User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
QuakeWorld Duel League
2008-10-24, 19:33
173 posts

Jun 2008
It seems that some people want to see playoffs.

I havn't chatted to other admins about this so poll results might not dictate what we do anyway - but it would be good to know what opinions are out there ;-)

First - the reason we don't have playoffs in season 1 is simple - I think they suck :p (they do make the season longer for some players and not others).

So playoffs make the season longer - is this a bad thing? Well I think so because it means that some/lots of players will have nothing to do other than spectate. If we do have playoffs, I would suggest that they have a fixed date at the end of the season - so playoffs happen on sat/sun - no show, no win. They add an extra element of luck - I hate the way, that in rugby at least, a team can finish 4th and win the division. On the other hand, they do add a bit of excitement so maye this is a good thing.

The whole idea behind QWDL was/is to have a round robin system, so what would be the point of adding a knockout element when we already have lots of duel knockout tourneys?

Mushi had the idea of the player in 7th place plays the player in 3rd of the div below for the right to stay up - this would certainly add some excitement - at the end of the season, a bunch of players would fight for direct promotion/demotion.

/end jibber

O btw, all divs will almost certainly have 10 players next season.
2008-10-26, 11:03
312 posts

Feb 2006
yes for playoffs from a spectators point of view. there's just not the same glamour to a tournament without a season highlight, which would be hot finals. or if people are keen on making the real life sports event comparisons, run a knock-out cup alongside the season as in soccer - perhaps in which div4 and better would join afterwards so it wouldnt take so long or something
2008-10-26, 12:13
18 posts

Aug 2008
Grump wrote:
The whole idea behind QWDL was/is to have a round robin system, so what would be the point of adding a knockout element when we already have lots of duel knockout tourneys?

mipa wrote:
there's just not the same glamour to a tournament without a season highlight, which would be hot finals.

I actually agree with both these quotes, so my solution is quite simple:
Have playoffs only for Div Zero. They have nothing to lose/gain anyway besides a title, as they can not be promoted to a higher div.
This way we:

1. Keep the "fairness" of a league system grump was talking about, for pretty much whole league, with a minor exception of the fight for the big title :/

2. We get that QWDL glamor with a season highlight that mipa was talking about. Let's face it, big exciting games with many specs (100+ even), commentary and pre-coverage (predictions and all that crap) are only div0 games. So we get 2-3 of those super highlights and very tensing games each season that unite us all with popcorn in our hands.

I also got to discuss this with some people throughout the league, and they all pretty much agreed.

/Jew out.
2008-11-14, 19:26
173 posts

Jun 2008
Season is ending soon so - *bump*
2008-11-14, 20:17
569 posts

Feb 2006
semis and finals for div0 top4. After all the top players in another div get promotion, so top div0 should also have some fun. That would also mean there is something going on during the break
2008-11-14, 21:08
793 posts

Feb 2006
good idea! the best players provide the half-time show.
  6 posts on 1 page  1