User panel stuff on forum
  8 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2008-12-09, 17:06
137 posts

Sep 2006
Hmm, im thinking of putting together a machine for qw and just use it for this. I seem to always make my quake fuck up after a while so im planning to make an installation cd like defs so i can reinstall without hassle.

I dont know any linux but i have a feeling that it might not change my settings as windows sometimes do.

Is this something to consider? Usually it takes me like 2 full days to get qw running as i want (with some luck) on windows, so im not afraid to spend some time getting linux going if it seems worth trying.

I would like to be able to use both vent, ts and skype.

Or should i just simply make a restore cd for windows with all installed? I want to make something that wont take more then 1 hours to fix when all fuckssup..

suggestions?
2008-12-09, 17:30
705 posts

Feb 2006
Teamspeak and skype works native, ventrilo with wine and their website says a native client is in the works.
if you have no prior experience with linux you might want to skip that.
2008-12-09, 17:52
137 posts

Sep 2006
No, no prior. Just want an ez to restore system only for qw.
2008-12-09, 18:03
705 posts

Feb 2006
it's very easy with linux in that case.
2008-12-09, 18:12
347 posts

Feb 2006
A restore disk for Windows works okay. It will get your system up and running within maybe 15 minutes. After that you of course need to apply updates, which can be fairly time consuming. At the very least you need to apply updates from Windows Update, which, depending on how long ago it is that you made the restore disk, will require one or more reboots. Here you may also opt to update video drivers, mouse drivers, codecs ... and so on. If you do that, the work you need to do after a restore is fairly big, and you'll actually end up doing most of what you need to do anyway, if you had just reinstalled Windows fresh. As I see it, a restore disk is only really worth it if you use it often (like you would in the Windows 9x days, where I used my ghost image like every month). If you only play to use the restore image every half year or less, I don't think it's worth it.

As for Linux, I don't know if there is any restore utility akin to Norton Ghost for it. On the other hand a Linux distro doesn't seem to accumulate crud and become slower like a Windows install does. This is probably mostly because you don't install a lot of crap software on a Linux distro as you would do on a Windows install, but it's worth considering anyway. Still you can keep a Windows install running for a long time too, if you're careful with what you install or just don't install a lot of software/updates.

So to conclude. If you expect to restore often (once every one or two months) by all means, go for Windows + restore disk. If it's less often, Linux will keep it's freshness longer, and you won't need to reinstall at all.
2008-12-09, 18:16
113 posts

Apr 2006
Hej Hoder =)

I'd say give linux a try, if you succeed and is happy with it you will be probably be better off in the long run, it will take more time (reading documentation and getting help from others) though since you have no experience. You can mess up a linux system but not easily as windows if you're a little bit careful.

You can use Clonezilla http://www.clonezilla.org/ to make a copy of your system and it works with Linux and Windows.
biomass
2008-12-09, 20:24
357 posts

Nov 2008
http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3389
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2008-12-10, 14:10
137 posts

Sep 2006
Hi biomass, long time hope to play you soon.

Sounds like ill give linux a try for this.

Thanks for all tips all!
  8 posts on 1 page  1