User panel stuff on forum
  23 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2008-09-07, 06:51
73 posts

Jul 2008
From what I understood the next version of flash player will allow for hardware gpu acceleration.
The demonstration of quake starts at 5:05.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hX-Uh3oTcE

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/6269/38128476rr3.jpg
2008-09-07, 16:05
6 posts

Sep 2008
no way that sounds freakin awsome , imagine what people will be able to do with that?!
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9863/prybanwb0.png

Dark Places Users copy and paste this into your console to connect!
Connect prydon.selfip.com
2008-09-07, 21:20
1026 posts

Feb 2006
this is pretty pointless by now
you can already embed a 3D application in a browser and don't have to run a gimped Flash version

check out the games over @ http://instantaction.com (including Falling Empires: Legion - Tribes spiritual sequel.. rox!)
or Quake Live if you have beta access
god damn hippies >_<
2008-10-19, 22:01
12 posts

Nov 2007
Aquashark wrote:
you can already embed a 3D application in a browser and don't have to run a gimped Flash version

I disagree. Having to install a bunch of web components to run a browser based game is a pain and many people simply won't do it. Being able to run a full 3d application within a flash environment means instant access for virtually anyone with an internet connection.

Not only that, but porting an existing game source to actionscript would be much easier than rewriting it to run in a brower. I think qw would get a LOT more exposure if it could be ran from a browser, but so far I haven't seen any ezQuake devs jumping at the idea. This new flash player could change that.
2008-10-20, 06:55
1100 posts

Jan 2006
The people would still need to have the pak1.pak somewhere.
"Running from a browser" has been possible with Java for years (and it will be loading faster in Windows soon/now).
ezQuake supports qw:// links that launch it from inside the browser.
2008-10-20, 13:19
35 posts

Mar 2006
Dustin wrote:
Aquashark wrote:

I disagree. Having to install a bunch of web components to run a browser based game is a pain and many people simply won't do it. Being able to run a full 3d application within a flash environment means instant access for virtually anyone with an internet connection.

Not only that, but porting an existing game source to actionscript would be much easier than rewriting it to run in a brower. I think qw would get a LOT more exposure if it could be ran from a browser, but so far I haven't seen any ezQuake devs jumping at the idea. This new flash player could change that.

Quote:
virtually anyone with an internet connection

*virtually anyone with an internet connection who has downloaded a propriety web component called Flash
<@Meez> #mor @ quakenet.
2008-10-20, 15:40
251 posts

Jul 2007
No meez, virtually anyone: http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration.html
2008-10-20, 19:59
12 posts

Nov 2007
Actually meez, Flash comes pre-installed on almost all new machines and web browsers. The last time I had to download and install a new web component to play a flash game was........never.

Here's the point I'm trying to make: a game that runs in flash is better because everyone already has it (at least everyone that matters), and wouldn't be required to install anything else in order to play it.

Put yourself in a publisher's position. If you wanted your browser game to get as much exposure as possible, would you rather force your visitors to install some new web component from a developer they've never heard of, or have it run completely within flash (a component they should already have), with no browser dependence whatsoever?

Now, just in case my point still isn't clear, observe the following:

enter site ---> play game

IS BETTER THAN

enter site ---> install whatever activex component ---> play game

You don't have to be a marketing genius to know that fewer steps equals more conversions. This means that more people will play your game if they don't have to install anything first. Now, if this still doesn't make sense, then you should probably kill yourself.
2008-10-20, 20:23
344 posts

Nov 2006
I think that http://alternativaplatform.com/en/demos/bunker/ shows nicely how at least a spectating experience could look like. It is playable aswell but probably performs poor compared to a nativ application.
2008-10-20, 20:48
793 posts

Feb 2006
nice but i can't seem to find rl.
2008-10-21, 07:06
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Dustin wrote:
Now, if this still doesn't make sense, then you should probably kill yourself.

After you, for forgetting about the need for pak1.pak.
2008-10-22, 20:45
12 posts

Nov 2007
My response was to Aqua who said the new features in flash 10 were pointless, and to meez for being a smug jerk Besides, whether or not you can port qw doesn't make gfx acceleration in flash any less useful. My point still stands, so go ahead and kill yourself.

And to address your point, what's wrong with having qw shareware available for people to play?
2008-10-22, 21:56
35 posts

Mar 2006
Dustin wrote:
Actually meez, Flash comes pre-installed on almost all new machines and web browsers. The last time I had to download and install a new web component to play a flash game was........never.

Here's the point I'm trying to make: a game that runs in flash is better because everyone already has it (at least everyone that matters), and wouldn't be required to install anything else in order to play it.

