User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Rookies' Corner
2008-03-10, 18:33
3 posts

Mar 2008
Fellow quakers:

Anyone else out there running a T61 Lenovo Thinkpad.

I've been very fond of thinkpads, and just a a new T61, and I have to say the video performance
just sucks. The older models were much better. Not sure if its my lack of experience with some of
the advanced configs or what, also heard the driver kind of sucks for this card.

Anyone else using this laptop, or have any tips to get it running smooth.

Much thanks,

fqlist
2008-03-10, 19:04
245 posts

Jan 2006
I've noticed very bad performance with my Thinkpad X41 T aswell.

It ships with a Intel 915g or something similair.

I would go for a T61 with Ati Radeon.

Don't even bother trying to get that fixed. Intel based graphic cards just stinks.

My old Thinkpad T42 had Ati Radeon 7500/w 32mb. It was nice.
2008-03-10, 20:19
3 posts

Mar 2008
Thanks raket:

Yeah, I have t42 with an ATI card and it rips .. really nice. I might have to
ship this thing back and get one with a better video card.

-Patrick.
2008-03-11, 11:50
271 posts

Feb 2006
I had an intel gfx card in a computer at work. FTE works just fine with it, but ezquake dropps to 10fps at times. Setting r_dynamic 0 in ezquake made it playable. I really have no idea how ezquake manages to loose so much fps with it though.
10fps is obtained in the episode selection room of start.bsp where all the torches are changing light levels in the e1, e4 room and into the obscured end portal. So its not just rockets (note that r_dynamic 0 not only stops dynamic lights, but also lightmap animations in ezquake). Like I said, FTE works just fine there with lightmap animations and everything, so I don't know what the heck is up with it. Not a permanant 72fps, but definitly a capable enough card for it to be playable.
It's gotta be something in the driver, but I really have no idea what.
But yeah, r_dynamic 0 should make ezquake or fuhquake playable with that card.
moo
2008-03-11, 17:34
23 posts

Jan 2007
hmm. i have Compaq presario F500. with turion dual C. and nVidia 6100 or sth. Go< it cannot deal with fuhquake but with EzQ it deals quite nice. fps are stable and mouse isn't lagged. on the other hand I'm very ...I mean very very far away of using it for PRO gaming and skill increasment. I watch demos and that's it.....
mfn
2008-03-12, 04:45
3 posts

Mar 2008
I've been banging on this ThinkPad T61, and actually got it running pretty well.

The video card is an Intel GMA X3100 (there can be some confusion which video
card it is) I think Lenovo likes to not mention its an Intel video card.

I too had the problem of the FPS dropping terribly, I think it might have something
to do with the sound as well as the video. I cranked the sound quality down, and
that seemed to help. I question the quality of the sounds and video drivers for
these chipsets.

I'm a big fan of thinkpads for quake, I like using the trackpoint, but was bummed
when the newer model did not perform as well as the one that was almost 3 years
old.

So I think we could bless the Lenovo t61 for ezquakeGL, just don't get too crazy with
the sounds and graphics.

-
  6 posts on 1 page  1