User panel stuff on forum
  32 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
General Discussion
2008-06-14, 22:04
31 posts

May 2008
QuakeWorld Impacted

A lot of the best discoveries were accidents - the universal law of gravitaty, penicillin, dynamite and the QuakeWorld gameplay. There really will be nothing like it ever again.

This compilation has been created to revitalize and propagate QuakeWorld among the community of FPP/FPS gamers. Its content is assembled from artwork of various QuakeWorld contributors with my modest input.

True, there is nQuake which is an excellent project. However, the package I submit is far more complete. You don't need to have, download or configure anything else to enjoy the QuakeWorld experience to the fullest in terms of both graphics and gameplay.
Also, there are ready configurations that will require very little amendments to suit most players' needs. Just install and run the shortcut appropriate to your hardware and preferences.

As a bonus, there is ‘out-of-the-box’ widescreen support.

How to get it?
http://torrentz.eu/bda6b951134e639febda09a49e93b04feb2b3fb2
Or just google for QuakeWorld Impacted

I. QuakeWorld Impacted v2.6 consists of THREE parts. You may choose to install the first two or the third one. To install everything, you will need to run this installation twice.

------------------------------
1. QuakeWorld
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/4068/qihqqu6.th.jpg

The most up-to-date QuakeWorld client and graphics for both multi and single-player (yes, monsters - some new, some reskinned) engagements. Breathtaking eye-candy features will bring you up to speed with today’s QuakeWorld, whether it is your first time with the game or you are a Quake 1 veteran. If you played old-school Quake years ago, you are in for some serious shock.
This option includes bots and dedicated game server.

2. QuakeWorld Pro
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/4931/qilqgg7.th.jpg

QuakeWorld for professional online gaming, tuned for maximum performance and efficiency. Based on the most up-to-date client and Def’s config with some modifications done by myself. This version is meant for efficient fragging, so if you are looking for visual experience go for option No 1.
This option includes bots.

3. QuakeWorld Q3
This version of the game includes advanced graphics that make QuakeWorld look and sound very much like Quake 3 Arena. Far from faithful but interesting, especially for Q3A players. However this version is graphically inferior to option No 1.
Included as a tribute to and completely based on “QuakeWorld by Impact v0.9” which has been released in 2005 as the very first version of this package.

II. If you have a panoramic monitor, use "Panoramic" shortcuts. If the panoramic picture you get does not fill entire screen, try running "Panoramic 75Hz".
If it doesn't help, you need to manually edit BAT file, setting the proper refresh frequency with '-freq' parameter.

To set higher resolutions, you will need to edit BAT files as well.

III. Make sure you visit quakeworld.nu and its forums regularly.
For some awesome movies, go here.

IV. Credits go to entire QuakeWorld community.

I hope you'll enjoy this release and the greatest FPS game of all time.

Impact a.k.a Mav
--------
iO!
2008-06-15, 16:18
1100 posts

Jan 2006
So you are compiling a package from the work of others, call it after yourself, don't give any other specific credit, include the full game and don't realise that bat files (commandline) are stupid for modern ezquake?

Who made that nice painting you so nicely put "collage by Impact" on?

Be happy I can't or I would have deleted this thread without hesitating.
2008-06-15, 16:43
793 posts

Feb 2006
to be fair he gave "credit to the community" in his post.

i can't comment on the quality of the package because i can't run a .exe on mac os. in general i think any effort to make qw more popular should be applauded.
the first thing that came to my mind was that the creator of this package should think about helping with nquake instead of releasing a separate bundle.

all things aside this raises a good question - where is the nquake .torrent??

edit: i like that thing about penicillin and qw gameplay
2008-06-15, 16:55
31 posts

May 2008
Spirit wrote:
So you are compiling a package from the work of others, call it after yourself

Yes, since I put the work into getting it all together, setting it up and compiling into an installer.

Quote:
don't give any other specific credit

Too many to keep track of. Yeah, my bad but I prefer to put the effort into releasing the package rather than spending hours on tracking down authors of every little thing there is. I stated quite bluntly it's mostly not mine work and the general direction where the credits go.

Quote:
include the full game

You bet your ass I do. That's a huge convenience for new players who can't get their hands on original paks. Do you have any idea how faint is the urge to get QW up and running in someone who grew up on Q3/ut2k4 and all he knows about QW is that it's 12 years old, ugly, hardly played by anyone and probably not worth the trouble?
What? Legal issues? I didn't ask you to host it.

Quote:
and don't realise that bat files (commandline) are stupid for modern ezquake?

Or you don't realize windows shortcuts have limited command line lenght.

Quote:
Who made that nice painting you so nicely put "collage by Impact" on?

The figure of the Quake guy I found years ago somewhere in the net. No idea who made it.
All the rest I did myself.

Quote:
Be happy I can't or I would have deleted this thread without hesitating.

Meaning you prefer we focus on biting eachother rather than making it as easy as possible for newbies to get into the game?
Well mate... whatever makes you happy.
--------
iO!
2008-06-15, 17:16
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
Im happy that you are doing this!!
commercial on bittorrent site's might not be legal but its still commercials!

You could write down a link to nquake somewhere if you wanted, like this: "For legal use of this game, head over to www.nquake.com" or something similar! Welcome to the scene
2008-06-15, 17:24
31 posts

May 2008
Thx, sassa. If you run the installer, it directs you to quakeworld.nu.
I guessed from there anyone will find his way to anywhere he wants to go.

Quote:
Welcome to the scene

Back, welcome back. I'm retired, not a newb
--------
iO!
2008-06-15, 17:52
518 posts

Jan 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Latest ezquake doesn't need a cmd line it can change everything on the fly.
2008-06-15, 20:01
303 posts

Jun 2007
First package would run at my pc with 20 fps, second looks worse than my setup, and Q3 thing is heresy ;P And i have stupid internet provider and can't get torrents to work. So i'll stick to nQuake.

P.S. I believe commandline was already unnecessary about two ezQuake versions ago. And i almost forget that .bat files even exist xD
2008-06-15, 21:30
224 posts

Mar 2007
Spirit, why such a dick about nothing?
2008-06-16, 00:29
121 posts

May 2006
yeah.... u should just add the settings ( such as vid resolution and displayfrequency ) right into the config.cfg file, after setting it in-game and saving it by simply typing "cfg_save" ... or even include some config versions and a little instruction how to load them.....

bat files are indeed urrrrrkk :<
. - - -- Words are stones in my Mouth.. -- - - . [url=http://profile.xfire.com/katataniel][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/2/katataniel
2008-06-16, 01:20
1329 posts

Apr 2006
impact0r wrote:
Quote:
include the full game

You bet your ass I do.
What? Legal issues? I didn't ask you to host it.

Yes, legal issues. Absolutely them. We have rules that state the following:
Quote:
4) The discussion or distribution of illegally-obtained software (i.e. warez/appz/crackz etc) is not allowed on these forums.

Now that you ARE providing info on how to get FULL game, it is something we can't allow. Not even if you mean all good.

Quote:
Quote:

You don't need a shortcut, or if you do you don't need to specify any specific command line parameters there. Everything can be set to config.cfg file and it will get loaded automatically.
Servers: Troopers
2008-06-17, 10:08
31 posts

May 2008
murdoc wrote:
Latest ezquake doesn't need a cmd line it can change everything on the fly.

Well, my mistake then. When I was still around everything was done by cmd line. Now, when I came back and made this package I wasn't aware of everything new and I used bats since this time I wasn't able to pack everything into the shortcut.
But anyway, it's working so there's no disaster.

Herb wrote:
First package would run at my pc with 20 fps

Try "gl_detail 0"

Renzo wrote:
Now that you ARE providing info on how to get FULL game, it is something we can't allow. Not even if you mean all good.

You're right but that kinda goes to def's setup thread as well, doesn't it? And since the degree of illegality in both packages is identical and I haven't seen any complaints in his well-established thread, I submitted mine.
--------
iO!
2008-06-17, 12:12
1435 posts

Jan 2006
impact0r wrote:
But anyway, it's working so there's no disaster.

It actually is kind of disaster, it makes certain settings not working, printing confusing warnings into the console and maybe some other things that make new users feel not quite comfortable. It is a deprecated way. Don't take this personally or anything, but users really have problems with this particular thing, judged by the feedback on #ezquake and other places where people ask for help.

Also making new and new packs causes additional complications you might not even realize. For example I have to have nQuake installed on my PC along with another "Clean Quake" install here on my PC (+ server setup, that makes total 4 Quake installs for me) so that I can give users good advices when they come and say "I have nQuake installed and <something> is not working as I want". So if you decide to create another pack like this, things get even more complicated.

I'd suggest two things:
1) remove pak1.pak (in the end if someone wants to get this game illegaly, getting your pack and getting pak1.pak is same "complicated" in my opinion)
2) try to think how to incorporate some of your changes which target new user into nQuake (with the credits stuff done properly I think empezar would welcome your feedback)
2008-06-17, 13:29
31 posts

May 2008
JohnNy_cz, thanks for the feedback.

I know about the confusing printing and, telling the truth, it concerned me too. Still, since it only occurs when you start the game I decided to leave it be and give my limited time to aspects I saw more vital.

I am aware my pack has it flaws but I still think it is the easiest, fastest and most convenient way to get into the game for someone who doesn't have Quake and knows little about today's QW. In my time, I did a considerable share of QW recruiting and dealt with nearly all of possible issues involved with getting new players into the game. Such package, a kind of &#8216;all-in-one&#8217;, &#8216;no-nonsense&#8217; or &#8216;fool-proof&#8217; (do I sound like a street advert yet?) package is what very often makes a difference between a disencouraged, failed convert and a new QW enthusiast.

So, I don&#8217;t think I will be doing any update of the package which is also because dealing with the entire project by myself is beyond the free time resources I have. I might rather get involved with nQuake.
--------
iO!
2008-06-17, 14:38
705 posts

Feb 2006
at least you gave it a good run =)
2008-06-17, 18:05
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Contributing to nQuake is a good idea, thanks.
2008-06-17, 18:39
News Writer
254 posts

Mar 2006
Fair play impact0r. Hope you can help out with nQuake.
I ain't got no time for this jibber jabber fool
2008-06-18, 08:37
685 posts

Jul 2007
Recently, on xs4all, there was this guy who bought quake from Valve's Steamserver and tried to play with it... There's such bad info there for these new players, they have to search on their forum for someone who knows something. And some probably don't do that either. He was connecting with standard quake to the xs4all qw server... After lot's of explaining he finally disconnected because I told him to get nquake... But I'm not sure if he did. I also warned him that he would get mauled here without any practice.

I think that a lack of info when buying the game + a lack of basic knowledge about online gaming (update your game with this and that patch/package, etc) will prevent people to have a good quake experience. On top of that, public ffa servers are rare in the extreme. Quite honestly I think that if that doesn't change the game just can't be popular, no matter what package comes out. And even if it changes, then still they'll probably blame everyone of cheating because you just can't play quake without doing some homework first.

I thought that perhaps you should have a version like 'noob quake', but it seems that Valve already made that:
http://steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=app&AppId=40&cc=NL

http://steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/40/0000000145.800x600.jpg

http://steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/40/0000000144.800x600.jpg

http://steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/40/0000000142.800x600.jpg

youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=mfMSxuTy5Zc

Yeah man, check out the movement on that ! Deathmatch for 70 y/o's
2008-06-18, 12:03
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
impact0r wrote:
True, there is nQuake which is an excellent project. However, the package I submit is far more complete. You don't need to have, download or configure anything else to enjoy the QuakeWorld experience to the fullest in terms of both graphics and gameplay.

impact0r wrote:
I am aware my pack has it flaws but I still think it is the easiest, fastest and most convenient way to get into the game for someone who doesn't have Quake and knows little about today's QW.

fQuake did that (include *everything* that someone might want to have), and it didn't work out very well. Sometimes, less is more. That's why I made nQuake. I don't think it can get much easier than a "next, next, next" installation followed by a "connect <server>" (or use of server browser). I'd love to hear how it could be though. Just having 3 different "setups" makes things more complicated.

Gonna try it out before I say more though. If I can just find a link somewhere.

dEus wrote:

Why would nQuake need a torrent file, if not for including pak1.pak? If anyone wanted to do that, they could easily do it by using the CD Generator on the nQuake website.
2008-06-18, 13:26
793 posts

Feb 2006
empezar wrote:
dEus wrote:

Why would nQuake need a torrent file, if not for including pak1.pak? If anyone wanted to do that, they could easily do it by using the CD Generator on the nQuake website.

because bittorrent isn't a distribution system only for illegal contents! it's a huge, modern network with all kinds of stuff in it. there are many, many users (especially the younger generation would be my guess) that will look no further than at their favourite tracker's website.

precisely because nquake does *not* have any illegal content in it it could reach a wider audience via bt.
2008-06-18, 14:03
31 posts

May 2008
Empezar, I agree with you on the concept. However, if you take a look at my package you will see it does not really offer you that many complicated choices.

Let&#8217;s compare:

Once nQuake is installed, it gives you only one kind of setup. Offering of coloured lights and sharp textures makes it looking neat, true. However, this kind of graphics was QW&#8217;s tops somewhere in 2001 and in fact it doesn&#8217;t look much better than ID&#8217;s glquake on high resolution.

Now, if I want to make nQuake&#8217;s graphics the best QW can give, I need to do loads of researching, downloading, replacing and configuring.
On the other hand, if I want it to make it more &#8216;pro&#8217;, I also need to do fair share of work, ie. downgrading graphics, fiddling with explosions, setting proper skins, replacing hud elements...
This is all fine if the player has his mind set on playing QW. But if he&#8217;s just giving it a shot, checking out if it&#8217;s not just some dusty game for emotionally-attached old timers, there is a pretty good chance he will be deterred and the scene will lose yet another prospective member.

In my package, you get both: maximum (yet somewhat playable) eye-candy and bare graphics for pure fragging out-of-the-box. All you need to do is decide which shortcut to choose. Not complicated at all.

Once a new player get to know QW and grow attached to the game, his will and tolerance for advanced configuring will grow proportionally and then he may engage in modifying the setting to his specific liking.
Initially, however, we need to provide ready solutions that have the greatest chances to appeal to the taste of the newcomers.
This is the reason I have created this package.

I hope you will give it a try and work out your own opinion whether you agree with my concept or not.
--------
iO!
2008-06-18, 14:13
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Since I'm a Mac user, I will probably never agree on giving people choices

nQuake is designed to look good while still having great playability. It tries to imitate new games (ease of use), and most new games don't come with options to make it look great, pro or "quake3-ish". They simply have the option of turning off features to make the game more smooth - ezQuake takes care of this.

I don't want nQuake to look like a homebrew game.
2008-06-18, 16:14
805 posts

Mar 2006
The more you give choices to a noob, the more you complicate the game for him!

Should be nice a new Quake Pack with all kinds of pre configured eye candies. But if you want to make it easy to use, do not add many options.
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2008-06-18, 16:16
31 posts

May 2008
As I said, there are only two.
--------
iO!
2008-06-18, 17:20
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
I have just only installed this, and these are my complaints right now:

1) I get 7 shortcuts on my desktop after installing. That's way too much.
2) I didn't get to choose if I wanted shortcuts or not.
3) It appears pak0.pak & pak1.pak are included twice in the installer? This makes the installer a lot bigger than it has to be.
4) Pak1.pak is included. This makes it impossible to spread anywhere but underground since it's illegal.
5) The installer seems to be uncompressed. With a download speed of 50kb/s using your torrent, this seems like an odd choice.
6) Including both server and client clutters up the QuakeWorld installation. ezQuake is capable of hosting a server to play with friends, there's no need for a dedicated server in a package that is meant for "everyone".
7) As mentioned before, you "steal" a lot of contents without giving proper credits. It looks like you ripped half of nQuake's content without any mention of who made what, and where you got it from. This wouldn't be as bad if you hadn't credited yourself.
8) What's the point of including both QuakeWorld and QuakeWorld Pro when you only choose one of them during the installation?
9) The whole thing feels very homebrew. It's very hard to get away from this making a QuakeWorld package though.

I'll try the game out when I take the time to boot into Windows
2008-06-18, 18:02
31 posts

May 2008
Quote:
1) I get 7 shortcuts on my desktop after installing. That's way too much.
2) I didn't get to choose if I wanted shortcuts or not.

With the install creator, I had I had no choice. All shortuts are described and unused are easily deletable.
Freshers should not be given a choice of omitting the shortcuts as for an inexperienced users that would render problems running the game afterwards.

Quote:
3) It appears pak0.pak & pak1.pak are included twice in the installer? This makes the installer a lot bigger than it has to be.

Yeah, but again for the purpose of not making things messy, I had to include 2 different game folders and with the installer I had I had to double the files.

Quote:
4) Pak1.pak is included. This makes it impossible to spread anywhere but underground since it's illegal.

True but that was already discussed.
By the way, is downloading DM1-DM6 maps when connecting to a server with nQuake legal?

Quote:
5) The installer seems to be uncompressed. With a download speed of 50kb/s using your torrent, this seems like an odd choice.

It's compressed with the max option included in the installer creator. Uncompressed content is around 800mb (you didn't install QWQ3).

Quote:
6) Including both server and client clutters up the QuakeWorld installation. ezQuake is capable of hosting a server to play with friends, there's no need for a dedicated server in a package that is meant for "everyone".

Again, if one doen't like server, one may delete the shortcut. Nevertheless, in my opinion having a dedicated saver is useful and it 'clutters' the installation by merely 1mb.

Quote:
7) As mentioned before, you "steal" a lot of contents without giving proper credits. It looks like you ripped half of nQuake's content without any mention of who made what, and where you got it from. This wouldn't be as bad if you hadn't credited yourself.

I only credited myself for bringing it all together. That is quite explicit. When I installed nQuake did I miss credits to weapon skins/24bit texture creators? I'm not being cocky, I really didn't pay attention.

Quote:
8) What's the point of including both QuakeWorld and QuakeWorld Pro when you only choose one of them during the installation?

You choose QW+QW Pro or QWQ3. This is the choice.

Quote:
9) The whole thing feels very homebrew. It's very hard to get away from this making a QuakeWorld package though.

Isn't Quakeworld all about homebrew since the release of Quake 2?

Yes, the package has some excess fat and is not highly optimized for the file size, but does it really matter with today's broadbands and disk capacities? I don't think so therefore I gave up some of the compact size for the ease of installation and foolproofness.
--------
iO!
2008-06-18, 18:25
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
The main difference with nQuake credits is, I don't credit myself anywhere. I have an nQuake wiki entry (in my signature) where I give credits where it's due. I also include any credits text file that I can get a hold of, e.g. retexture readme.txt and all the text files in the maps directory. I don't have a centralized credits page on the nQuake website like I had for fQuake though. Nobody has complained about this, yet. If someone does, I will most likely start gathering credits for everything like I did for fQuake.

Downloading dm1-6 from servers is regulated by the server, not the client. And even if it was, downloading nQuake is not illegal, and can thus be distributed anywhere.

By the way, your QuakeWorld installation also violates the QuakeWorld shareware license and *drum roll* the GPL. It's a lot easier to get reported for breaking the GPL than for distributing a full version of an old game like QuakeWorld.
2008-06-18, 20:20
344 posts

Apr 2007
do you guys know what sounds and model this guy is using?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmY6ifoBHrw
2008-06-18, 20:34
805 posts

Mar 2006
Sounds like "quake guy getting laid"! :p
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2008-06-18, 20:51
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Trickle wrote:
do you guys know what sounds and model this guy is using?

Q3, patriot
  32 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page