of kenya's got lost when i left the scene coz no one else bothered to promote them a lot. Well, I am the Mr. Kenya PR dude.

Maps like rf2, rwild, skull, schloss etc are just awesome and a lot of fun.

All it needs are some PR-boosting and ppl will play'em. Ofc not everyone, but enough to make some kind of tournament/league to keep kenya-lovers happy.

...and a BIG HELLO to everyone i know in the qw-scene!

- Link
Link, we are not even oldtimers anymore, we are dinosaurs. - Hooraytio
2009-03-19, 11:37
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Whoa. Link's back!
2009-03-19, 11:41
News Writer
275 posts

May 2006
.....that will depend on if someone is gonna help out

But sure, i'll roam around on servers like a 14-year old fakenicker
2009-03-19, 12:40
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
bps, get to work.
2009-03-19, 12:47
230 posts

Jan 2006
Link wrote:
.....that will depend on if someone is gonna help out

Maybe the guys from the Quakeworld Kenya collective are willing to help out?
2009-03-19, 20:03
173 posts

Jun 2008
Hagge wrote:
and how would the tossing work then? lottery chooses who gets to toss 2 maps?

Don't care about how the tossing works :p In qwdl we use rnd to get first - you could use rnd to choose last. Or use TB7. With dmz1
2009-03-19, 23:20
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Hey Link, long time no see - didn't sound like you were on your way back the last time i talked to you

Cool if you are tho
2009-03-20, 09:27
News Writer
275 posts

May 2006
Well guess what. Some friend of mine told me you could play quake straight out from your browser. Ofc i didnt believe that. Then i typed inn www.quakelive.com and he was right on

So I played some and it was really cool to play again. But it didnt take long before i found out why q3 fucking sucks: The RL and LG are total BS....and the fun was gone. Cant even bunnyjump the way it should be done

Only one way to satisfy that: Qw =)

Im gonna dedicate some evenings to Qw now, so i will be back, for sure.

Give me an automated tournament/league-web plz
2009-03-20, 09:36
News Writer
169 posts

Dec 2007
tried checking out tourney.cc ?
2009-03-20, 11:47
569 posts

Feb 2006
Dont start another league.

Work within qwdl to make it tb7 next season.

Maybe some quick cups on some maps (skull etc..) to make the more known.
2009-03-20, 11:58
1100 posts

Jan 2006
I'd love something with NONE of the tb5 maps. A revival of the Kenya events for example.
2009-03-20, 12:05
793 posts

Feb 2006
agreed, some true kenya cups would be nice.
2009-03-20, 12:19
News Writer
275 posts

May 2006
The best ways to learn a map is FFA. My first thought would be to make a FFA-league like qw4ever was. It worked ok and was a good idea, but lacked a good website...and me doing a poor job. This time it will be better.

You will for sure see maps like cmt1b, cmt2, cmt5b, schloss, midcit, some eXmXtdm maps and others. Maybe also some smaller maps like skull, rwild etc. We will also have maps suggested by players that we put to votes etc. Everything that ppl wanna play. I guess the large maps will have like 12-16 players and the small maps would be like 4-8. Anything goes.

All it needs is a structured league and some dedicated admins.

I dont see any point at all making a FFA-league on familiar maps like TB3. That would bore the shit out of me.
2009-03-20, 17:19
793 posts

Feb 2006
i could help with the admining and some graphic design, not with the web-coding though. of all the recent tourneys ( mixed2on2.tourney.cc quakephil.com/aerowalk qwdl.geeky.cc www.firstinsys.se/swing/kenya/ ) i think i still like the kenya collective site best. also i think molgrum posted here saying he's interesting in admining, maybe he could help with a web site, too?
2009-03-20, 23:54
News Writer
275 posts

May 2006
Really not important for me what site or what name we use

Kenya collective sounds fine and i guess it would be less work using that page.
2009-03-21, 09:03
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Don't steal other ppls threads please.
2009-03-21, 10:27
312 posts

Feb 2006
"Dont start another league.

Work within qwdl to make it tb7 next season."

Hell no. I'm not quite sure why do we need more maps, and if we/you do need them, thrusting them through their throats is not the proper way to do it. People need to learn this shit out of their own will instead of just forcing them to play or alt-tab-idling if theyre not interested
2009-03-21, 11:17
485 posts

Feb 2006
Best way to promote a map is to run a mini tourney on it, imo.
2009-03-25, 10:42
28 posts

Jul 2008
skull would be just great, so as ultrav, lundm1 and doomed.
2009-04-14, 14:09
38 posts

Nov 2006
i would hate to see dm2 go .. from all the official/playoff games ive watched dm2 has been the most exciting map to watch 8 out of 10 times

sure it can get messy / lucky, but everytime a game (preferably decider!) is played on dm2 you know its gonna be spectacular

skull<->ztn i would like though
2009-04-14, 17:42
133 posts

Sep 2007
reppie wrote:
i would hate to see dm2 go .. from all the official/playoff games ive watched dm2 has been the most exciting map to watch 8 out of 10 times

sure it can get messy / lucky, but everytime a game (preferably decider!) is played on dm2 you know its gonna be spectacular

skull<->ztn i would like though

Well the great reppie has spoken, so know we know what to do. Keep dm2 and get rid of ztn....huh.. wtf?! reppie you were my hero

Conclusion after dm2 modify thread and tb5 bla bla thread is that yes dm2 and dm4 suck, but they will stay here forever
Nah j/k every map has people loving them and hating them. Let's just keep them and try to enjoy them.
I will bite my lip everytime I play dm4 against someone who is in control and I finally kill him with 50/50 left and he spawns ra rjs out before i can blink and I die again and spawn at mega/ssg again....
2009-04-18, 09:20
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
riosatiy wrote:
ZTN:
This is just a rape of a really good map.
Who was the idiot that placed megahealth there?..

Erm.... ZTN?
You need to remember that this map dates from 1997 and was not designed purely as a duel map but also for small FFA (which it serves well). Things like bunnyhopping or even proper 'map balancing' probably weren't thought of much at that time either.

I've seen some good official games on ztndm3 despite all the concerns about it being too easy to dominate. Obviously I can't remember the exact games (maybe one involving Gamer a few years ago?) but if you look back at duelmania results you'll probably find some nice close scores and maybe demos worth checking out.

The same applies to dm2. Yes, IMO it is inherently flawed as a duel map (too big and generally too easy to camp/run away). But again I have seen some really tense and exciting games there in big tournaments.

On both of these maps I've seen spectators say "it's over" and then ended up with egg on their faces following a nice bit of skill and comeback from the other player. We like to have this idea that some maps are so flawed that a div1 player can easily reach an unassailable position. But it doesn't always play out that way.

Ultimately, there's no such thing as true 'balance' or 'fairness' in a dmm3 duel. The only way you'll get that is by playing dmm4 on a specially designed map (an open symmetrical level with opposing spawns or similar). Everything else will always have some degree of luck in terms of where players spawn relative to their opponent, although I can see the argument for attempting to minimise the effect of this.

Oh, and I agree with Link (eek!) that FFA is the best way to initially learn custom maps (i.e. get familiar with layout, item location, and spawns), that's how I learnt to play the ztn series, spinev2, androm9 (cmt4), ukcldm2, ukpak2, cmt3, rwild etc (in fact that's how I learnt to play all the DMx maps too!). Obviously you then need to learn some tactics for duel/4v4 but it's a good starting point so you at least know how to get to important items.
2009-04-25, 11:42
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
empezar wrote:
bps, get to work.

w@?
Join us on discord.quake.world
  53 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page