User panel stuff on forum
  18 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2008-04-12, 23:08
171 posts

Jan 2006
Some players are known by several nicks. It's not easy to keep track of all names so an idea would be to have a list of names denoting the same player i.e. "$valla whajna nitram" would display "nitram (valla)" as nick when he is playing as nitram, valla would display simply "valla".

Then we need someone that can make a list of nicks ... ;>

$apa aap
$blaps noob jag_suger_pung klas

etc..
2008-04-13, 07:53
News Writer
436 posts

Jan 2006
http://www.web-smilie.de/smilies/ugly_smilies/ugly16.gif
2008-04-13, 08:41
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Wiki is a good place to search for aliases. If you need to know who is the player so badly, open up the wiki.
2008-04-13, 12:36
171 posts

Jan 2006
Okay, will do.
2008-04-13, 16:40
569 posts

Feb 2006
back in the good old days (2003?), there was a site that would keep track on which nicks were used from which IP-adresses.
2008-04-13, 17:21
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Exposure.

These days there could be only displayed nicknames that has been used with same IP-address, however IP-address would have to be edited away.

I have tens of megabytes (well, hundreds) of player logs (with getrealip enabled too) on my servers so someone could make a script that strips off IP-addresses but selects nicks been used with certain IP.
Servers: Troopers
2008-04-13, 18:04
569 posts

Feb 2006
in sweden it is illegal to gather ip-adresses if i recall correctly.. Or atleast i think it would require a special permit.
2008-04-13, 18:32
637 posts

Jan 2006
in most other civilized countries too, so I'd like to see that permit Renzo?
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2008-04-13, 19:28
344 posts

Nov 2006
Really? I mean almost every apache web server does access logging out there to generate statistics about a page. Also my syslog is logging ssh brackin attemps and displays the IP address where the attack was coming from. So am I breaking the law at the very moment someone tries to hack my server?

Though on the other hand I do understand the problematic making this information public and/or creating personality profiles on such data.
2008-04-13, 21:15
1329 posts

Apr 2006
It's not illegal (depending on the coutry) but actually service providers are required to do so. However giving those records out to someone else than officials (basically police force or similar) is.

goqsane wrote:
so I'd like to see that permit Renzo?

Even if it was required and I had one, I have no obligation to present it to you, nor would I do so.
2008-04-13, 21:18
1435 posts

Jan 2006
2008-04-13, 21:39
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Are we in trouble? I mean QW.nu. I just checked certain IP-address from the forum administration part and it gave me information about Deurk and all the IP-addresses (6 btw) he has used to logon here. Also I can see personal information about him like his birth date, email address, some general info on where he lives but he's been clever enough to hide his real name.
2008-04-13, 22:52
113 posts

Apr 2006
Quote:
How this affects your web operations

If you collect IP addresses and analyse them collectively – e.g. identifying the number of visitors from Japan or the most popular ISP – you should disclose this in your privacy policy, e.g. "When you visit our site we may automatically log your IP address, a unique identifier for your computer or other access device." To reassure visitors, you could add: "We will not use your IP address to identify you in any way."

If you wish to use IP addresses to identify or build a profile on each of your visitors as an individual, even if they are never identified by name, you should assume that the Data Protection Act applies. Only a court can decide for certain whether or not this is a processing of personal data to which the Act applies and there have been no court rulings on this point to date. The safest course is to assume that the Act does apply in these circumstances. A court will be influenced by the Information Commissioner's guidance on this point. Therefore you should make visitors aware of your intentions to use IP addresses and, where possible, gain consent before processing an IP address for these purposes, for example, via a data protection notice.

Put it in the rules/policies and I don't think it will be a problem.
biomass
2008-04-14, 00:22
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Heh, I was joking

I'm quite certain we break no laws here, at least as long as we don't start publishing this info we can gather starting from the IP-addresses.

(I actually made an internal memo for qw.nu about publishing IP-addresses due to privacy related issues on 25 Mar 2008 15:30:36)
2008-04-14, 08:38
1435 posts

Jan 2006
First of all I don't know in which countries this DPA applies (maybe in UK only), second, qw.nu does not apply because users are identified here with their login information (name/pass), not by the IP. They also build their profiles on their own, they publish their personal data with theirs own decision.

So back to IPs on QW server - I think connecting nicks together could be considered as "building a profile" or "identification". So, um, if some variant of this Act applies in other countries (any sources?), I guess it'd be illegal to do it? (I'm not sure)

But hey, marklar is fifi, nitram is valla, lacsap is xterm, shiva is memil, who cares for the rest anyway?
2008-04-14, 09:25
1100 posts

Jan 2006
I am all against this. For clans and official games the qwwiki should do. And everyone else should have the right to be "undercover" if they like.
2008-04-14, 11:04
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Don't worry, I have absolutely no intention of giving any people to access logs or giving them out to anyone (as it would be illegal here where I live in and I do live by the law). However fakers should die.
2008-04-14, 14:49
312 posts

Feb 2006
you don't actually have to play with fakers if you don't want to.. i personally quite much dislike faking and fakers but it would be norty to force fakers use their real names. how about adding a piece of text on the screen when joining a server, such as "as joining and/or using the server you hereby accept to the rules and privacy stuff explained more detailed with command /rlz" and like give out the nicks of the lame ones that tease other people and/or lie about not being a fake continuously
  18 posts on 1 page  1