User panel stuff on forum
  24 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2009-01-16, 14:16
8 posts

Jan 2009
I've restarted playing qw , and I do like ezquake a lot, but when I look at some of the screenshots from players, they play completely without textures and everything almost fullbright. In my humble opinion, it comes close to cheating, and honestly it takes away a lot of the suspense of 1v1. Hiding is almost not an option anymore.

Video quality mode Medium should be set as standard for competitions imho. It's true in the earlier years d_mipcap etc was also widespread, but now i believe it's gone overboard, and makes qw less attractive to spectators, for playing teamgames or 1v1, etc.

Just my 2 cents.
2009-01-16, 14:34
793 posts

Feb 2006
hiding hasn't been an option since fullbright skins became legal, i never liked that either. i'm not sure but i think there never was a discussion about this really because it was decided before we got this fine qw.nu forum.
2009-01-16, 14:50
569 posts

Feb 2006
There are quite a few (good) players that use high graphic settings and detailed textures.

Spectators (assuming you mean ingame observers) can have whatever settings they like.
2009-01-16, 15:40
8 posts

Jan 2009
I am not saying there aren't good players with regular settings, but it's obvious that they are at a disadvantage when they have to play somebody who altered almost all textures.. this is common sense. Spectators i meant at a lan party for example.

On a side note, I do believe iniatives such as Quake Live are advisable for 'professional' gaming, since the amount of altering can be strictly limited this way. Wouldn't be a bad idea if ID Software made a similar thing for quakeworld.
2009-01-16, 15:53
793 posts

Feb 2006
for tech support from iD we're what.. about 12 years late?
i'm not sure texture'less' settings are such a big advantage compared to fullbright skins. i heard ppl say that it's harder to measure distances on a monochrome background.
2009-01-16, 15:57
51 posts

Sep 2006
Yeah hiding in dark corners and think that no one will see you doesn't really work well.
Since fullbright skins is accepted in the community and everyone uses them you cant really calll it a cheat?! And its the same with the textures (or lack of), I think its nice that you can customize the game for your own preference.
2009-01-16, 15:59
88 posts

Oct 2006
look who's talking! as if FOV 140 in a screen downsized to about 5x5 cm2, on a P60 was spectator friendly
2009-01-16, 16:22
357 posts

Nov 2008
Quote:
On a side note, I do believe iniatives such as Quake Live are advisable for 'professional' gaming, since the amount of altering can be strictly limited this way.

Go to your QuakeLive account, join a game or make it offline, press ctrl + alt + ~ (for display console) and write r_picmip=15 and then vid_restart... w00t no textures!!
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2009-01-16, 16:31
8 posts

Jan 2009
Jjonez wrote:
look who's talking! as if FOV 140 in a screen downsized to about 5x5 cm2, on a P60 was spectator friendly

that's called a handicap jjonez and shouldn't you be answering your private messages..

@time!: i didn't play quake live as i don't play quake 3, i just assumed options were limited, guess i was wrong.. never mind my remark then..
2009-01-16, 16:39
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
I remember Def made a package that was "optimized for competitive gaming" in various ways. In that package he actually used standard textures with the reasoning that it makes it easier to target your enemy on the ground and calculate the distance or so.

There probably was not very much discussion about these things when they once were allowed, but i guess somewhere along the way to where we are today the Quakeworld platform was in a way standardized and reverting such things would probably do more harm than good - it's all part of the game now. That's why i think every change to the game should be reviewed individually rather than saying "well, feature X is allowed/banned and feature Y is pretty much a similar feature, so why not include/ban that too?".
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2009-01-16, 17:52
386 posts

Apr 2006
zd wrote:
In my humble opinion, it comes close to cheating, and honestly it takes away a lot of the suspense of 1v1. Hiding is almost not an option anymore.

You've just started playing again, and you're telling us the accepted way to play quakeworld (and all other deathmatch games) over the last 10 years for thousands of people is cheating? Cheating as defined by what? It's not against the rules of quake, so it's not cheating. Maybe you think bunny hopping is cheating too? That is a bug, after all.

Just because it's not the way they play cs or cod4 doesn't mean It's against some universal law. qw is nothing like these games, aside from the mouse-driven interface. It's a completely different style of gameplay; One that doesn't revolve around standing in a dark corner.

Anyway, textureless doesn't really give much of an advantage. Maybe it used to, but everything's so sharp and clearly defined now that a player can be picked out in a millisecond. I play with full 24-bit textures and lighting, as do a lot of players, and I've never wandered into a room where a player is within my fov and not seen him.
2009-01-16, 17:52
21 posts

Aug 2007
Playing without textures makes it harder to estimate how fast you are moving, and to know how close you are to the wall, and when the wall will "end" if strafing and shooting rapidly while hiding behind it. Like Ake said, if the enemy is standing on a straight line in the texture it may be easier to align your crosshair to the floor beneath his feet.
2009-01-16, 23:38
252 posts

Dec 2006
Playing with textures is cheat, ban textures imo. [/topic]
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2009-01-17, 04:11
705 posts

Feb 2006
id sponsoring qw today? i lol'd. but oh well i guess we all want to live in the best of worlds =)
2009-01-17, 07:31
357 posts

Mar 2006
gl_picmip 10 is flat textures.
2009-01-17, 10:31
8 posts

Jan 2009
ruskie wrote:
id sponsoring qw today? i lol'd. but oh well i guess we all want to live in the best of worlds =)

i'm just saying if quake live proves very succesfull i wouldn't be surprised if they rehash quakeworld as an updated online for free web browser game.
about the textures, i just saw the in-game pictures without textures, i didn't play with them myself so i had no idea that it made some aspects of the game harder, my bad.
2009-01-17, 10:33
231 posts

Jan 2006
Its all a matter of taste. Imo i find it harder to aim without any textures, and you also loose the "feeling" of the surroundings. I use 22" widescreen with standard textures, and have tried everything from legoquake style to highres textures. Another advantege using standard textures, is that it makes one colored fullbright skins is more visible.

/Jon
2009-01-17, 10:53
705 posts

Feb 2006
not going to happen, ever. sorry.
your reasoning is fine but just no. quake3 outmasses qw in players over 100:1 and quakelive is considered being a gamble for id.
2009-01-17, 11:00
1435 posts

Jan 2006
FB skins are still disabled in TF
2009-01-20, 09:58
8 posts

May 2007
I turn all textures off and play with the option in ez (can't recall it) where you get legoquake. I'm colorblind, so this setting helps me relax my eyes more than with textures on.
2009-01-20, 11:51
231 posts

Jan 2006
tr0ll wrote:
I turn all textures off and play with the option in ez (can't recall it) where you get legoquake. I'm colorblind, so this setting helps me relax my eyes more than with textures on.

gl_externalTextures_bmodels 0
gl_externalTextures_world 0
gl_texturemode gl_nearest
gl_loadlitfiles 0
gl_miptexlevel 3
gl_picmip 0
r_drawflat 0
r_fastsky 1
r_fastturb 0
r_skyname ""

there u go
2009-01-20, 12:34
8 posts

May 2007
Aww, thanks en-tveeeċċċ-treeee JON!

2009-01-22, 09:22
113 posts

Apr 2006
r_drawflat 1 ?

Imo what you are describing is what qw used to be 10 years ago whereas today qw is all about the person controlling the mouse and keyboard and less about "what's allowed" (bar item timers, teamoverlay and aimbots) - fast paced action where there's little hiding to be done where no legal setting can save you =)
biomass
2009-01-23, 04:06
252 posts

Dec 2006
ruskie wrote:
not going to happen, ever. sorry.
your reasoning is fine but just no. quake3 outmasses qw in players over 100:1 and quakelive is considered being a gamble for id.

I think it's about 100:1
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
  24 posts on 1 page  1