User panel stuff on forum
  39 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Off Topic
2008-11-20, 00:15
357 posts

Nov 2008
I just tryed nQuake in ubuntu and i get an awsome surprise,...

In winVista i installed brightskins (http://gfx.qwdrama.com/details/149/) and only working armors and backpaks (dunno why)
Ubuntu: All models working perfect (ammo, weapons, health packs, ....)

But the best thing i see is my ping. Like 20~25ms lower than in winvista, in all serers O.o

and btw i feel more smooth gameplay with same config, same client in same PC
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2008-11-20, 00:18
705 posts

Feb 2006
and this is news how?
2008-11-20, 07:31
637 posts

Jan 2006
that's so impossible, the only explanation is that your Vista computer was full of viruses.
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2008-11-20, 08:08
705 posts

Feb 2006
there isn't any antivirus program that can catch 100% of known viruses and there's almost 10k new one made a _day_ so that's not news either.
2008-11-20, 09:57
48 posts

Jul 2006
no news today?
2008-11-20, 10:09
705 posts

Feb 2006
2008-11-20, 13:03
357 posts

Nov 2008
I havent got visues -_-" i think is because windows dont set my ezQuake at 100% perfomance, and btw windows vista waste more resources.
[i can know if i have any suspicious program (virus, troy, ...) by scanning my own ports, and my ports are safe ]
2008-11-20, 13:32
705 posts

Feb 2006
Whine aside, it's most likely not so crappy drivers in linux compared to vista.
2008-11-22, 00:42
252 posts

Dec 2006
when I tried 1.8.3 (i think) on ubuntu 8, I had crap performance and a few bugs, compared to xp pro sp2. I put it down to less use and development of linux version
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2008-11-22, 08:12
1100 posts

Jan 2006
No, that most likely was your graphics card's driver. ATI?
2008-11-22, 12:12
303 posts

Jun 2007
I've tried Ubuntu and Mandriva - on ubuntu i had worse performace compared to win xp, on mandriva it was only slightly better. But i had so many problems with Mandriva i decided to stay away from linux... maybe someday i'll give it second chance.

BTW. I hate the way linux devs try to attract more users to their os. Shiny bling bling themes are not the way. They should make it more user-friendly and easier to work with than windows. And unify standards for all distros, so more commercial software companies would start to think serious about linux.
2008-11-22, 12:38
357 posts

Nov 2008
Linux is not easy, is usefull. You can customize all params. But i thikn the problem is people: very lazy for learn new SOs :/ Is easy to one-click-install, but when you want more, what can you do with windows? nothing!
And btw windows think very seriosly about linux -> unified file system in vista

Your operating system may be different depending of how you use your pc and what you want do.
2008-11-22, 13:44
705 posts

Feb 2006
Herb, That's what lsb is for.
2008-11-22, 14:59
1026 posts

Feb 2006
LSB you say?
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/lsb-cert/productdir.php?by_prod <- lots of out-dated platforms and a grand total of FOUR (4) apps

time! wrote:
..but when you want more, what can you do with windows? nothing!

partly correct: nothing you'd know of.

i hope Ubuntu manages to cvasi-monopolize the Linux brand so that it becomes a viable platform for open & commercial software with proper hardware support.

all this Windows hating for all the wrong reasons is getting Linux nowhere.
god damn hippies >_<
2008-11-22, 15:36
705 posts

Feb 2006
It already is. Look at the phetora of laptops popping out of every big company. And now asus is shipping linux on millions of motherboards a month.
2008-11-22, 15:54
1026 posts

Feb 2006
everyone i know who bought a Linux laptop was because they didn't want to pay for Vista OEM, they just installed their XP copy (be it legal or not) on it after. that's the usual case with these laptops.. let's see if there's a difference in the OS market share in a few months.

a platform is only as good as what’s on it: a console is only as good as its games, just as a data medium is only as good as its ubiquity, just as an operating system is only as good as its applications.
god damn hippies >_<
2008-11-22, 17:48
357 posts

Nov 2008
Hmm i dont hate windows O.o im just using it now, lol but i want to say: I know a loot of things who i can do with linux and can`t with windows because "your windows files are propiety of windows" and the linux files are GNU. All programs open source.
And btw its free! whats the difference betwen "windows office" and "open office"= only the price! ^_^

Difference usages - different SO
2008-12-08, 01:11
45 posts

Aug 2007
time! wrote:
I know a loot of things who i can do with linux and can`t with windows because "your windows files are propiety of windows" and the linux files are GNU. All programs open source.
And btw its free! whats the difference betwen "windows office" and "open office"= only the price! ^_^

Difference usages - different SO

A few remarks:

- Openoffice exists both for Linux AND for Windows
- many of the things (if not virtually ALL) that people speak of are not exclusively Linux, but also exist for Windows
- my Windows XP is in no way any less stable than my Debian SID Linux installation (on the same PC)

I am a Linux fan from the first years of Linux, and most of the time I am under Linux, not Windows.

But I am no Windows hater either. My system may be called the most sophisticated Windows environment you may find north and south.;-)
I have my usual Windows programs, I have Visual Studio for software compiling, I have MinGW running in cygwin to compile from a unix-like environment for Windows. I also use "crosstool" from within cygwin in order to compile software for Linux. I can launch an X server, if I like, I compiled
and modified tons of source code - and all from Windows!!

I compile my own ezquake, be it in Linux or in Windows.
I compile my own quake2, my own quake3/ioquake3, open arena etc... and of course, not just games, but also software in general.

In all fairness, it always appears a bit ridiculous to me when someone tells me that Linux can do so much more. Sure, there are some nice things I really like and that do not exist for Windows, like (real) symbolic links - something I like and use very much. The fact that there are no drive
letters, but mount points you call whatever you like.

On a related note:
ezquake runs better for me when using it under Windows XP than under Linux (where I still have slightly more mouse button lag and/or sound lag; I wrote about this before here).

On the other hand, aprq2 runs better in Linux (my experience).

But I am curious:
Would you name some of the features where Linux is better (in your opinion) than Windows or that you find no substitute for in Windows?

Of course, I am talking about XP here and not that bloated, completely unneeded, Vista.

Regards, sempron
2008-12-08, 01:44
357 posts

Nov 2008
lol i use windows but i only say : my experience in linux = smoother qw. and openoffice, etc.. I mean i like opensource progrmas, i never say windows is better or linux better so i open this thread for see what people think and prefer =)
2008-12-08, 09:33
705 posts

Feb 2006
Aquashark wrote:
everyone i know who bought a Linux laptop was because they didn't want to pay for Vista OEM, they just installed their XP copy (be it legal or not) on it after. that's the usual case with these laptops.. let's see if there's a difference in the OS market share in a few months.

a platform is only as good as what’s on it: a console is only as good as its games, just as a data medium is only as good as its ubiquity, just as an operating system is only as good as its applications.

Also think about those shitload of people who buy/get computers with windows and install linux on them.
2008-12-09, 21:50
1026 posts

Feb 2006
yeah, i'll pretend they exist
god damn hippies >_<
2008-12-10, 00:12
303 posts

Jun 2007
Quote:
Also think about those shitload of people who buy/get computers with windows and install linux on them.

This is simply pointless AND stupid. They pay for os, just to get rid of it and then install free one? Wouldn't it be better/cheaper solution to buy computer without any os, and then install the one you like? Why would anyone want to waste their money in such stupid way? o_O
2008-12-10, 00:58
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Wow, I really like this thread!
To share my experience, I've had(multiple times) fps-drops on quake in windows, be it after an alt-tab or any background stuff going on etc.
But these were all easily solved, restart quake or just shut down what's eating up the power.
On the other hand, while playing quake in ubuntu I've never gotten a more smooth quake, runs perfectly! BUT! I also never got the sound to work, one day of trying to get it working would not solve the problem, sure there are loads of help-forums etc for new linux-users but the one who can answer for quake would be found here, yet the help I recieved has not been enough. A simple matter as using mouse1 and 2 for rocketjumping would result in a mouse3-click instead, firing a gl in my cfg.. not what I planned.

Another "problem" for me was I wanted to use my monitor for it's best, being a fresh 19" CRT I thought it'd be fine to go 1280x1024 @ 85hz immediately, I was proven wrong when the _only_ selectable resolutions were: 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024 all at 60hz. How can be solved? Just like the soundproblem and mousebutton issue, why would these matters be so increadibly hard for me, a real newbie on linux, to fix on my own?
2008-12-10, 02:44
113 posts

Apr 2006
Herb wrote:
Quote:

This is simply pointless AND stupid. They pay for os, just to get rid of it and then install free one? Wouldn't it be better/cheaper solution to buy computer without any os, and then install the one you like? Why would anyone want to waste their money in such stupid way? o_O

Because most major manufacturers do not sell computers without an operating system and they don't offer an alternative to Windows so as a consumer you are toast and can not choose (that's how it used to be anyway).
biomass
2008-12-10, 03:03
113 posts

Apr 2006
Peppe wrote:
A simple matter as using mouse1 and 2 for rocketjumping would result in a mouse3-click instead, firing a gl in my cfg.. not what I planned.

This is called 3-button emulation. Old unix machines used to have 3 mouse buttons and alot of the functionality in X-Windows was built around the 3rd button. When people started running machines that only had 2 mouse buttons they invented the 3-button emulation (which you trigger by pressing button 1 and 2 simultaneously). Usually there's a box to enable/disable during the install or in the mouse settings. But yes, if its turned on and you don't know why it is that way it's annoying and you think something is wrong with your mouse =)

Peppe wrote:
Another "problem" for me was I wanted to use my monitor for it's best, being a fresh 19" CRT I thought it'd be fine to go 1280x1024 @ 85hz immediately, I was proven wrong when the _only_ selectable resolutions were: 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024 all at 60hz. How can be solved? Just like the soundproblem and mousebutton issue, why would these matters be so increadibly hard for me, a real newbie on linux, to fix on my own?

In some areas Linux and the tools used are lacking compared to what's available in Windows and as you discovered some of the things you take for granted in Windows can be very hard if not impossible for a person without the right knowledge in Linux. It does however not sound like an unfixable problem, just have to get the right person to look at it and make a fix. The good thing here is that Linux evolves very rapidly and the things you've mentioned will most likely only get better year after year and if it doesn't satisfy you today, try again in a year or so and see what has happened. The development is open so if you want to submit a bugreport you most likely can. Ever tried submitting a bug to Creative and get it fixed ? =)

Regarding the sound it very much depends on which soundcard you are using, some drivers are lacking and the sound hardware support is not as complete as it is in Windows (since all manufacturers make sure it works for Windows). You might have to change the underlying system from alsa (which I think is the most common one today) to OSS and the support for your card might work better.
biomass
2008-12-10, 08:53
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Peppe: Both the mouse issue and the resolution are related to the xorg.conf. And they both would have been easy to resolve if you went to a Linux forum or IRC (even passively searching the net helps).
2008-12-10, 14:50
637 posts

Jan 2006
I will NEVER install Linux on my computer anymore. I have used it for 2 years exclusively (Slackware) and I know for sure that I am not geek enough to spend my time reading documentation and compiling a new linux core just because it added support for software audio mixing or anything like that. I thought that human was an intelligent being who can easily discriminate things which take their time and things which manage their lives easier. Yet so many fools decide to waste their time in front of the PC screen. Disgusting.
2008-12-10, 17:23
347 posts

Feb 2006
If you used Slackware, basicly you asked for it. Slackware is not for Linux newbies. Actually I fail to see what good it is for at all, but that's besides the point. If you had used a more.. user-friendly distro like Ubuntu or maybe Fedora, you'd probably not had had the same problems. Heck, even Debian is waaaay more user-friendly than Slackware is.
2008-12-10, 17:33
705 posts

Feb 2006
if you don't get your hardware working after 2 years of using linux i guess it's not for you. or anyone for that matter.
luckily the only hardware not working for me was the razor-mouse but it didn't take long for it to work thou.
2008-12-10, 18:18
637 posts

Jan 2006
I managed to get all my hardware running, that's not the point, I'm by no means a computer idiot. I knew stuff, I do coding, it's just a matter of realizing that you waste so much time using Linux.
  39 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page