User panel stuff on forum
  41 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Client Talk
2008-10-06, 15:47
344 posts

Apr 2007
yeah..lets just stick with REAL Quakeworld. I think trying to get nQuake advertised on Steam is a great idea though.
2008-10-19, 18:10
685 posts

Jul 2007
I think that most fps players just don't want to play qw because it's too hardcore in every way. Or because it seems dull. Lot's of people think it's only running around and shoot and that other games are more 'evolved' in terms of possibilities - more stuff you can do in a game. So even with new graphics, I wonder if that would attract more players that are now playing TF2 or something like that.

I've also heard that the Half-Life Source engine has a big flaw when it comes to online playing, but since I don't play it anyway, I forgot what it was exactly, but all games using that engine suffer from it. I know this from a video review of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Anyway, if there will be a new qw with heavy graphics that requires me to buy a new pc, I'd probably quit playing. I don't really want a computer specifically for gaming, I just like to game on the side. I do not want an energy sucking monster vidcard in my system, even though I have the money to buy one. I only play some old qw now and then, so my gf6600 is good enough to play that. All these monster cards you got today that require a system with a 500 Watt power supply is just ridiculous in my opinion.

If you really would like to recreate qw on another engine, I think it's better to use the q3 engine, but only when you can exactly recreate the current qw physics, which is probably impossible on another engine anyway. But if that is possible, then you can also add clip brushes to the popular levels, like in q3, so you can't get stuck and you can ramp jump the stairs etc. If q3 is the most popular quake, which it is, then learn from that. Just don't change the qw movement and physics and sounds and feel. In other words: don't change the aspects that make the game attractive to current players.

I'd rather promote nquake indeed, updated with the suggestions I gave above. I've been on the steam forums and checked out the quake1 topics... these guys can't even get the game to work properly and often don't know the difference between quake and quakeworld. The information from Valve was pathetic at that time and probably still is.
2008-12-24, 13:03
26 posts

Feb 2007
do QuakeWorld v2!
2008-12-24, 18:57
126 posts

Oct 2006
Spirit wrote:
I too think this is a useless idea that would benefit QuakeWorld in no way.

Maybe you are new to this community and missed the recent magnificient influx of new players?

Word...

Why give qw to all the stupid cs-kids?? QW is a good game with a good community. I would love to see the QW scene grow bigger! But not with the cost of gameplay quality. I quit playing steam games cuz the people there is just random and cheating. That's nothing i want to happen to QW. Let it grow with less randomness. I think the QW-Dreamhack-tourney, better client and setups is a good way in growing. : )
2008-12-25, 15:29
705 posts

Feb 2006
Didn't anyone listen to me?
2008-12-25, 20:53
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Tonik wrote:
If anyone were to make a free remake of QW on a new engine, I don't see a point in using a proprietary engine, there being so many great open-source ones around (Warsow/qfusion, ioQuake3)

I think the idea here is as much about latching on to the platform (Steam) and associated publicity as the game engine itself. Presumably that's much easier to do if you're a Source modder.

Personally I think it's pretty cool that we've got a client with quite a lot of enhancements and 'pro-features' (ezquake) which is still backward compatible with the old 2.3x stuff from 10 years ago. Most of the commands are still the same so oldtimers can pick it up again pretty quickly (a pet hate of mine is commands getting renamed and the originals removed - vid_describemodes getting changed to vid_modelist, stuff like that...).

Although, having said that, one does need to ask the question as to whether legacy support is worth the limitations it imposes on what developers can do (something Tonik will have a far better idea of than me!), especially now that the majority of active servers in Europe are probably not running vanilla qwsv any more.
2009-01-26, 20:39
60 posts

Apr 2006
Why not just update the ezquake graphic pipeline to support the latest shader FX? Even better, have the pipeline support shaders exported from a popular shader editor like Render Monkey. Optimized shaders have very fast render processing and would make QW potentially look like today's games. Just imagine what bump-mapping alone could do. The only major thing missing after that would be to upgrade the support of Curved Surface Geometry, terrain and matinee/cut scenes. The physics is already "good enough" as far as game-play goes and largely why we all still play the game. The AI is pretty much already all we need for events like the LGC tournies. If graphics is the only problem wouldn't it be easier to just upgrade the graphics pipeline?
2009-01-27, 01:18
60 posts

Apr 2006
Also, if such a mod reached any level of success (and probably even if it didn't), of which I gather is the point of this endeavor, say good-bye to anything that was old, faithful and true to QW. Time and again developers have attempted to recreate or port Quake1 to other platforms (including Q2&Q3) only to have IdSoftware breath fire up their asses. It isn't in their interest to have you re-create Quake on another engine, especially one they don't even own. The bottom line is it would likely inevitably violate the GPL and force IdSoftware to shut you down or strip you down to a mod that is entirely different than QW. Unless your aim is to piss off the guys who made Quake, I see this initiative as being futile. Probably the best you could do is have a mod that is similar to CMPA. Instead of wasting your time, it would be much better spent if you were to follow the advice of my previous post
2009-01-27, 09:04
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Somehow bumpmapped blingbling with shades does not fit into the same sentence with CPMA for me.
2009-01-27, 14:06
86 posts

Aug 2007
Spirit: Then you're in for a surprise with PMX (the new CPMA). (I'm basically lead artist on the team now)
http://www.bendarling.net | http://www.reflexfps.net
2009-01-27, 15:41
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Damn you, you have work to do for Quake.

Can't wait to see how PMX turns out, it's got so much potential (and now even more, heh).
  41 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page