User panel stuff on forum
  3 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2008-09-07, 16:40
87 posts

Oct 2006
It might be just me, but I just got my new ATI 4850 and noticed that the tearing seems worse than with my old GeForce 6800
and Intel onboard gfx. This is EZQuake.

Anyone else noticed this?

More precisely the tearing cross section seems bigger and flickers annoyngly, maybe 15-20 lines tall on my 800x600 display.

Wheras on the Intel onboard gfx, as long as FPS stays above 400 or so, the tear is simply a line showing the slight displacement between the upper and lower portion of the frame.

My old GF6800 was fried some months ago, so I can't remember exactly how it looked, but I'm pretty sure I didn't notice much of the
tearing at all.

So, question is: does ATI cards produce more tearing than the NVIDIAs or is it just something I'm missing.

This is on a LCD screen at 75Hz and I'm using cl_physfps 75.

/PaRa
2008-09-07, 18:03
1329 posts

Apr 2006
PaRadiZer wrote:
So, question is: does ATI cards produce more tearing than the NVIDIAs or is it just something I'm missing.

There should be no difference, however from what I've read from, there can be slight difference in "microstuttering" or whatever they call it (the small time difference in frametime smoothness).

Avoid using multiple framerates of your screen refreshrate (ie, 150, 225, 300, etc).
Servers: Troopers
2008-09-08, 22:58
87 posts

Oct 2006
Renzo wrote:
PaRadiZer wrote:

There should be no difference, however from what I've read from, there can be slight difference in "microstuttering" or whatever they call it (the small time difference in frametime smoothness).

Avoid using multiple framerates of your screen refreshrate (ie, 150, 225, 300, etc).

Now that's funny, by doing exactly the opposite I actually reduced the number of flickering lines to just a couple. It's almost barable now. :-) Still, have to get hold of a GeForce to make some comparisons.

/PaRa
  3 posts on 1 page  1