User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Help  ‹  LCD(?) issues
  3 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2008-05-09, 21:00
31 posts

May 2008
I have just started playing QW on my laptop and I can see some weird effect that I haven't seen on the crt.
It cannot be captured so I made a rough simulation how it looks like:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6431/ezquake001up3.th.jpg

This is what happens when I make quick horizontal turns (ie. bunnyhopping). It looks like there are screen areas that are lagging behind when turning.
Difficult to see, cause it only lasts fraction of a second, but almost every turn it happens once or twice.
From what I can catch with my eye, it is also placed quite randomly, but rather exclusively somewhere in the middle height of the screen.

I already played around with cl_maxfps and -dibonly but to no avail.
Since I swithed to the laptop lcd I have no problems with smoothness per say, just this strange thing.

I am using Omega drivers with Geforce Go 6150 (shared mem) and XP.
--------
iO!
2008-05-09, 21:22
1329 posts

Apr 2006
That's tearing. There are two solutions:

1) turn on the vsync or...

2) increase your cl_maxfps to something like 300-500 (however the effectiveness of this can be different to that with CRT monitor)

Both have downsides; If you enable vsync it will cause more input lag (there's some solution in the newest ezQuake against this) and it also limits your fps to your monitor's refreshrate which is bad, especially if the monitor is only capable of 60Hz. The high fps problem could be that your computer can't run the fps stable all the time making the qw feel a bit irregular.
Servers: Troopers
2008-05-09, 21:30
31 posts

May 2008
I tried both, vsync in windows drivers and cl_maxfps 300 (my comp can only do 200-260 at dm4), but the problem is still there.

EDIT:
I switched on vsync in the ezQuake menu and it did the trick. Thanks.
--------
iO!
  3 posts on 1 page  1