User panel stuff on forum
  21 posts on 1 page  1
Rookies' Corner
2009-01-04, 18:40
5 posts

Jan 2009
Hello there QW followers!

I am now after years of playing wow and cs and other crap game tired and tested Qw after seen it some times on my favorit site so decided to dl and play and it is really fun.

Just wanted to say hello and ask a few things:

1. how to join a server if anyone wanna take a duel?

2. how to create a game myself?

3. Any good hint how to get better more then just play and practice?
2009-01-04, 18:45
126 posts

Jun 2007
Get on #qwrookie on quakenet (irc)

You can join any regular server and use the commands :
ready
break
2on2
3on3
etc.

Play play play and watch some demos from chtv (see the bar on top of the site).
2009-01-04, 18:46
357 posts

Nov 2008
hello and welcome dreamhowl!

1. a) type in your console connect (here.the.ip.adress:port), you can look for servers in www.quakeservers.net
b) your ezQuake client have a good server browser so just select the server and join

2. dunno but i thikn is like open your ports and create dedicated

3. lol! dont give up, we know how hard is qw

btw get IRC and join #qwrookies channel in quakenet server
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2009-01-04, 18:49
5 posts

Jan 2009
Hello and thank you for reply, yes i have joined IRC
2009-01-04, 18:52
5 posts

Jan 2009
just one problem i need all maps all play becouse i get error becouse i dont got the map:S
2009-01-04, 19:05
357 posts

Nov 2008
when you join a server the map is autodownloaded to your pc
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2009-01-04, 19:12
51 posts

Sep 2006
You have downloaded nQuake I presume so finding servers in ezQuake inbuilt server browser shouldn't be a problem.

To create your own server download MVDSV and KTX, there is some package on their site, but it looks a little outdated now ( http://qw-dev.net/projects )
And some (looks like alot) maps http://maps.qw-dev.net/
2009-01-04, 20:31
5 posts

Jan 2009
okej really thanks alot
2009-01-04, 23:00
5 posts

Jan 2009
www.rakaka.se ... hehe okej then i understand why there is so many servers
2009-01-04, 23:23
312 posts

Feb 2006
Something for the question 3:

My guess for the most important thing to learn would be knowing where to go, where to shoot, thinking where the enemies are probably at, what do they have, and stuff like that which mostly comes with experience. It's the worst situation when you have to stop and think "what next, what should I do to overcome this situation" and hesitating about it

It would be helpful to know a map, watch demos of the map played by experienced players, and having someone to tell you why are they doing the things they do. You'll learn shitloads of new moves and ways to act in certain situations, though you may need to have some basic understanding of the game first

And also I'm not sure if it's possible to multiple players watch the same demo at the same time and having the possibility to communicate, but it would be a neat way to teach players other aspects of the game than aim.
2009-01-05, 02:10
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
mipa wrote:
And also I'm not sure if it's possible to multiple players watch the same demo at the same time and having the possibility to communicate, but it would be a neat way to teach players other aspects of the game than aim.

You can do that with Qizmo (in some way i can't remember) or with QTV if you use one of the original QTV sites (i.e. not the "meta QTV" site on qtv.quakeworld.nu) and browse the demos there. Use the "demos" link on http://va.telefrag.me:30000 for example, and press the stream icon for a demo. When the demo fired up and you're in Quake you can now alt-tab back to the browser and the demo you are watching will now show up among normal games if you click the "Live" link and anyone should be able to join. I believe chatting in game etc should be working as when spectating a normal game through QTV.

</off topic>
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2009-01-05, 10:32
253 posts

Nov 2007
mipa wrote:
Something for the question 3:

Oh... I had the same idea a half year ago... and I still vote for this
-> http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=39279#p39279
cheat 2 win!
2009-01-05, 13:20
398 posts

Feb 2006
yeah, watching demos is a truely great way to learn.. I think in the beginning it can also be very good to find someone of equal skill to play against, since the gap between the best players and the new ones can be quite big.. ffa is also a good way to learn, the server with most people on is: quake.xs4all.nl but unfortunately it has quite a lot of strange maps atm, but if you don't mind that, then go there a lot of new ppl are playing there so it shouldn't be too hard to get a couple of frags :-)
2009-01-06, 11:15
253 posts

Nov 2007
My receipt was:
-Pov for aim
-oldcrat for aircontrol
-ztricks for movement
-demos for tactics

but perhaps it's a bad receipt, I'm still a rookie
cheat 2 win!
2009-01-06, 11:18
252 posts

