User panel stuff on forum
  10 posts on 1 page  1
Other Tournaments
2008-10-10, 07:30
14 posts

May 2008
Yo!

I made a Mixed 2on2 CUP for the finnish QW-scene about 5 years ago. Winners of the "first" season was Fix and Rampage.
This time I will accept players from all countries.

The idea of this CUP is as that all the players sign up as individuals and the teams will be made by lottery for every round of the CUP. You may end up playing with a different pair every round of the CUP.

I am hoping for 64 sign ups. There will be Winners and Losers brackets so that everyone will be able to play two games atleast. If I can´t get 64 sign ups, i will accept the first 32.

Map pool will consist of DM2, DM4, DM6, Aerowalk and ZTNDM3 with powerups ON (edited for the audiences request) and dmm3. Basically all the rules from the QWDL(tm) apply for this CUP too. I think the community is aware of the rules so that I don´t have to write them down again. The map selection goes as in QWDL too.

The sign up will end 19.10.2008 23CET

Couple of more admins more would be much appriciated. You may contact me at irc on channel #mixed2on2

Sorry for my bad English and typos!

http://mixed2on2.tourney.cc/
2008-10-10, 08:12
569 posts

Feb 2006
no pups on dm4 dm6

it's against the law!
2008-10-10, 08:33
14 posts

May 2008
Rules are same for everyone. If i remember correctly season 1 had powerups ON in all three maps (aero and ztndm3 was not included then). Maybe I am an outlaw then
2008-10-10, 11:15
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
good idea luckyshot
2008-10-10, 16:21
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
yea, nice!

This deserves to be on the news.
But imo, you need to classify players somehow (divisions). if u put div1 with a rookie, certainly that wont be as much fun as it could. because the div1 will try to play ffa to stand a chance, as well as the rookie. and you can say "ah, its good for the rookie to team with a much more experienced player", its true but its more a lie than truth. fact is, the team will always try to win and the best way of doing it is allowing the div0 to take all the best armors, etc. which is boooooring.

i think ive made my point, my advice is to separate players into maximum 3 levels: pro, intermediate, easy then, game away! You can use qwdl divisons to make comparisons.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2008-10-10, 16:30
14 posts

May 2008
Point taken, but i don´t there will be enough sign ups to divide players that way. And to me it is 80% of the fun to see with whom I am going to play with and trying to adjust to it. I don´t think many if none of the DIV0 players will join anyway. There is many aspects, surely the teams can be very badly balanced, but this gives more expenrienced players to show what they are really made of by playing with a rookie against two intermediate players. In another point of view some rookies may have their first fifteen minutes in the fame and maybe advance far this way. Some may find that annoying and some might like it.

Rules and the CUP system is finished for the first official season. Maybe they will change to upcoming seasons. I have had many complaints about the powerups on in DM4 and DM6 too.
2008-10-10, 20:44
1329 posts

Apr 2006
luckyshot wrote:
but this gives more expenrienced players to show what they are really made of by playing with a rookie against two intermediate players.

That just doesn't work. Pro+noob won't stand a chance against two average players, not even if he's some of the best duel players out there. With the egos floating around these days you are surely cutting off some of the possible players and making losing annoying.

luckyshot wrote:
In another point of view some rookies may have their first fifteen minutes in the fame and maybe advance far this way.

I think not. Even if such team would win a map or two, it wouldn't be up to the worse player.

Just make it at least two divisions: noobs and oldies (the way they did it on KTK/FTK/kenyawhatever)
Servers: Troopers
2008-10-10, 21:24
14 posts

May 2008
Well the first season will show how it will work this way and if it is a catastrophe then the concept will fade to darkness or follower by another season with adjusted rules or the same rules.
I think this brings some new winds to the scene and everyone should give it a show!

If you dont think that a top notch player will make it far with a rookie player then we will propably see two advanced or semi-pro players winning and i see that as a good thing. Main thing is that you don´t know the level of you pair or the level of your opponent team before the lottery.
2008-10-11, 13:03
156 posts

Mar 2006
Renzo wrote:
That just doesn't work. Pro+noob won't stand a chance against two average players, not even if he's some of the best duel players out there. With the egos floating around these days you are surely cutting off some of the possible players and making losing annoying.

Rare occasion, but I totally agree with Renzo. Removing the randomness from the team-creation will just lead to more whine, with players complaining about being classified as "Pro" and thus having to play together with some rookie. I say keep it totally random!

Luckyshot: Nice initiative dude. Just please make sure you stay selective when it comes to the signups and don't allow players that are unable to provide an IRC channel which they can regularly be found on. I guess the biggest danger in creating random teams is teammates and opponents not finding each other or not even bothering to look for each other.
A few years back there was supposed to be a nice tourney called "PickMeUp!", where the admins created random 4on4 teams which were supposed to play against each other. Despite having a nice (and functional) platform for the tourney, as well as having dedicated admins, a shocking ZERO games got played, simply because some of the players were never to be found on QuakeNet.
Anyway; Good luck, I for one think it's a great idea.
2008-10-11, 13:24
14 posts

May 2008
Yes it will be totally random and all the players are treates as equal in the lottery.

I have tried to compare the sign ups to the QWDL and see if the players have played their games. I will not be accepting players with 0 played games.

I was thinking about random 4on4 cup too, but i thought that it would be nearly impossible to get the games played as Soma stated above. Getting 8 guys online is hard work ever for two clans not even talking about random guys who are spread over Europe with different time zones etc.

I need more sign ups!
  10 posts on 1 page  1