User panel stuff on forum
  52 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Graphics Discussion
2008-02-20, 10:12
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
I voted for other alternate shaft model, as I go with this one: http://gfx.qwdrama.com/details/89/
Join us on discord.quake.world
2008-02-20, 13:37
805 posts

Mar 2006
jOn wrote:
"Can someone plz tell me why ppl are trying to make qw something that it isnt?" or "There is nothing wrong with the shaftmodel the way it is." Someone might say or think...

But then again, why are we afraid of change? The game is over 10 years old now, and one thing that i love about this game (and gives me a reason to still play it) is that it never stops changing:

I highly doubt that i still would play qw if it looked the same way as it 10 years ago. The "change" that comes with new clients and mods keeps this game alive, lets not forget that.

Do not mistaken enhancing graphics with changes in the gameplay!
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2008-02-20, 13:45
626 posts

Jan 2006
another shaft doesn't change the gameplay vegetous ...
2008-02-20, 14:06
21 posts

Jun 2007
Quote:
And who the fuck gives a damn about the players coming from q3 or ut or painkiller? Learn how to use it properly in qw, that's all there is to it. Besides, qw is pretty much easy to start and configure by now (which is good), but let's not make it easier to play just for the sake of those so-called q3/ut/painkiller players, that are willing to start qw only to drop it after 2 weeks.

Anyone who want's to keep this game alive and populair really... the way I see it, you need newbies in a gaming community.

Explain to me why it would be easier to play with straight shaft...
And I'm a newbie, and I didnt drop the game, instead I'm trying to understand it, and participate in the community.

As for herb, you're taking the 'it isn't realistic aproach' but this is quakeworld we are talking about, and therefore, your argument is invalid.
2008-02-20, 14:10
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Terifire: Changing gameplay and QW wont be QW anymore.

Chaning models or graphics (as stated) is something completely different.
2008-02-20, 14:11
21 posts

Jun 2007
fog, I'm not saying it will change gameplay, I'm asking why people think it will change gameplay...
2008-02-20, 16:51
715 posts

May 2006
But if your logic says that changing the shaft model to straight will increase everyones shaft percentage by x percent, how is it then illogical to reduce shaft damage by y to re-balance the equation? (nicer feeling, same balance)

Or is it the fact that it's a step towards Q3 that makes it disgusting?
---Where can you see lions? Only in kenya! Come to kenya we've got lions.
2008-02-20, 17:11
95 posts

Jun 2006
molgrum wrote:
But if your logic says that changing the shaft model to straight will increase everyones shaft percentage by x percent, how is it then illogical to reduce shaft damage by y to re-balance the equation? (nicer feeling, same balance)

Or is it the fact that it's a step towards Q3 that makes it disgusting?

I think no one said it would be illogical, but then how will you be able to determine 'x' to begin with? As for the "step towards Q3", that indeed disgusts me.
2008-02-20, 17:12
231 posts

Jan 2006
Anyway i think particle shaft is good enough for the tweakers so... I dont care
2008-02-20, 18:04
626 posts

Jan 2006
fog wrote:

how can you say the shaft changes qw gameplay (physics that is) ?
2008-02-20, 18:13
6 posts

Mar 2006
Keep shaft as it is [x]
2008-02-20, 18:35
715 posts

May 2006
"how will you be able to determine 'x' to begin with?"

Probably, like all other tweaks, it will have to be tested for a period of time, re-tweaked during that time, until it could be perfect
2008-02-20, 18:35
715 posts

May 2006
I'm, using, lots, of, commas, btw!
2008-02-20, 19:32
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
phrenic wrote:
fog wrote:

how can you say the shaft changes qw gameplay (physics that is) ?

Lowering the shaft damage to 1 per cell doesn't change the physics either, but it sure would change the gameplay.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2008-02-20, 19:51
715 posts

May 2006
What's the difference between "Other alternate shaft model(specify in comment)" and "Alternate particle-shaft texture"?
2008-09-15, 17:43
401 posts

Mar 2006
molgrum wrote:
What's the difference between "Other alternate shaft model(specify in comment)" and "Alternate particle-shaft texture"?

"Other alternate shaft model" is a modified bolt2.mdl afaik.
2008-09-15, 17:46
401 posts

Mar 2006
Ok so majority wants straightshaft? Something like this? http://gfx.qwdrama.com/details/42/ Everyone is whining about it in other threads but the majority actually wants a modified straight bolt2 LOL

I say keep the old model and only allow particle shaft included in ezquake.
2008-09-16, 12:57
1435 posts

Jan 2006
The textures used for the particle shaft can be modified so that you can get straight one again (haven't tested personally, but that's what they say). Maybe a texture checksum could be checked by f_modified, but well it'd a very new approach..
2008-11-14, 03:41
10 posts

May 2008
To chime in here... you guys unfortunately already went down the slippery slope when ezQuake decided to offer changes to RL particle and explosion effects.

Without the RL explosion it is easier to see hits. Should ezQuake take them out? Purists would say yes. Then again, purists would also say we should be forced to keep kickpitch on and have our weapon bob up and down (because by golly, that was the way quake was intended!) You get angry about straightshaft (a tweak to improve game), but in the same breath, you don't mind tweaking your config to remove kickpitch (another tweak to improve game). Where is the difference?

Should we force all players to use the exact same config so that everything is "fair"? I mean seriously, I'm at a disadvantage if you use fullbright skins and I don't. Or if you remove water effects so you can see clear in the water. Or you have a weapon config that allows for easy weapon switching. Shall I go on?

Noobs that don't know about fullbrights are at an immediate disadvantage from game 1. Is that "fair"?

Fair is an illusion. The whole purpose of a config is to customize your game so your setup works for you. It is not a "skill" to have to learn to ignore distracting parts of a game, when qw has grown options options to remove the distracting parts. Your argument is more like "we had to suffer through it, so so do you." That may have flown in 1999, but it doesn't in 2008. The game has drastically change from the original qw binary. Changed for the better, I think. More options = more choices.

As far as pros go, the only thing that really matters is that we pick a standard code to play from. Everyone gets ezQuake, and everyone has the same set of cfg options. It's up to you to figure out which settings work best for your game. Adding straightshaft just adds another option to the mix that already exists. All it means that there's one more feature you can decide to have on or off. For the people who love original shaft, adding straightshaft doesn't matter. And for those that want it, it's there.

To sum up, I don't see a difference between the game improvement you get with fullbright skins, lack of kickpitch, etc and the game improvement you may or may not get with straightshaft. It doesn't change anything about how the shaft actually works, and it doesn't make you better at the shaft if you already suck with it. It's a graphics option, just like every other ezQuake graphics option.
2008-11-17, 08:53
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
FTE particle system so people can make their own shaft
2008-12-16, 13:16
20 posts

Nov 2008
Good support for mac users
2008-12-16, 22:31
312 posts

Jun 2006