Dec 2006
Hello and welcome Dreamhowl.
Quote:
#qwrookies

that's #qwrookie not #qwrookies. It's very important that you have a good config, nQuake comes with a pretty good one but there are ways of fucking up your config by using the ezquake menu. For e.g. the graphics presets do more than they seem, they execute .cfg files that make arbitrary non graphical changes like v_viewheight and cl_roll*. Also you will want to personalise your config.

ezQuake has a great thing called fps independent physics, this decouples your video and input frames per second from the network fps ('tic-rate') of the game (77 tics per second)
. A common error I see is uncapped fps, which results in: full consumption of resources (full CPU if it's the system bottleneck), unstable fps because its going as fast as its able in any situation, and desynchronised video/input fps to network fps. Refer to Renzo's 'Theory of smooth QW'
for more info.

Another common malconfiguration is mismatched vid_conwidth/vid_conheight and resolution ratio, which results in distorted geometry.

Firstly, if you're using an LCD monitor you want to use native resolution (unless its a huge resolution and your pc is underpowered). Because LCDs have physical pixels, anything other than native resolution is a scaled approximation, and will result in inferior image and increased output lag due to the advanced signal processing required to scale the image to non-native resolutions. Determine your native resolution, right click on your desktop space and go to properties>settings and the native resolution should be the highest one available. Check the maximum monitor refresh rate you can use at native res, I think the best you can hope for is 75Hz. Set vid_displayfrequency to the most you can. Note: on lcd there's a bug that forces your colour depth to 16bit if your vid_displayfrequency value fails.

Run ezQuake and enter the following into the console (or change it in the config located at \quake\ezquake\configs\config.cfg):
Example for 1680x1050 native res:
vid_customwidth 1680
vid_customheight 1050
vid_mode -1
vid_conwidth 840;vid_conheight 525
vid_displayfrequency 75
vid_restart
cfg_save

Vid_conwidth and vid_conheight control the size of text and hud images on the screen but they distort the aspect of the pixels if the ratio of vid_conwidth/vid_conheight is other than the ratio of the resolution. The default values are vid_conwidth 680, vid_conheight 480, to suite the default resolution of 680x480, this will have correct geometry for any 4:3 resolution (800x600, 1024x768, etc.) but the best values for 2D elements (text/hud) are simple divisions of your resolution, either full, half, three quarters. So for example: 1024x768 the best con-resolutions are 512x384, 768x576, or 1024x768. (If none of those scales are to your liking you'll have to use fractional sizes of /crosshairsize to correct distortions (e.g. in 1024x768 with conres of 800x600, crosshairsize 1.1 will give you an undistorted crosshair))

The best configuration of mouse input is that which has no acceleration applied to it; that which provides a linear response (the amount of units the cursor moves is dependent only on the physical distance the mouse has traveled. In windows XP (XP Pro SP2 is what I recommmend) there is bug which makes it impossible to remove mouse acceleration through any GUI configuration panel, to remove mouse acceleration you must either: modify the XP mouse driver with this or use Logitech setpoint drivers, or Razor's drivers. Another important aspect is mouse sampling rate, default USB mouse rate is 125Hz (may be higher on 'gaming' mice). The 'USB Mouserate switcher' is used to increase the polling rate to 250Hz/500Hz/1000Hz, 500Hz is the most recommended.

QW movement tutorial
Widescreen guide
QHLan 1on1 final, Reppie vs Mutilator

Sorry if that's too much information
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2009-01-06, 11:51
398 posts

Feb 2006
you are surely crazy foe x)
2009-01-06, 12:25
253 posts

Nov 2007
Runamok.foe wrote:
The best configuration of mouse input is....

oh, a question regarding this...
I just tried to change in_mouse from 1 to 3. but as i have done this my mouse buttons just didn't work except the two big buttons. as i changed back the setting then everything was good again.
I asked after this on IRC too and i got the information that atm there's no solution for my problem, i have to live with in_mouse 1 until the new client release. or i have to use the beta version of it which containes a setting "in_raw_allmouse" or something like that, i don't remember well.
but is it really possible that my mouse can't live with in_mouse 3 in ezquake 1.9.2 ??
i have a razer diamondback
cheat 2 win!
2009-01-06, 16:36
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Quote:
vid_displayfrequency 75

why not 77?
2009-01-06, 17:09
357 posts

Nov 2008
Peppe wrote: