User panel stuff on forum
  15 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2006-03-11, 22:58
6 posts

Mar 2006
Hey all,

After searching Google for what seems like forever, I'm finally going to throw the question out there:

Is there a version of Quake for the Mac that will allow me to view MVDs...?

I find it hilarious that I'm running MVDSV on a Linux server, connecting to the server with the Mac client ported by fruitz-of-dojo.de, and I have to watch the MVDs within ezQuake on a Windows machine. There's gotta be an easier way...

Thanks muchly,

E.
2006-03-12, 01:01
139 posts

Jan 2006
there is an test release of an ezquake port for mac.. grab here
since i never made it run on my mac ( here some infos ) i use an mac zquake client from oldman.. that one lets me watch mvds too.
but actually the url to where i dl it doesnt work anymore... maybe someone here around knows a working one..
http://www.egozelle.com/stuff/qw_sig.jpg
2006-03-12, 02:02
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
something you might seriously wish to consider also is upgrading to a PC.
2006-03-12, 02:31
447 posts

Jan 2006
Isn't it difficult to play Quake with just one mouse button? And I've always wondered, what happens when you aim at the enemy? Lemme guess, a popup window asks "Do you need help to kill this enemy?" [NO] "Are you sure?" [YES] "Ok then, have fun. But always remember, I'm here to help you! (Watch out, computers are EVIL and DANGEROUS!)"

... Yes, I'm tired.
Teamplay is nothing. Aim is everything. OBEY YOUR AIM

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9017/end2ub.jpg
2006-03-12, 09:57
171 posts

Jan 2006
Yeah ui, like there are no mice with 2 buttons (or more) that works with mac!!!
2006-03-12, 12:26
1011 posts

Feb 2006
nice to see two useless and ill-informed replies by people who aren't even attempting to answer the original question posed in the thread...

the current ezquake mac port has some linking problems. I keep meaning to fix them but havn't had any free time recently and I'm waiting for my macbook to arrive so I can compile faster I uploaded a binary ezquake-gl.mac which may or may not work out of the box for you. 24bit won't work in that version though...

if you get both the SDL runtime and development libraries from here and do a checkout of zquake cvs...

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/zquake login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/zquake co -P zquake

then you should be able to compile a working mac version using the developer tools

if this is too complicated, I can probably post a binary some time this week...
2006-03-12, 12:41
447 posts

Jan 2006
apa: Of course there are multi button mice that work with macs. But making them work with the mac users is another matter...
Teamplay is nothing. Aim is everything. OBEY YOUR AIM

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9017/end2ub.jpg
2006-03-12, 13:39
139 posts

Jan 2006
i just plugged in my old mx500 into my g5 at work the days... and woa, it just worked with the logitech mac drivers... every single button.. omfg!
http://www.egozelle.com/stuff/qw_sig.jpg
2006-03-12, 16:27
6 posts

Mar 2006
Nylon and Oldman:
Thanks a lot for all your help with this. I initially tried the "ezquake-gl.mac" binary a few days ago, and it compiled alright (thanks to the posts I've found all over the internet courtesy of Oldman), yet it wouldn't play the MVDs. However, I just compiled the zQuake GL client, and it works like a charm, and even plays the MVDs! Thanks a lot dudes!

As for the rest of you jokers, I suspected I might get some typical anti-Mac responses from the Windows monkeys. I bet you all can't wait for the release of Windows Vista, eh? Not only will it have blue screens of death, but there will also be red screens of death, for the real *critical* errors. Personally, I find it funny that Microsoft is including some code to analyze the error to display the proper colour, instead of just ensuring that their operating system is stable... but then again, this is Microsoft we're talking about. ;-)

E.
2006-03-14, 05:38
58 posts

Feb 2006
dirtbox wrote:
something you might seriously wish to consider also is upgrading to a PC.

yer dirtbox...but that would be downgrading, especially now. i am very envious of oldman's intel-based macbook....i bet it will run software zquake soooo smoooooothly with the different endian algorithms. i think i will obtain one in the fall!
finem respice
2006-03-14, 12:05
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
why dont we all use linux instead?
2006-03-14, 16:00
58 posts

Feb 2006
sassa wrote:
why dont we all use linux instead?

Linux? Why if one wants to use a Unix-like OS, then use the highest quality code available: OpenBSD!

If you wish, you might be interested in this .avi, which is an interview regarding OpenBSD.

http://www.eurobsd.org/20060310/robtv2006.avi
finem respice
2008-11-11, 07:37
10 posts

May 2008
Thread resurrection!

I can't run any MVD demos from Challenge-TV on the latest version of ezQuake for the mac. None. Zippo. Every single one gives a "can't open" error, then dumps me to the console again.

Strangely, the MVD demos that come with the nQuake configuration work fine. WTF? Could it be that ezQuake is not recognizing the file types somehow?

It seems really silly to me that every single other command in the mac version of ezQuake works perfectly, but demos are borked.
2008-11-11, 10:07
705 posts

Feb 2006
'highest quality code available' you don't have any idea how many angles I can attack that.
2008-11-11, 17:37
344 posts

Nov 2006
I just tried playing duel_fifi_vs_locktar[dm2]091108-2223.mvd with the latest code from SVN and it was working fine
  15 posts on 1 page  1