User panel stuff on forum
  10 posts on 1 page  1
Graphics Discussion
2008-02-18, 15:51
21 posts

May 2007
I have been making some changes to my cfg recently and realised that with "r_dynamic 1" the glow of the powerups can be seen thrught the walls. I guess this is not a big suprise, but also a palyer eg. having a quad can also be seen from another room.. for example a quadded enemy on dm2 is clearly visible from low-rl approacing to low-button from the room with ra-mega. For me this seems clearly to be an advantage thinking of a situation when a team can act seeing the enemy quad coming. Also I have tried adding r_rocketlight 1 a rocket flying can be seen from another side of the wall if is is close enought. Sticking with dm2 this means, a rocket flying through "path" can be seen from the closed secret room. Watcing some demos with these settings, there are some situations when the position of an enemy in a room can be determined easily from the path the rocket light takes on the wall of an adjacent room or whatever...
I have tried this on servers too, and have set -ruleset smackdown.

Sorry if this topic had already been discussed, but I havent found any info about it so far. Im curious whether I have missed something or is this a matter of tase...
2008-02-18, 16:34
284 posts

Oct 2006
Sshhhhhhhhh >
2008-02-18, 16:37
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
what u say is true
dynamic lights are also nice to see from which direction the enemy rocket comes, therefore useful for calculating the aproximate position of the enemy
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2008-02-18, 16:42
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Seeing quad glow a bit thru wall is possible even without r_dynamic, isn't it.
2008-02-18, 18:46
357 posts

Mar 2006
in R_MarkLights, in gl_rlight.c

adding

// mark the polygons
surf = cl.worldmodel->surfaces + node->firstsurface;
for (i=0 ; i<node->numsurfaces ; i++, surf++)
{
dist = DotProduct (light->origin, surf->plane->normal) - surf->plane->dist; // <--- fix light bleeding through walls

if (dist >= 0)
sidebit = 0;
else
sidebit = SURF_PLANEBACK;

if ( (surf->flags & SURF_PLANEBACK) != sidebit ) //Discoloda
continue;

will fix the quad glow bug.. if its a dynamic light that is..
2008-02-18, 20:00
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
maki wrote:
[...] Watcing some demos with these settings, there are some situations when the position of an enemy in a room can be determined easily from the path the rocket light takes on the wall of an adjacent room or whatever... [...]

I think listening to sounds is still far superior than looking for rockets, thus i have dynamic light turned off for rockets i think. Would be too much flashing going on.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2008-02-18, 20:43
21 posts

May 2007
I guess u r right about the practical usage of glowing rockets, still in few situations it might make a difference... correct me if im wrong but what I was thinking of is for example in 2on2 ur getting into a fight 3rd or 4th, and if its the case u can see the rocks movement more accurately and make a fast aimed shot from a corner or something like that.. I cant think of any particular example right now

JohnNy_cz wrote:
Seeing quad glow a bit thru wall is possible even without r_dynamic, isn't it..

I think with r_dynamic the radius is much higher
2008-02-19, 07:33
405 posts

Jan 2006
Pointless thread, and actually must be called "r_dynamic 0: disadvantage".

r_dynamic is 1 by default, and "glow of the powerups can be seen thrught the walls" there for the ages and does't affected by ruleset, this is native for QW.

And, btw, u can controll how light works with more variables, like r_powerupsglow, r_rocketlight, gl_flashblend and what not.

I'm awaits thread like "+mlook CHEAT!"
<3
2008-02-19, 07:39
1026 posts

Feb 2006
qqshka wrote:
I'm awaits thread like "+mlook CHEAT!"

it is! bigfoot should come up with a fix any second now.. haw haw haw haw
god damn hippies >_<
2008-02-19, 10:24
271 posts

Feb 2006