Put yourself in a publisher's position. If you wanted your browser game to get as much exposure as possible, would you rather force your visitors to install some new web component from a developer they've never heard of, or have it run completely within flash (a component they should already have), with no browser dependence whatsoever?

Now, just in case my point still isn't clear, observe the following:

enter site ---> play game

IS BETTER THAN

enter site ---> install whatever activex component ---> play game

You don't have to be a marketing genius to know that fewer steps equals more conversions. This means that more people will play your game if they don't have to install anything first. Now, if this still doesn't make sense, then you should probably kill yourself.

Doesn't stop it from being a propriety web component called Flash does it? I don't mind if developers use this as a solution, but I doubt it's the best direction for Quakeworld.

Plus adobe will probably wait a few years before releasing linux builds like always.
<@Meez> #mor @ quakenet.
2008-10-23, 08:52
89 posts

Jul 2007
someone should just make a custom non-copyrighted pak1 with some new models/sounds/and some of the TONS of the custom maps there is.. atleast there will be a free MULTIPLAYER version of qw.
with the mass of talented artists and what not i dont think this is that impossible no?

...all it takes i guess is for ppl to let go of their pressious "faithful".. or just stick with their originals instead of the flash version.
test one two.
2008-10-23, 09:54
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Sheikh Plisken wrote:
someone should just make a custom non-copyrighted pak1 with some new models/sounds/and some of the TONS of the custom maps there is.. atleast there will be a free MULTIPLAYER version of qw.
with the mass of talented artists and what not i dont think this is that impossible no?

That dream has been dreamt a million times.

There would be no reason for any QW player to change, QW is fine, there would be no advantage for a QW player to use a "browser" thing.
Also, nQuake is pretty much the cream on the top of what is possible legally. Installing it takes 2-3 minutes for me (on Linux).

Using the shareware to create something "standalone" is not allowed.
2008-10-23, 13:04
89 posts

Jul 2007
for established players, sure there is no reason...
but if you want more NEW players fast.. i think a flash version on a webpage is far superior than installing ezquake and set everything up.

after a while people who like the game will probably "graduate" to the standalone, superior version.

its win win.
test one two.
2008-10-23, 15:43
251 posts

Jul 2007
meez wrote:
Doesn't stop it from being a propriety web component called Flash does it? I don't mind if developers use this as a solution, but I doubt it's the best direction for Quakeworld.

I don't see your point. How is the IA, ActiveX, or whatever solution not proprietary? While Flash is kind of a quasi standard by now with good market penetration that works cross-platform, i.e. not that bad, IA is far from it. Both have "that" one drawback and you use it to speak against one of both solutions.

Edit: I'm not a Flash evangelist btw.
2008-11-15, 22:22
12 posts

Nov 2007
meez wrote:
Doesn't stop it from being a propriety web component called Flash does it?

Yeah, it's a proprietary web component that EVERYONE ALREADY HAS. Therefore, it would be a better direction than any other web component that people would have to install in order to use. Are you trying to be difficult or what? Also, you don't think being able to play a game from a browser window would help in attracting new players? Please explain.
2008-11-16, 08:44
51 posts

Apr 2007
In my opinion the only real sense of using flash is like what is shown in that flash 10 presentation already: playing dem/qwd/mvd's in a browser based environment, what would be some kind of nice, watching qw demos from places without qw installed... and therefore you could use free stuff instead of the proprietary parts of qw, since watching demos is not about playing and so not about cheating and whining about cheating (well, not always / most of the time, and the other time you could use the original files with your favorite client ) :S

sincerly

oRe
2008-11-17, 12:12
312 posts

Feb 2006
Dustin wrote:
meez wrote:
Doesn't stop it from being a propriety web component called Flash does it?

Yeah, it's a proprietary web component that EVERYONE ALREADY HAS. Therefore, it would be a better direction than any other web component that people would have to install in order to use. Are you trying to be difficult or what? Also, you don't think being able to play a game from a browser window would help in attracting new players? Please explain.

It still is a component you need to download. You're getting so mad explaining how it isnt that it's funny.
2008-11-25, 20:05
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Doom on Flash10 (i haven't bothered to try it)
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2008-11-25, 21:51
303 posts

Jun 2007
Sweet, but in my browser it runs slower than Doom2 on GBA...
2008-11-26, 07:42
1026 posts

Feb 2006
Flash performance for this stuff isn't quite stellar
that's why my first post still stands

Quake Live runs almost flawless..
god damn hippies >_<
  23 posts on 1 page  1